“Superb Everytime”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have been staying at this particular hotel every time I visit sunderland, for the past 6 years. It is a lovely hotel but more importantly it is the QUALITY of the staff which make it in my opinion outstanding.
Anna on the front desk has such a warm and welcoming smile that you feel instantly at home here. She is outstanding in her professional but very approachable and friendly manner and there is a "no problem" attitude which is helpful to those who are visiting and unsure of the hotel or the area. She deserves a medal for her patience and skill.
Lynne in the dining room must be the person in the UK with the friendliest and most beautiful smile. Not only does she remember people (after what must be thousands of visitors), but she is a person who can make the sun come out on the gloomiest of days.
Gosha who is a member of the Housekeeping team is just lovely, there is never anything that is too much trouble and she too is so warm and friendly, that you might feel you have know her for years.
There are many other members of staff whom I cannot name here, as I have only said good morning or thankyou to, but my point is this. I am a world traveller and always stay at Marriott. It is not the place (although Seaburn's beach and ocean is wonderful) that matters so much as the Quality of the People in that place. With the odd exception of one or two of the leisure club staff (If I cant say anything good, then I shall say nothing at all) the staff at Sunderland Marriott are among the nicest people I have ever met and it is with my utmost gratitude to them that I write this and would recommend Sunderland Marriott Always.

Room Tip: second or third floor with an ocean view is just worth it
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you so much for writing your review and I am delighted to read your kind comments. It is always encouraging to receive such positive feedback in a forum such as this one and I will ensure your kind words are passed on to the team at the Sunderland Marriott, particularly Anna, Lynn and Gosha who will be rewarded for their excellent customer service. Once again, my sincere thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to attend an event nearby. We didn't have high hopes as it looks quite tired from the outside. However we were totally wrong! The room was lovely, spacious, luxurious and spotlessly clean. The staff were so helpful and friendly - in particular the girl working in the bar on Saturday night. Breakfast was a real treat with beautiful views of the sea. It was really good quality and the staff very helpful. The only small issue we had was that the pool area and changing rooms were in need a of a good clean.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your excellent feedback on the services we provide. We have planned for the re-rendering of the front of the hotel and re-painting of the rear during 2014 so the outside of the building will appear much improved. I am sorry that the cleanliness in the leisure club was not to its usual standard and please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for one night bed and breakfast. Had high expectations as i have stayed at several other Marriott hotels but i was very disappointed. On Arriving in the room there was a loud humming noise (room 107) we rang reception and asked if it would be possible to be moved. But there no other rooms available she said they would turn of at 11pm as it was the fan in the kitchens !! After struggling to get to sleep we were woken at 3am by the humming noise again. The view was terrible all we could see was big fans and wall, not something you would expect front hotel on the sea front. Breakfast was okay until my partner found a black hair in his sausage !! We told the waiter about it she said she would show the chef. When she came back out she tried to say the hair was blonde ( me and my partner are blonde) obviously trying to say it was one of ours. Rooms where clean and tidy probley the only good point i could say about this hotel. When we checked out we told the man on reception that we had a awful nights sleep because of the humming and all he said "was it " then they tried to bill us double for the room. Would defently not return or recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the Sunderland Marriott. May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for our shortcomings and we will be contacting you direct from the hotel, to discuss the matter further.
Once again my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I returned to Sunderland after just over 20 years for an old friend’s wedding night and stayed at the Marriott Sunderland. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of service and how welcoming and friendly the staff were, I was greeted at reception by a very nice polite young receptionist called Amy. I believe that first impressions count and in this case they certainly did. All I can say is that the room was top quality and cleanliness was exceptional. There was a large selection of restaurants in the area and would definitely recommend Little Italy for price quality and service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

It is great to read your comments and I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay at the Sunderland Marriott Hotel. Your kind comments have been passed to the team, particularly Amy who will be rewarded for her excellent customer service. I am sorry that you did not dine in the hotel as we do offer a good selection of dishes and prices are competitive with similar establishments in the area. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

A short break from Saturday to Wednesday. Arrived early but room was ready. We upgraded to a sea view which was superb with wonderful views across the sea front.
All staff were welcoming and very friendly. Breakfasts were superb and hosted by superb staff.
My only criticism is paying £9:50 for an average glass of Rjioca. ( large).
We would certainly visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: 208 was our room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eunos
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

So pleased that you enjoyed your short break at the Sunderland Marriott. We are in a beautiful location, overlooking the sandy beaches at Seaburn and I am glad that you upgraded to one of the sea-view rooms to take advantage of the wonderful views. I am also pleased that the staff were welcoming and very friendly and you enjoyed your breakfast experience. The price of a large glass of Rioja is £9.95 and I am sorry that you felt this was over-priced. Thank you once again for your review and I am glad that you plan to visit us again.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

had a lovely stay on sat 8 march with my daughter. staff friendly and helpful. comfortable bed. buffet breakfast with everything you could wish for. We enjoyed the swimming pool, hot tub and sauna. Particularly liked that each bedroom corridor had an ice machine so you could just go fill your ice bucket for your room. peaceful, could not hear any noise from other rooms or guests. room had hairdryer, coffee tea facilities, toiletries, flat screen tv , ironing board and iron. location, opposite the beach. If you want a bit of luxury, this is the place to stay in sunderland.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan E

Thank you so much for your comments and I have passed on your kind words to the team. it is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback in a forum such as this one. Once again, my sincere thanks and we look forward to seeing you and your daughter back at the Sunderland Marriott in November.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed for two nights, requested Room 320 based on a previous Reviewer's comments, we weren't disappointed.
Double aspect room could be classed as a mini-suite, living area, bedroom, bathroom with a sea view. The room was very clean with a large very comfortable bed. Facilities provided included, hair dryer, security safe, ventilation fan, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee making facilities, a nice touch were the paper cups and lids to allow you to have a 'coffee to go', this facility is also available in the Restaurant at breakfast.
The staff were superb, Chelsea, Trainee Receptionist, Adnan, Bar Staff and Dilini at breakfast were particularly helpful.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return in May.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Stevros7

I am delighted to read your review and so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Sunderland Marriott. Our associates work extremely hard to ensure our guests’ satisfaction and those associates that you have mentioned in your review will be rewarded for their excellent customer service. I have also made them aware of your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in May.
Raoul Lemmerling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!