“Stay away”
Review of Liberty Brown

Liberty Brown
Reserve with OpenTable
Liberty Brown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 464 Restaurants in Sunderland
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The award winning As You Like It team present, Liberty Brown, Pizza House, Bar & Grill.At Liberty Brown we're famous for...Award winning, healthy homemade food with no nasty bitsComfy chairs that look a bit lived inSunday dinners with extra Yorkshire puddings lovin' kids, cos they're just like adults only a bit smaller.Proper organic beer, it's cloudy and brewed by monksHomemade bread, just because of the smellProper chips, minus the newspaper100% organic kids menu, definitely no turkey twizzlers.Kids having a full 30 mins with Santa Friendly staff because a smile costs nothingTasty local produce, cos that's how it should beSo that's why we're bringing Liberty Brown to Sunderland.We hope you like it.
Reviewed 12 January 2012

After a pleasant first visit with friends I decided to return with my family. I was quite excited about this place as it seemed like the perfect place for evenings out with friends and daytime lunches with the kids. My family eat out a lot at the weekend and struggle to find anywhere decent which is local to us. We normally trail through to Newcastle. Anyway we arrived here with such high hopes only to be ignored for twenty minutes while we stood at the door to be seated. The place was busy and we were seated in the bar area to eat. This wasn't so bad as we were able to order our own drinks at the bar after they were forgotten about. The staff serving us were unbelievably miserable and unattentive. The starter was lovely, the flatbread and dips however the mains were appalling, I sent mine back as the chicken had a very dubious looking colour about it and tasted off. The waiter took this off the bill. If my experience on the Friday night with friends was the only experience I had had I would say visit on an evening as the entertainment wasn't bad and staff were much happier.

1  Thank Christie H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We vistited Liberty Brown with a group of friends, for my best friends leaving get together. It was a Saturday evening the bar was busy and had a great atmosphere. The cocktails on the menu are amazing i would recomend the cherry drop, the food was delicious the goats cheese salad was to die for the only complaint was our nachos were slightly burnt.
The service was excellent all the staff were very friendly, there was live music on at 10pm which was a great suprise we ended up staying til 1am and made our way through the full cocktail menu. We can't wait to go back

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Liberty Browns opened in December 2011 - it was formerly the Old Orleans. It is spacious and quite quiet. There is plenty of room at the tables and even when busy does not feel crowded.
The main menu is varied and has some unusual dishes. However, we went on a Sunday evening. the Sunday evening menu s much more limited and the dishes we really wanted to try were not available. There is nothing on the main menu that indicated that Sunday is different.
There were 7 in our party and we shared just two starters: Cheesy Nachos - average pub fare; and Marinated Olives - they were OK.
Mains: Fish and Chips - very poor quality fish - we complained and it was deleted from the bill; 3 meat Sunday Lunch - actually pretty good with nice crisp vegetables; Roast Chicken dinner - this diner was ill the next day; Burger times 2 - both of us enjoyed these handmade, meaty burgers; 70's Pizza - just a pizza; Mushroom pasta - average.
Service was fairly lax and quite slow.

That turned in at £65 for food (more if we'd paid for the fish), so not so dear, but really not worth it

2  Thank rexbarker
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I, plus two other couples opted to dine at Liberty brown in Sunderland after hearing good things from mutual friends.

The restaurant is oddly situated on a sort of trading estate, it’s nestled by giant shops such as staples and pets at home. The restaurant is under the same umbrella of management as ‘as you like it’ and ‘floritas’. Liberty brown isn’t quite as eclectic as ‘as you like it’ yet you can get a flavour of the designer. Its kitsch English home meets modern American bar.
The staff were pleasant, my only criticism was that we were offered a jug of water for the table and we accepted only the water did not arrive. This is just a small gripe though and we didn’t mention it to the waitress as it wasn’t a big deal.

The menu was varied, the main dishes are pizza, pasta and items from the grill, but there are a number of other mains to choose from. I opted for the Japanese 7 spice salmon with king prawns and noodles. The fish was scrumptious if not slightly on the salty side, something to be expected by a soya sauce doused meal. My husband and I shared pita bread, dips and olives as a starter, this was relatively satisfying; it was what it was but not in any way impressive.

My friend and I had fun choosing from the cocktail menu, everything looked delightful including some novel options which were said to be served in a coconut shell or carved out pineapple.

We stayed from 7pm until just after 10pm as we felt comfortable, satisfied and were enjoying the cocktails. To top it all off live music started at 10pm. So although the restaurant seemed in the middle of nowhere for a night out, in essence it was a self contained night out filled with good food, delicious cocktails in an intimate setting.

2  Thank captainsadventure