“Perfect Valentines package”

Best Western Roker Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
“Perfect Valentines package”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Room excellent with sea view for small premium, meal in The Tavistock Italian very good with staff brilliant, (special mention for Ashish and Amy). Breakfast in bed presented perfectly. We were so impressed we returned for the Sunday carvery and found the food and service to be first class again.

Room Tip: ask for sea view, well worth the extra.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Reviewed 12 February 2014

For the price, the travelodge and premier inn brands are much more consistent in how you find the hotel quality, cleanliness and features (ie they work!). Last time I stayed in a Best Western was a few years ago and decided I wouldn't stay in one again. However a few years later, I decided I would try again, unfortunately nothing has changed- you simply cannot be sure of the quality of the hotel, unfortunately the Best Western brand in my eyes is indicative of somewhere to avoid. This time the bath and towels were not clean, they had hairs on them. The room was far too hot and I couldn't control the temperature, the TV didn't work (aerial wire was loose and the freeview system didn't boot, the remotes didn't work and were dusty), the lamps didn't work (and because the window was so small) it was difficult to work, the wardrobe door was broken so could not be used, the wardrobe top was thick with dust, had rubbish on top of the wardrobe and seemed to be the holding place for broken TV electrical devices. Would you stay there? I must say the breakfast was OK, and all the staff were friendly and very helpful. I had no time to report these issues as I checked in late and was leaving early.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Hawthorn,Co.Durham
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We have used this hotel before but we have just enjoyed a super deal.....£40pperson for overnight stay,dinner in one of the two restaurants with a bottle of wine,plus 3 drinks at the bar and breakfast. Fabulous.
The hotel is well presented and we were greeted by Lauren who ensured our stay was troublefree.The food in the Italian restaurant was excellent and were all very satisfied with the extensive menu served by Amy.
The hotel is situated overlooking the sea with fabulous views from a high promanade and although it was a cold February night we were toasty warm inside!
This was a great deal but regardless we will all be back again soon.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a little more expensive but we have never bothered with these as the rooms are al...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Sunday Carvery in the former Thai China Restaurant is delicious. There are quite a few Carvery offerings in the area but this is by far the best. We were given a very healthy portion of Beef, Pork or Turkey followed by a good selection of vegetables. The staff were friendly and the food was really nice. We’ve been quite a few times now and it’s always nice. Parking is usually a nightmare at the front of the hotel, but they’ve opened up a car park at the rear of the hotel now. Not the easiest route to work out down the back lane and through the building, but follow your nose and it brings you out at the back of the bar (R Bar). Fantastic Value: 1 course £7.95; 2 courses £9.95; 3 courses £11.95

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The staff were friendly and sadly that is where the good parts of this review end.

Up on arrival, around 8:45 on a Sunday evening there was a really loud disco going on in one of the function room. I assumed this would not be an issue as surely no hotel would have a disco that disturbed the guests.

I was given the key to my ‘Standard Room’ and directed towards the lift. The lift should have given me a clue to what the rest of the hotel is like. It creaks, groans and judders it’s way up through both floors. Walking through the maze of corridors I found my room inserted the card, opened the door and promptly walked in to the door. It only opened 3/4 of the way due to the chair that was behind the door. The was a logical reason for this, the room was so tiny there was no where else for it to go. The room had what looked like a standard double bed a small wardrobe and a tiny desk and these filled the room. As I was here on business and would have some work to do on the evenings, I rang reception to enquire if there were any bigger rooms. I didn’t hold out much hope, as the disco was so loud when I arrived I assumed they had a major function on and all the rooms would be taken. I was informed that the standard rooms were all about that sort of size and I could for £15 upgrade to a ‘Executive room’. For that price, who could say ‘no’. Well I wish I had! After exchanging my key card (and enjoying another bouncy ride in the lift) I entered room 145. OK so the room was large, but the over riding feature was the volume of the afore mentioned disco, I actually thought they were hosting the party in my room. Once over the shock of the noise level I was then hit by the heat. I searched around for the air conditioning control to turn it down below 30c but I quickly found out air conditioning had not reached the Roker. So the first night was spent sweating as turning the radiator control down to 0 did nothing to reduce the heat it was pumping out and waiting for the magical 11:30pm on the sunday evening when I was told the music would stop pumping out. One night down two to go. At breakfast the next morning I was informed I could have the continental breakfast or order from the menu. After stopping in quite a few hotels over the last few weeks I thought I’d go the healthy route and avoid the traditional ‘Full English’ MISTAKE!!! The continental breakfast was essentially a choice of around 8 pastries. That was it. OK there was a little bit of fruit, the standard cereals and a collection of nuts but not exactly tempting or filling. So good old cornflakes it was.

