“Nice Seaside Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sunderland
Western part
“Nice Seaside Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a hotel in a lovely location, right by the sea. Actually across a road that is by a beach that is right by the sea, but the seaside rooms have a lovely view of the ocean.
The staff is all wonderfully nice...including housekeeping, front desk and the breakfast staff in the restaurant.
The breakfast is very good, well prepared and in a nice room.

The rooms are well appointed. This hotel is apparently the smallest full service Marriott Hotel in the world. It is also apparently the first Marriott hotel in the UK to have the "touch" room access keys, which work very well, incidentally.
Unfortunately, this hotel also earned another distinction, which is being the first Marriott Hotel I've ever checked into in 30 plus years that had a hair in the bathroom. Marriott's decades of "hair free" bathrooms record has been broken by this hotel.

The sea air is wonderful and I was enjoying it fully until just before leaving, when tobacco smoke came into our open window. As I went downstairs, I also smelled a lot of tobacco smoke in the hallways. Upon further investigation, I saw two workmen, with Marriott visitors badges on them that were smoking right outside one of the doorways. They had kept the doorway open so that they could get back in. They apparently didn't care about the fact that where they were causing smoke to go into the hotel both through the door they were keeping open and through the windows since they were smoking under them. They continued to leave the door open when it was brought to their attention, obviously not caring if their habit affected guests and hotel workers. Perhaps all people involved in the hotel in any way should observe the designated smoking area. It continues to amaze me that this is not caught on a regular basis. This hotel has wonderful sea air, a wonderful view, nice staff, and two problems which I hope they fix. Marriott has apparently been "smoke free" for over ten years, you'd think they would have it figured out by now. I do recommend the hotel but sincerely hope that these two issues are resolved in an otherwise perfect stay..

Room Tip: The sea side rooms are nice but be wary that it is the side near the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank guy_traveller
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you so much for writing your review and for sharing your experience. I am pleased to read your positive comments although disappointed that you encountered the two issues you have mentioned. Marriott do have strict cleaning procedures which we must adhere to, and I sincerely apologise that we did not meet the criteria on this occasion. It is important that we receive feedback as it helps us to maintain and improve the standards we strive to achieve. Thank you also for bringing to our attention the smoking issue which we will address with our on-site contractors. I would be grateful if you could contact me direct at the hotel to discuss the matter further.
Raoul Lemmerling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed 1 night midweek in a double room bed and breakfast. The standard of the room was fine, superb bathroom good towels and toiletries. Large double wardrobe with free use of a safe, iron plus board, hair dryer. The pool was 15 metres and was fine also spa facilities were good. The breakfast was excellent plenty of choice you really could pig out! Although I personally found the restraunt area too warm, the downsides? 2 really at 5 in the morning they started the kitchen fans and my room 209 was above it, the air con unit was too noisy and needs looking at, had to turn it off. The acid test is this would I stay again if in the area, yes I would but try for a sea view room

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and I am delighted to read your feedback on the Sunderland Marriott and its facilities. However, I am sorry that you found the restaurant too warm and you also encountered a noise issue in the early morning. I fully appreciate that at the very least your expectation is to have a peaceful night’s sleep so please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have passed on your comments to my maintenance supervisor so that an investigation is carried out. On a positive note, I am pleased to read that this would not deter you from staying at the hotel if you are in the area again.
Once again, my sincere thanks for writing your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The hotel is in a great location right on the sea front. There is free car parking, a gym, swimming pool, sauna, etc. The facilities are really good. The room was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was okay maybe needs modernising a bit. The shower was a bit weak. The check in process was excellent with very friendly staff. The bar a staff were a bit stretched with serving customers at the restaurant as well as the bar, but were equally nice people. Overall I would return, great location, nice clean and comfortable with friendly staff and great facilities, a great stay.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are extra but nicer. Avoid rooms next to the lift or dumb waiter lift they are noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I really appreciate that you have taken the time to post your review in a forum such as this one and I am very pleased that you found the Sunderland Marriott to be a great hotel with good facilities and in a good location. Our associates do work hard to deliver the best customer experience and I have passed on your kind words to the team. I am sorry that you found the shower to be weak and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Once again my sincere thanks for your valuable feedback.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have just returned from a lovely Bank Holiday weekend at the Marriott. The staff throughout the hotel are efficient and helpful; we had a lovely room with sea view and as always the super-comfy Marriott bed. The staff throughout the hotel are attentive, friendly and efficient. Good evening meals in Restaurant and Bar with plenty of choice, good sized portions of tasty food. Good choice of hot and cold on buffet breakfast. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and it is great to receive such positive comments on the services and facilities we provide at the Sunderland Marriott Hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your Bank Holiday weekend at the hotel and delighted that you will definitely be back!
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

