“Great stay at Rokers Best Western”
Review of Roker Hotel

Roker Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay at Rokers Best Western”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

A recent trip back North we decided to try the Roker Hotel, now part of Best Western. We (my wife, child and self) had a great stay here. The room was spotless and we had a great sea view. Food was excellent and the especially the breakfasts were great with loads of choice. We were made to feel really welcome by all the staff we met and they all made time for our 2 year old, who loved the attention. I would certainly recommended this hotel and will undoubtedly stay there again.

1 Thank crozza71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel impresses me! For a 3 star hotel it is fantastic. Located on the promenade with excellent sea views and walking opportunities. For the walkers follow the sign marina and you will end up in town, roughly a 45 min leisurely stroll. On passing pop into the glass museum or a coffee! For the travellers whom do not wish to walk there is a bus stop outside the hotel. E1 service costing 3.80 all day for all stage coach buses. Now......back to the hotel. Room adequately presented. Very clean. Ample storage and hangers. Tea and coffee and biscuits supplied. Hair dryer and suitcase stand in room also. Bathroom, big, modern and clean with ample towels and hotel toileteries. Rooms cleaned daily and towels refreshed. Alarm clock and tv for those who wish to use. Bar in hotel very busy either good atmosphere. Restaurant belonging to hotel AMAZING! Food fresh, staff friendly, house wine lovely and prices, extremely reasonable. Hotel breakfast lovely, variety of cooked options available, for those watching the waste, a lovely spread of yogurts, fresh fruit, cereals, juices, bars, pastries, muffins, breads, jams etc. I really cannot complain about this hotel. It is under going refurb but this did not cause any disturbance to our stay. My only grip, if you would call it a grip is the 3 pm check in, but they do keep your cases for you. Thank you Roker fir a brilliant comfortable stay. I highly recommend this hotel to fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room of the sea. However be aware that the bar is very popular with locals and open...
1 Thank Gillian C
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel is hampered in terms of convenience by its layout but is clean, well equipped with a busy bar. Front facing, ground floor rooms are a bit noisy but, overall the Roker hotel is good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have been coming to the North East of England all my life, first to visit family and then studying there for a brief spell. During the great many trips to the North East the Roker Hotel has always been a firm favourite. The old hotel sits at the top of Roker beach alongside others buildings that one time would have housed the great and the good but now more often than not are apartment residences or guesthouses. The view from the hotel encompasses Roker and Seaburn beach fronts, Sunderland light house and the mouth the river where you can see what remains of the North East’s ship building industry and St. Peters University Campus.

The Family and I ordered a few drinks and sat outside under the Roker’s well appointed covered seating area, the day was sunny and the there were plenty on the cities beaches enjoying the weather. We decided to sit inside to properly consider the menu - the choices are for the main part simple pub fare with a few embellishments. Conscious of eating a larger meal in the evening we decided to go for something fairly light. I was quite astonished to find the menu quite cheap, I decided to take advantage of the ‘deal of the day’ on this occasion one could choose any pizza or pasta and a drink for a mere £6.95! Startlingly cheap in my estimation. Not knowing much about the quality of the food included in such a deal I decided to play it safe and opted for a margarita pizza with a glass of Shiraz. To complete our food order we also chose the hot roast pork sandwich with thick cut potato chips (no gravy).

Having ordered the food we took advantage of the breathtaking views offered by this wild often unruly coastline where hauntingly beautiful meets the remnants of an often ugly industrial past. I think it would be quite easy to while away the hours in a place like this with nothing but the ocean waves and a steady supply of food and drink to keep you company. As concerns the internal of Roker Hotel itself, we only ate and did not stay in the hotel rooms. The bar area which I imagine gets a lot busier in the evening or at the weekends could certainly be tidied up as it shows the signs of footfall and age. The seating area where we sat was a great deal nicer, old photographs of the city and commemorative sports items adorn the walls and make for a pleasant reminder of where this city has come from and perhaps alludes to where it hopes to go.

The food took a little time in arriving which always puts me in a bad mood to begin with, so when the waiter brought it out I admit to being in a condemning mood before the start. The only problem however was that there was little or nothing to condemn. My pizza although simple and rustic was cooked to perfection – stone baked pizza’s in my experience can often be over cooked producing a burnt black mess, or undercooked leaving too much flour and leaving you with the sense of having liked the floor of a supermarket bakery. This pizza was neither and the wine which was included was eminently quaffable (if only a little small 125ml). The roast pork sandwich was even better, served on thick cut toasted bread with homemade apple sauce the pork was cooked to perfection and served in healthy slices, none of this rubbery translucent material pertaining to be pork that often pervades shop shelves and cafe plates these days.

The views were spectacular and the food was excellent, yes thought Roker bar could do with a lick of paint and we waited longer than I would have liked but it is well worth calling into the Roker Hotel and you won’t have to pay through the nose for the pleasure.

1 Thank Thomas L
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My friend and I stayed one night with a voucher that I had won on a charity event.The staff on duty was very pleasant ,our lovely room had a sea view ,the staff rang the room to see if everything was to our satisfaction .Everything was excellent with the room,staff and the meals.The evening bar staff told us what drinks was on special and we passed that on to friends who we met up later with.Thank you, the Roker Hotel have done Sunderland proud .

Room Tip: Request to change rooms ,am sure the staff will help if unsuitable .
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 400Cee
Near Birmingham
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel is getting a bit 'tired' - ready for a bit of renovation - or at least the part I was in could do with that! The bed would benefit from a new mattress and the room with decorating and a new carpet. Even so, my stay was ok and I would come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Sunderland Marriott Hotel
#9 of 10 in Sunderland
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Roker Hotel? Share your experiences!