The second evening was much quieter due to the lack of disco but this was replaced with the noise of traffic on the road outside but I had no choice as the only way to cool the room down was to leave the window open all night long. Even a late January night in the north east of England with the North Sea just feet away could not really cool the room down.

Breakfast was no better the second morning. But I did now mention the heat to a member of staff. I did have to double check as she didn’t seem to register but on asking again she said she would get it looked at. On returning, the room was cooler but the radiator was still quite hot despite been turned down to 0. As the evening went on though it got warmer and warmer but sleeping with the window open was not an option as it was raining for most of the night.

As for food at the Roker. Just don’t eat here. The restaurant is pub where football games are shown (which also explains why the Best Western flags were taken down and ones celebrating the local football team were flown, have to say not the best greeting when stopping at an international chain hotel) I again decided I’d try to eat a little healthier than normal so ordered a hot roast sandwich which was supposed to come with salad instead it came swimming in gravy with chips and tasted like last weeks left over sunday lunch.

Having read a number of reviews on TripAdvisor, it seems the noise from the bar and the heat are the most common complaints and the management seem to reply to each one with comments like “we try to allocate the rooms above the bar to people attending the function” and “we will look at controlling the heat”. If they try to allocate rooms above the bar to those attending the functions, why so many complaints and why was I told I could have had a room away from the bar. Why not put me in that room in the first place?

As for the ‘Free High speed internet’ a couple of things… One, it’s not high speed. Even basic pages take forever to load and worst of all, it is an unsecured connection, there is simply no excuse for not securing the wifi connection. So what if they have to give customers a code, it’s better than an unsecured connection that is incredibly easy to abuse.

On the last evening there, a note was pushed under my door asking if I would discuss the issues with the manager. As expected, the same excuses were used that you’ll find on Trip Advisor.

I could go on and on and on about just how bad the Roker is but I will sum it up in five words. Fawlty Towers without the comedy!

Room Tip: On a weekend, make sure you have a room as far away from the bar as possible.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Sunderland hotels

Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic stay here, rooms really spacious an clean. Great staff in the bar, hotel and restaurant. Really good atmosphere. Stayed for dinner bed and breakfast and the food was fantastic for both!! Checkout was 11 which I thought was a tad early as breakfast is served until 10 but all in all really recommend staying here. Excellent value

• Stayed January 2014
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My fiancée and I celebrated our engagement with family and friends here in May 2013.

We had booked the harbour suite with the events co-ordinator, Leanne, who was really helpful and friendly. The harbour suite overlooks the sea front, which was an absolutely beautiful view
especially in May when the sun was shining.

The buffet included two hot dishes but we paid for an extra dish for the vegetarians who were attending the party. We had lasagne, curry and a vegetarian pasta bake - all was enjoyed by everyone.

Leanne kindly hired a DJ for us, as we didn't know of any decent DJ's and we didn't really have much time to do our research, which turned out great - the DJ played music that was enjoyed by all - everyone was up and dancing straight away, even my nan was dancing in her wheelchair!

We had an amazing time and all our friends and family commented afterwards saying that it was the best party they had been to.

Only thing that was slightly disappointing, was that we couldn't stay overnight in the hotel as they were already fully booked - but that goes to show how popular this hotel actually is for both events and stays.

I would highly recommend this hotel for events, and I would definitely return for another event - maybe even my wedding!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family