“lovely stay, returning in nov”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

had a lovely stay on sat 8 march with my daughter. staff friendly and helpful. comfortable bed. buffet breakfast with everything you could wish for. We enjoyed the swimming pool, hot tub and sauna. Particularly liked that each bedroom corridor had an ice machine so you could just go fill your ice bucket for your room. peaceful, could not hear any noise from other rooms or guests. room had hairdryer, coffee tea facilities, toiletries, flat screen tv , ironing board and iron. location, opposite the beach. If you want a bit of luxury, this is the place to stay in sunderland.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan E
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you so much for your comments and I have passed on your kind words to the team. it is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback in a forum such as this one. Once again, my sincere thanks and we look forward to seeing you and your daughter back at the Sunderland Marriott in November.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed for two nights, requested Room 320 based on a previous Reviewer's comments, we weren't disappointed.
Double aspect room could be classed as a mini-suite, living area, bedroom, bathroom with a sea view. The room was very clean with a large very comfortable bed. Facilities provided included, hair dryer, security safe, ventilation fan, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee making facilities, a nice touch were the paper cups and lids to allow you to have a 'coffee to go', this facility is also available in the Restaurant at breakfast.
The staff were superb, Chelsea, Trainee Receptionist, Adnan, Bar Staff and Dilini at breakfast were particularly helpful.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return in May.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Stevros7

I am delighted to read your review and so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Sunderland Marriott. Our associates work extremely hard to ensure our guests’ satisfaction and those associates that you have mentioned in your review will be rewarded for their excellent customer service. I have also made them aware of your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in May.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

II am glad that I used reward points for this trip.Had it cost me real money then I would be after a refund.
The breakfast this morning had no food on offer,just empty trays and no butter either.The older lady was just stood around talklng with no interest in the lack of food.The restaurant was almost empty i would not like to think what it would be like if it was busy.
The previous day was very similar having to ask twice just to get coffee even though the dining room was dead.

We had a bill pushed under our door even though we did not owe any money.This after shivering through the night as the radiators are switched on and off at the hotels leisure.

Also another serious point is that the rooms have no sound proofing therefore you can hear people in the next room word for word.This was on the executive floor so paying a lot for a room is not going to give you a relaxing or quiet weekend.

Room Tip: bring some ear plugs and prey the next room is empty
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank terryukSouthport
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am very sorry to read about the issues you encountered during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused and please be assured that the points you have raised will be addressed by my team.

I do appreciate the feedback you have provided and I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments in further detail so please do contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, Friday/Saturday at the end of Feb 2014. Booked a superior room which was well worth the small extra cost as we had a great sea view and a very large room that contained a sofa, chair & table as well as 2 Samsung tvs. The bathroom was more than adequate and had a separate shower cubicle.
I know that people did stay in adjoining rooms (we were in 320) but can honestly say that we didn't hear any noise from inside the hotel. There was a little road noise but this stopped overnight.
We had no problem parking as it appeared most people hadn't found the underground bit of the car park!
All the staff were very friendly and helpful but not at all intrusive which made our short stay even more enjoyable.
The breakfasts were excellent on both days. The scrambled egg was pretty awful but freshly-cooked fried eggs made up for that. The porridge was also very tasty and the portions very generous.
We ate in the Hotel restauramnt on the Friday night, there was a live singer performing war-time songs which was a bit different. It seemed that quite a few locals had come along for this. The menu highlighted Northern Food and what we ate, Chicken stuffed with black pudding & Northumbrian Beef, was excellent. Much better than we had expected. The puddings were also generous and tasty as was the cheese platter. There were starters on the menu but we didn't try these although people at the adjacent table certainly enjoyed their's. It cost £19.95 for 2 courses but this was discounted by 20% for Hotel residents which was a very good deal.
We fancied something different the 2nd night so visited Gabriele's Italian restaurant just down the road (150m). There are lots of other restaurants nearby.
We didn't use the pool or gym but plenty of other people did.
As for criticisms, well, as other reviewers have said the rooms are a little tired but are still absolutely fine. Apart from that, well nothing really... Am looking forward to more stays at this hotel as it is brilliantly located for the North East Coast.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

