“worth the trip”
Review of Spice Empire

Spice Empire
Ranked #48 of 422 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: used to be the old Amalfi
Washington, United Kingdom
“worth the trip”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Yet another type of eating out , this time using a Living Social deal. It was a cold night in Sunderland but the restaurant was lovely and warm. There was a certain lack of atmosphere as there weren't many diners but I guess 6.30pm is quite early for some people. The deal offered a starter , a main course and a glass of wine. My husband and I were very happy to let my sister and son( both Indian food fans ) choose 4 starters and 4 main courses to share all round.The starters were very generous and I thought I wasn't going to manage the main course but I did and had a good taste of 4 different Indian meals. We all thought we had eaten very well for a very good price and had experienced delicious Indian food which was not too extreme for our delicate stomachs.We had added a few extras so there was money to pay but still a very inexpensive night out thanks to Living social. One small-very small gripe I asked for a diet coke without ice and it was served-yes with those little cubes bobbing around quite happily at the top of the glass but who cares I drank it anyway!!!

• Visited April 2014

Gateshead
“Absolute Gem”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We ate here before a show at the Empire. We hadn't booked but were quickly given a table. The menu choice is excellent & I originally chose the tandoori baked trout. However the manager asked if we were going to the theatre, and advised against the trout as it took a little longer to prepare & he didn't think I would have time to enjoy it properly. I was grateful for the advice and chose the king prawns instead. They were delicious as was my husbands rogan Josh. Both starters, crab and chicken tikka were equally delicious. We came across this restaurant by accident but will certainly return. The staff were attentive and the manager took time on a busy night to chat with us which was appreciated.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Alternative Spice”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Excellent food, very well presented in pleasant surroundings and good atmosphere.
Good competition for others and well worth a visit.

Sunderland
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Visited here for the first time one friday night as had the Living Social Deal. Well worth the money (2 courses and a glass of wine each for 4 people £19). The starters our party had were onion bhaji,samosa selection,sheek kebab and mussels(at a small extra cost) all were delicious. Main courses were Garlic chicken curry,Chicken Korma,Chicken Balti & Chicken Palak. Had to pay extra for rice chips and naan breads. All 4 of us had empty plates and wouldnt hesitate returning with or without the Living Social voucher. Price including 6pints of lager and a large soft drink £35 total including voucher £54 which for 4 people you can not go wrong.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Nice food-Living Social voucher not so good”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Food was very tasty, portions average sized. Tables are very close together, felt like I was sitting with the group of people on the next table. Did not think the Living Social voucher was very good value. They do specials on Thursday and Sunday nights which at £8.95 (I think that is correct) is good value.