“Nice hotel on the beach.”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely staff and fabulous room overlooking the sea. Sofa already converted for our son on arrival. Breakfast average to good the following morning.
Lovely location on the beach where we walked on our arrival.
Fab Italian restaurant nearby called Santinis which was really good value.

• Stayed: July 2014
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I really appreciate you taking the time to write your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to take advantage of the beautiful beach location. I am sorry you did not choose to eat in the hotel. We do offer some distinct cuisine from the North East, using quality sourced ingredients - perhaps on your next visit. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I would recommend anyone in the area to stay in this hotel. The staff went completely above and beyond the expectations of a hotel to help me resolve an issue I was having with Expedia/Hotels.com.

I have never felt so valued as a customer and truly cared about as I did here. David Bradshaw, his colleague and a member of staff in training were all equally fantastic and a credit to the Marriott brand. Even the girl who delivered room service (after hours) was polite and courteous and a professional.

I will always consider Marriott for corporate and personal trips and events in future, and I will not hesitate to recommend the brand and the Sunderland Marriott to friends, family and colleagues.

Thank you very much to all staff at the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 206 had a nice view and was a beautiful, sizeable room. However, this would be considered an up...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

It is so pleasing to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Our associates are committed to making our customers feel valued and to delivering great customer service I have passed on your kind words to the team, particularly David who will be rewarded for the fanastic service he provided. Once again, my sincere thanks and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Externally this hotel looks dated but the decoration of the rooms we have stayed in and the public areas are much better. We have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have always found the staff to be excellent very attentive and helpful. breakfast is great but meals in the evening have been pretty average and quite expensive. I woudl certainly stay here again if I had to visit this area again

Room Tip: great sea views from many rooms, views over the car park are not so good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am so pleased that you have used the hotel a number of times and always found the staff to be excellent, very attentive and helpful. It is rewarding to read your comments, although I am sorry that your evening meal experience did not meet your expectation. Your feedback has been discussed with our executive chef to ensure standards are maintained. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Sunderland.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week whilst attending an event and had no problems. Staff were friendly and helpful. I had a suite which was absolutely huge and a full bathroom with shower and bath. Enormous bed and lots of facilities. A health club is on site which has a Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and an adequate swimming pool. Parking is available on site and the hotel has a pretty scenic view across Seaburn beach and across to Sunderland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

It is great to read your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your short stay at the hotel and appreciated the facilities and sea-front location. I have passed on your kind words to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and have always been very pleased with the quality of service received. Unfortunately on our recent two night stay things were somewhat different. On arrival, the receptionist appeared more interested in talking to colleagues behind the desk than dealing with our check-in. We were offered no information whatsoever about the hotel (admittedly we have stayed there before) and on reaching our room found it still being cleaned. On our second day housekeeping did not arrive to clean our room until 4.20pm. On checkout there were incorrectly charged items on the account and although these were removed there was no apology or satisfactory explanation offered. On the positive side, the restaurant and bar were good – both in terms of food offered and staff - and our room was of a high standard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Many thanks for sharing your experience and I sincerely apologise that you found your visit, on this occasion, was not up to the usual standard. Your comments have been addressed with the team, to ensure improvements are made and standards are maintained. I am pleased the service and food you received in the restaurant and bar was good and the room was of a high standard. I do appreciate your feedback and thank you again for sharing it with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice hotel, the inside is a lot nicer than the outside which needs some paint! However the room was clean. Hotel has great facilities with friendly staff. This would be a great hotel for business for sit seeing. It is very busy for weddings and seems to have an even on each weekend. Food was good in the bar and they have a good selection of drinks. You can see the sea from the front door! Lovely place to walk on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SunderlandMarriott, General Manager at Sunderland Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Many thanks for posting your review and I really appreciate your comments. I am so pleased the hotel’s facilities met your expectations and you enjoyed the location. The outside of the building is currently undergoing a re-rendering and re-painting programme which will greatly improve the external appearance. My sincere thanks once again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My friends and I went on a 4 night holiday with Edwards Coaches staying in Sunderland Marriott Hotel. It is lovely right on the seafront at Seaborne nr Sunderland. we had a lovely twin room sea facing and everything looked brand new bathroom was large with separate bath and shower. spotless and towels changed every day The food is excellent and a great variety at breakfast as much as you can eat. evening meal was 3 course service also was excellent we were very impressed

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

I am delighted you enjoyed your four-night break at the Sunderland Marriott. Our associates work extremely hard to ensure a fantastic customer experience and it is always encouraging to receive great feedback such as yours. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel in the future.
Raoul Lemmerling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland A19/A1231 Hotel
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!