“Overnight stay in sunderland”

Mowbray Guest House
Ranked #3 of 16 Sunderland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Beautifully furnished / clean and homely
one of the best B & B's Ive ever stayed in - Family room used for 3 adults but so spacious and perfect for a weekend away with friends
Very friendly service.
Parking facility.

Room Tip: Space in the family room is perfect for a family of 4 or 3 friends sharing
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Suz622
Mowbray G, Manager at Mowbray Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for your lovely review, we hope to see you again x

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We were due to stay here for 4 days with 2 rooms , but unfortunately my father got taken into hospital so we could only stay one night. This hotel were very understanding and didn't charge me for 4 nights like they could have.

This is the best hotel/b&b I have ever stayed in, ever! That includes a 5 star hotel in Turkey.

So welcoming, friendly and helpful. My son loved the smell as he walked in, he is still telling everyone now 'we stayed in Sunderland and the hotel smelt amazing'. Spotlessly clean family room, amazingly comfy beds, fresh SOFT towels (most hotel towels feel over washed, these were amazing). Shower with lots of toiletries available which I loved because we'd forgotten our shampoo!

Decent TV in family room and the decor is beautiful all round.

I wish we could have stayed our 4 nights, but we will sure be back here.

Oh and breakfast? WOW!

Thank you Mowbray for making the north east derby weekend a great one!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Charlotte N
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here for one night as we were going to a funeral in Seaham and Durham the next day but the owners accommodated us so well that I cannot fault them. After checking in at 9 they were totally understanding of our need to go and visit the bereaved family that night. The place itself was much better than I expected with fantastic rooms, nice big pictures of New York and Amsterdam on the walls adding an extra touch. A full English breakfast was included for what was a very reasonable price too. The only fault was that arriving here at night it was difficult to locate in the dark - it really does look like just an ordinary Victorian house from the outside! But they have their own parking at the side. Overall it was a fantastic place to stay, and once again I thank them very much for their service at a time which was very difficult for us.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pbs1986
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We enjoyed our 2-nights stay here for a very reasonable price.
Plus Points were:
Extremely welcoming and friendly hosts. (offered to run us up to our chosen restaurant when it was pouring with rain, so we didn't have to walk out in it - not many people would do that!)
Lovely, tasty breakfast with perfectly poached eggs for me, and boiled eggs for my husband.
Quiet location but only a short walk from the city centre.
Comfortable bed, free Wi-fi, good tv, and plenty of tea/coffee/biscuits in room.
Lovely dining room combined with area for guests to sit and watch TV or listen to music.
Evidence of alterations being made in the property, eg. rooms had new doors fitted.

Minus Points:
The tiniest shower room - don't think we have ever had one so small in any other guest house.
No towel rail in the shower room - had to hang towels over the top of the shower or fold and place on top of the toilet cistern! No shelf on which to put our own toiletries, e.g. toothpaste, hairspray, make-up etc. (other toiletries provided by Mowbray were placed at the back of the toilet cistern).
Shower room in general was in need of refurbishment. Disappointing.
Our bed wasn't made up while we were out (never had that before in a b and b)

Despite the minus points I have rated them "Very Good" in view of their hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bigger bathroom/shower room if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaybil
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here in 2012 and I have to say that it's a beautifully presented building, my room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was top notch. Only slight issue is that you have to park "on street".

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Mowbray G, Owner at Mowbray Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for your lovely review, we are very grateful and would love to see you again. Your review states that their is no parking, however we do have our own car park at the side of the house, my apologies if this wasn't explained to you on arrival.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

When I'm travelling, or on holiday, I like to be out and about during the day, exploring and enjoying what the locale has to offer. At the end of the day, I want a clean fresh room, with sparkling white cotton sheets on a comfy bed. I want a shower that really works, and big fluffy towels. I want a telly, and a cuppa. I want friendly hosts, with local knowledge. And after a good nights sleep, I want a quality breakfast, well prepared and nicely presented.
I want all this at a good price.
Take a bow Mowbray Guest House...... you deliver!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Friendly and welcoming - a home from home feeling. Breakfast excellent and hosts cannot do enough. Would reccomend to all my friends if coming to stay either for a single night or more. First class. Kev n Joules

• Stayed: July 2013