It is great to receive such positive comments on the services and facilities we provide at the Sunderland Marriott Hotel and thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your two-night break in the North East and I am very pleased to read that you are looking forward to more stays with us. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for 1 night 31.1.14 as a birthday treat. You might think I'm prejudice as I am a member of the leisure club at this hotel and only live a few miles away, BUT, even before joining the club I always wanted to stay over as it's ideally placed right opposite the beach and is quite lovely inside. I agree the outside doesn't do it justice but the facilities more than make up.
I searched the usual hotel comparison sites and got a really good deal on a side sea facing room, which was really large and had the biggest bed my husband and I have seen! Everywhere was spotless and of good quality. There was an ice machine on each floor, with ice bucket provided in room, which was a great "extra" and we made use of! Obviously, I already know how pleasant the pool, Jacuzzi, steam and sauna rooms are, and I would urge anyone staying to get themselves in there for an hour or two.
We didn't eat in the hotel-the food is very good [we've eaten there several times before], but this time we wanted to do the short walk to the restaurants on the promenade, settling for the Indian Restaurant "Shagorika" [yes, that really is it's name!]. Drinks in the bar afterwards were generous and reasonably priced. After a great nights sleep, we had a brisk walk along the seafront, which is beautifully kept, even in the chilly wind and had a fab breakfast at a little café right at the top end of the coast, before the marina [nothing to look at from outside but fab views right on the piers once inside].
With a later check out, we had the chance for another swim etc before having to packup and move on, as they say. The staff are all exceptionally helpful and friendly and it was a real joy to stay here..I will be doing it again...

Room Tip: Ask for sea view-even if it's side sea, or you might get view of rear of hotel/carpark, which ma...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

I am delighted you chose the Sunderland Marriott for your birthday treat and I am also very pleased that it was a real joy to stay with us. The staff work extremely hard and are committed to giving our customers the best experience possible so it is pleasing to receive your feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the leisure club very soon and also look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel as an overnight guest.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

The outside of this hotel had me worried...needs a good upgrade...But inside was lovely. Very clean in reception and surrounding area.
Reception staff were lovely and dealt with kur check in with smiles. Nothing was to much trouble.
Our room was lovely big and bright superior, sea view room, bathroom was huge with seperate bath and shower. Very very clean!
We had a snack in the bar, pleasant bar staff and welcoming
Although a bit expensive...Blt 8.50!
Down side was the heat in the hotel not just our room..... hardly slept no air conditioning. I opened our window but then the noise outside picked up early morning so closed it again.
This hotel needs air conditioning in the rooms I could not imagine what it is like in the summer.
Breakfast was buffett style plenty of choice.
Overall nice stay...and staff were all pleasant and helpful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I do appreciate you taking the time to write your review and thank you for sharing your experience in a forum such as this one. I am glad that once inside the hotel, it did live up to your expectation and thank you for your positive comments about the staff and services we provide. For 2014, we have already planned for the front of the hotel to be rendered and the back of the hotel to be re-painted.
I am sorry to read that your sleep was disturbed by the heat in the room. Some of our bedrooms do not have air-conditioning but we do have fans available upon request at reception.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel 14th Feb, as we were going to the Empire Theatre to see Blood Brothers.
Excellent location on the sea front, just a Taxi ride into town.
The room we booked was a Premier which had a sea view, and was quite spacious nice large comfortable bed. wardrobe, easy chair, desk and chair, trouser press only thing missing was a mini bar fridge, tea and coffee facilities though there was only 2 coffee sachets that were not de- caff, obviously cater for tea drinkers as there were plenty of tea bags.
The bathroom was a good size with a bath and over bath shower.
We had a snack in the bar roast beef chiobata which came with horse radish coleslaw and was very nice indeed, the bar staff were very professional and friendly.
Breakfast was buffet help yourself, the best of its kind that I have eaten in hotels.
unfortunately we did not have time to use the Spa facilities, though we did have a look around.

Room Tip: Premier room with A Sea view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience. It is always encouraging to receive such positive feedback and I have passed on your kind words to my team. We look forward to welcoming back to the hotel and I hope you will then have the opportunity to use our leisure facilities.
Raoul Lemmerling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!