“Disappointed !!!”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have never written a review, but the experience of this hotel I feel needs to be shared.
This was my first visit to South Shields. The hotel was booked for me as a birthday present for 2 night stay by my children, they had requested sea view and were told this will be the case! This hotel was selected by them after reading reviews.
I read reviews after I was given the details of the hotel and due to some people were disappointed to turn up and find 2 single beds in a double room so I rang the hotel to make sure this does not happen and was assured it will have a double bed.
On arrival we were given a room (133) which was at the FAR end of the hotel near the delivery bay in the what seemed to be a basement!! NO SEA VIEWS!!!! continues noise from deliveries and staff standing outside smoking.
The beds were 2 single put together and covered by a hard throw over mattress... so hard that we could not sleep at all and come away with extremely bad back!
No WiFi in the rooms...beware extra charges if you need this and expensive!
Both mornings went for breakfast and had to wait ages for things as we were told the same thing on each morning that they have ran out and are waiting! other people were also complaining for the wait... staff seemed to be used to people complaining and were just being ignored by staff.
No fridge facilities in the room as one would expect from such a hotel.
Old central heating radiators continually making extreme noise during the night and when turned up!
I can safely say that I have had a lot better stay and experience from a cheaper, less graded hotels then this!!!
South Shields is a lovely place, but the experience of this hotel totally ruined our break!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors with a sea view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 661jad
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am very disappointed that your recent visit to the hotel did not meet your expectations.
I would be most grateful if you could contact me direct at the hotel to discuss your feedback further.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We had the pleasure of celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary on the 18.04.2014, at the marriott seaburn my husband had booked the corner suite for a surprise including breakfast.
From check in everyone we spoke to at the hotel was very helpful and friendly could not do enough for us. When we reached our room we were overwhelmed at how lovely the room was beautiful views from the large corner window. The room was very warm on arrival. Had a lot of extras we didn't expect, trouser press, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, tea making facility's with the coffee even biscuits.
In the bathroom you have a jacuzzi bath with seperate shower with shampoo conditioner cotton buds. We had a great nights sleep bed very comfortable.
We opted to have our breakfast delivered this came at a £3 cost all we had to do was select what we wanted and hang this on the outside door by 3am with the time we wished to have it, we chose 8.30 and it arrived dead on time, now this is where I get disappointed everything was just Luke warm my husband opted for soft boiled eggs these were hard, bacon very hard and dry,sausage not the best I've had didn't look like it had been cooked for very long. However can not wait to return. See you all soon

• Stayed: April 2014
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and I am delighted that your husband chose to surprise you with a stay at the Sunderland Marriott for your 7th wedding anniversary celebration. Our associates do work very hard to deliver a great customer service and I have passed on your kind words to the team.
I am sorry that you had issues with your breakfast but thank you for your valuable feedback and for bringing this to our attention.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We often come to this hotel on a weekly basis for a chat and a coffee. The reason we keep coming back is because of the staff members. In particular a man named Adnan I believe. He is the most friendly and pleasant man you could meet and always makes us feel so very welcome. Thank you very much. So you don't need to stay, just call in for a drink...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

I do appreciate you taking the time to write your review and as a regular customer of the hotel, thank you for sharing your experience in a forum such as this one. I have passed on your kind words to Adan who will be rewarded for his excellent customer service.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We went in for drinks. .and have been here before. Lovely cocktails were served. They were brought over which was a lovely touch. .we were not eating, so they didn't have to do that..and everything was just done with lots of care..a little humour and attention to detail.

The cocktails were margarita and daiquiri. .both lovely and made with care.

The service is excellent in the bar area where we were. The two ladies who served make you feel at ease and are very welcoming. The place has a relaxed and calm ambience. .we did arrive with children..so even then we were still welcomed exactly the same as hotel guests.

Customer service is number one and the Marriott staff we encountered were first class.

We will certainly be back for drinks in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014

I am delighted you chose the Sunderland Marriott for drinks and I am also very pleased that you enjoyed the experience. The staff work extremely hard and are committed to giving our customers the best service possible so it is pleasing to receive your feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed three nights in March to watch a Sunderland home game. Comfortable room, with an upgrade to a suite, friendly and helpful staff. Only niggles - charges for add-ons (e.g. WiFi in room) and the bar food was very average. Excellent location - right on Whitburn sea front and a £6 cab ride to the Stadium of Light.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review and I am pleased that you found the room to be comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. The Sunderland Marriott is in a beautiful location, overlooking Seaburn Sands and the North Sea, and is located 2.5 miles from the Stadium of Light football ground. WiFi is free in our Public areas but there is a charge for WiFi in our bedrooms which is through a secure Internet provider. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have been staying at this particular hotel every time I visit sunderland, for the past 6 years. It is a lovely hotel but more importantly it is the QUALITY of the staff which make it in my opinion outstanding.
Anna on the front desk has such a warm and welcoming smile that you feel instantly at home here. She is outstanding in her professional but very approachable and friendly manner and there is a "no problem" attitude which is helpful to those who are visiting and unsure of the hotel or the area. She deserves a medal for her patience and skill.
Lynne in the dining room must be the person in the UK with the friendliest and most beautiful smile. Not only does she remember people (after what must be thousands of visitors), but she is a person who can make the sun come out on the gloomiest of days.
Gosha who is a member of the Housekeeping team is just lovely, there is never anything that is too much trouble and she too is so warm and friendly, that you might feel you have know her for years.
There are many other members of staff whom I cannot name here, as I have only said good morning or thankyou to, but my point is this. I am a world traveller and always stay at Marriott. It is not the place (although Seaburn's beach and ocean is wonderful) that matters so much as the Quality of the People in that place. With the odd exception of one or two of the leisure club staff (If I cant say anything good, then I shall say nothing at all) the staff at Sunderland Marriott are among the nicest people I have ever met and it is with my utmost gratitude to them that I write this and would recommend Sunderland Marriott Always.

Room Tip: second or third floor with an ocean view is just worth it
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for writing your review and I am delighted to read your kind comments. It is always encouraging to receive such positive feedback in a forum such as this one and I will ensure your kind words are passed on to the team at the Sunderland Marriott, particularly Anna, Lynn and Gosha who will be rewarded for their excellent customer service. Once again, my sincere thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to attend an event nearby. We didn't have high hopes as it looks quite tired from the outside. However we were totally wrong! The room was lovely, spacious, luxurious and spotlessly clean. The staff were so helpful and friendly - in particular the girl working in the bar on Saturday night. Breakfast was a real treat with beautiful views of the sea. It was really good quality and the staff very helpful. The only small issue we had was that the pool area and changing rooms were in need a of a good clean.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your excellent feedback on the services we provide. We have planned for the re-rendering of the front of the hotel and re-painting of the rear during 2014 so the outside of the building will appear much improved. I am sorry that the cleanliness in the leisure club was not to its usual standard and please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Raoul Lemmerling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
6 mi away
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!