There were no problems on our two night stay. We were upgraded to a lovely large room with a seaview. Everything was spotlessly clean, the bed was huge and very comfy and the bathroom had lovely toiletries and towels, with both a shower and separate bath. The receptionists and bar staff were very friendly and attentive. The excellent breakfast had a very wide selection to choose from though the eggs (cooked to order) came too early one day and twice as many as ordered by our group the next, but at least they were freshly done and hot so no grumbles!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I am delighted to read your comments and very pleased that your stay at the Sunderland Marriott met your expectations. I do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor and I have passed on your kind comments to the team. My sincere thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a future occasion.
Boston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had booked a two night stay for my Husbands birthday on a bed, breakfast & dinner deal, his birthday being on the first night of our stay the Sunday. We arrived around 3.20 pm (check in is from 3 pm) but were told our room wasn't ready could we come back later. We decided to have a drink in the bar & then went back to reception at 4 pm, room not quite ready but wouldn't be long now. We then saw a sign saying that the swimming pool was closed, we were so disappointed as I had booked this hotel due to leisure facilities, when asked when it would be open they were not sure, apparently there had been an "incident in the pool" & they would let us know when it re-opened, we were informed that the steam room & sauna were open but it was the swimming we wanted. Anyway, we now got our room key & Amy did give us a voucher for a complimentary drink, she was apologetic & very friendly. Have to say that our room was nice, spacious & clean although like a lot of hotels uncomfortably warm. We had told reception that we would like to dine at 7.30 that evg. We had only been in our room a few minutes when we got a call to say that the Restaurant was not open on Sunday evenings but that we could dine in the bar area or they would ring a local restaurant for us!! We decided to eat in the hotel as we had paid for this, the table turned out to be close to the bar and I was sat facing the large television screen showing football, not the ambience I had expected for my husbands birthday. On the following evg we ate in the restaurant (& given a complimentary bottle of house wine) however there were only ourselves and another party in there, so why couldn't they have opened up the restaurant on Sunday evg when there were lots more people eating? What annoyed us was the fact that there is no mention that the restaurant is closed on a Sunday either on their own website or via Superbreak whom we had booked the break with.
The pool did re-open on the Monday but we decided to give it a miss as we were not happy with "the incident" and did not want to end up getting any infections of any sort.
So to sum it all up would we stay again, NO, although having said that we did ask if we could have our room for a third night either in the same hotel or one of their other hotels in Newcastle as we were going to do a bit more sightseeing, but we were informed that they were all fully booked!!
In my opinion the hotel is in need of a refurbishment but the staff are friendly & seem to be overworked, one young girl was always there but still friendly. Please get someone to clean the wooden floor in the breakfast area, it was so sticky that the soles of my shoes were sticking to it. Breakfast was good and staff working very hard. We have had lots of holidays and mini breaks throughout our married life, but never have I known a big chain hotel have the restaurant closed on a Sunday evening, tell your customers about this, if I had known previously of course I would not have booked here due to the fact that my husbands birthday was on the Sunday. Location of hotel is brilliant though, right on the seafront, great for walks.

Room Tip: I would think the higher floor rooms get the best views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback, although I am sorry to read that you encountered some issues during your stay at the Sunderland Marriott. Please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused, particularly as you were celebrating your husband’s birthday.
The pool closure was unexpected, excrement had been found in the water. Under such circumstances which were outside of our control, it is essential that the pool is put out of use so that the required cleaning process is carried out to ensure the health and safety of all users. We can never guarantee the pool is open as accidents do happen.
On a positive note, I am pleased that Amy was apologetic and very friendly and breakfast was good and staff were working very hard. I am also pleased that you found the room you were allocated to be nice, spacious and clean.
The Promenade Restaurant is closed on a Sunday evening and this is communicated when making a booking via our website and various partner websites and through Central Reservations.
My sincere apologies once again and I would be grateful if you could contact me direct at the hotel to discuss your comments further.
Peterlee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

enjoyed our stay, Amy on reception was very friendly and helpful. would stay again next time in Sunderland. Superior room was clean and very nice. Didn't use the spa or breakfast . great place for a nice jog along north sea or brisk walk.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room, lovely views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for posting your review and I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Sunderland Marriott. I have passed on your kind words to Amy, who will be rewarded for her excellent customer service. It is always encouraging to receive such positive feedback in a forum such as this one. We hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.
Raoul Lemmerling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
#7 of 11 in Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#29 of 84 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Quality Hotel Boldon
Quality Hotel Boldon
#1 of 1 in West Boldon

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!