“The best Italian food in the North East”

Angelo's Ristorante
Ranked #41 of 420 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$13 - US$51
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The best Italian food in the North East”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is by far and away the best Italian food that I have eaten in the North East (I lived in Italy for a year and I know what good food should taste like).
Menu has a good mix of meat, fish and home-made pasta. Pumpkin ravioli is particularly good. There are specials which last time we visited included parmesan tart and asparagus rissotto and the wine menu offers value for money with many bottles under twenty quid.
I recommend the deconstructed beef wellington; fillet with pate and a mushroom pastry case. The home made chips are too good to share and if you can manage three courses the tiramisu is exceptional.
My one tiny gripe is that the wooden floor reverberates as the staff walk around so if you have a table in the middle you feel the table and chairs creak throughout the meal.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Johnnie_Tee

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“If you want to get away from a run of the mill Italian , I recommend Angelo's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We wanted somewhere a bit different for a birthday ,and after doing a bit of research we chose Angelo's in Sunderland. The restaurant is very attractive and we were given a corner table which was perfect. The food was delicious, tender scallops on a bed of pea puree followed by a beautiful piece of cod wrapped in pancetta for my wife.I chose sauteed mushrooms in puff pastry and deconstructed beef wellington for my main. Everything was delicious and served with not too much waiting time. The only criticism we would have is that we were shown straight to our table, we ordered wine and then no one came to take our order. We were so hungry that we asked for bread ( this is usually put on the table with the wine) There were only two people serving, one at the bar, so maybe short staffed. All in all we will definately go back.

• Visited March 2012
Redcar, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great menu, to satisfy everyone.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have used this restaurant several times and my wife and I are booked again this weekend. We go to Angelo's before going to the "Sunderland Empire" theater. We always go for the "Happy Hour", which is of course good value, but also has a great menu with something to satisfy everyone. Everything from pizza's to steaks and plenty of pasta of course. The surroundings are very traditional and the service is excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody that enjoys good Italian food.

• Visited October 2011