“The Marriott Saved the Day!”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“The Marriott Saved the Day!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had planned our son’s Christening party to take place at another hotel nearby. However six day beforehand they cancelled the booking in order to take more father’s day lunch bookings. We were a bit distraught what to do as we had such little time and knowing that the Sunday would be busy due to it being father’s day. We asked at the Marriott and they couldn’t have done more to help us out. Special credit should go to Stacey who helped us to organise everything (even waiving some of the costs) and make us feel very welcome.

On the day itself things could not have gone better, there was plenty of space for our guests to park, a welcome notice to our party at the front entrance and the room itself was great, very light and spacious with a view over the beach and the sea. We were also given a cake stand and knife for our christening cake which again looked great. The food was delicious, we felt we had compromised ourselves a bit with our choices at the other hotel but there were no worries here as it was all delicious and very well presented when it came out. Even though there was plenty most of it was gone by the end which is always a good sign. There was no bar in the room but there were staff on hand to get drinks for us if we wanted, or we could go to the bar downstairs which was easy enough. The staff always seemed to be available but were never in the way and so friendly to all of us even when we were leaving. Once again I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at this hotel, a hearty thanks from all of us!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. The Sunderland Marriott is able to cater for all occasions as we have flexible facilities to suit all events so I am really pleased we were able to ‘Save the Day’ for you and your family to celebrate your son’s christening. Thank you also for your kind words which have been conveyed to the team, particularly Stacey who will be rewarded for her excellent customer service. My sincere thanks once again.
Raoul Lemmerling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Booked this as a last minute break. Used the mobile check in, this also allowed me to change my arrival time. Arrived at reception and was greeted by a member of staff in training, even though youd think she's been working for the company for many years.

Used the pool and spa both in great condition and great staff.

Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Room 156 great room, excellent view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you so much for posting your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your last minute break at the Sunderland Marriott. I am also pleased you have downloaded the Marriott mobile app which made your check-in process a much easier experience. Thank you also for your kind words regarding our associates and Charlotte, the member of staff in training, will be rewarded for her excellent customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My first time visiting Sunderland, and I was rather wary.
Approaching the hotel, I thought negatively, however it was all washed away the moment I stepped inside.
The staff were warm and welcoming. Not a hitch and everything was smoothly done.
They gladly gave directions and even the cleaners were bubbly and friendly!
My friend and I stayed for 3 nights, and had dinner on the second. It was delicious! I recommend the fish and chips, and the Marriott burger!
The room was large, comfortable and impeccably clean.
I would recommend this hotel, and I will certainly be staying again next year when I visit.
We didn't get a chance to grab breakfast, nor use the spa/pool facilities, but from what I saw, I would not have been displeased.
Thank you so much to the staff who made my weekend even better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SamieeM
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
It is a delight to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Our associates work very hard to deliver a great customer experience and to meet the expectations of our guests so it is always reassuring to receive such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next year when I hope you will have the opportunity to sample our buffet breakfast and make use of our leisure facilities, which are complimentary to guests.
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our company put us up here for a sales meeting and it was a very nice hotel indeed. Rooms were very nice and spacious and the food was good as well.

Enjoyed the use of the leisure facilities, which were a little old but served my purpose and I went for a run up the coastal cliff tracks as the hotel in right on the seafront.

Very nice indeed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a seaview
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that our facilities met your expectations. The hotel’s location is exceptional with beautiful views over the North Sea and Seaburn Sands. We also have the benefit of a lovely traffic-free promenade, in addition to the coastal cliff tracks you have mentioned. I really appreciate your time in sharing with us your experience.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked the Marriott for 2 nights whilst visiting family in the Northeast. Usually stay in Newcastle but thought a couple of nights overlooking the North Sea could be a refreshing change.

As we drove past the hotel my heart sank as it is slightly bleak from the outside but once inside I was pleasantly surprised. The welcome at the front desk was warm and professional and our room on the second floor was larger than I expected with two doubles and a small seating area comprising a sofa and armchair. Whilst the interior is recognisably the international Marriott brand, as a small hotel it does have a certain seaside charm and we were able to sleep with our windows open listening to the waves breaking on the beach.

Breakfast served in the restaurant is again typically Marriott. It lacks a certain finesse but is tasty and filling particularly after a seafront stroll. The small leisure centre is adequate too and I was particularly impressed that both gym and pool were open from 6am until 11pm.

The hotel offers good value, friendly service and great views, supplemented by the benefit of the pool and gym and I would more than likely stay again.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
I am delighted to read you were pleasantly surprised with the hotel’s facilities and thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry you thought the hotel to be slightly bleak from the outside, however, we are currently carrying out some rendering and painting of the building so this will greatly improve the outside appearance of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunderland Marriott on your next visit to the North East.
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed one night whilst on business in the North East. I was really pleased I booked a suite as it had fantastic views out to sea! The suite was airy, light and spacious! I am gluten free and the hotel made me a most delicious omelette and dressed salad. When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed with a free glass of wine. A very nice touch.

I would highly recommend this hotel and I will return!

Room Tip: Book a suite its well worth it
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
It is great to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience in a forum such as this one. It is always encouraging to receive such feedback and your kind words have been conveyed to the team. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I really do love the charm of the location and service that this hotel offers. The rooms are spacious and the staff vey helpful. There is a pool for family r and r which is delightful. And then there is the beach across the road. The food is good and the breakfast ample. Parking can be a bit tight and bar service a little hit and miss but I still think it is worth five stars. Make sure you get a sea view as it is gorgeous.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PercivalSpratt
Thank you so much for posting your review on Tripadvisor. The hotel is in a wonderful location and I am pleased you love the charm of the location and the service the hotel offers. The team work hard to deliver a great customer service so I am pleased that it was a pleasure for you to stay with us. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Raoul Lemmerling
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosfort...
#32 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!