“Crumbs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Crumbs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Roker Hotel have recently opened a cafe called "Crumbs".
However, they need to decide if this is a cafe or a function room as they deny access to their customers and hotel guests when they can book it out for a wedding reception.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Wilmslow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

What do you want from your hotel after a hard days work? Peace, comfort and somewhere to relax. Then in my experience this hotel is not for you. It is in reality a bar and entertainment centre with rooms attached. Admittedly I did not book the best Western Roker Hotel myself, it was paid for by the organisation I was working for but on looking up the hotel on Tripadvisor I was somewhat nervous.

I arrived to find a band blasting away in front of the hotel and struggled through the crowds to the entrance. At reception I asked whether my room was at the back but the receptionist’s look gave it away. However, she assured me the band would be moving inside by 10:00pm but the music would continue until 1:00am. I got to my room and looked out on the view over the harbour but if I looked straight down just feet below me there were the crowds drinking and clearly having a great time. The room was clean but stuffy, tiny and very basic. The TV did not work – it later turned out that the digibox was placed on the top of a wardrobe in such a way that it was inaccessible to the remote. It took 45 mins, 2 phone calls and a visit to reception to get the matter sorted out and at the same time a promise to try to get me a room at the back for the following night. It was nearly 11:00 and the band was still playing outside. Sleep was almost impossible and at 5:00am the guest in the room above started to move around. Every footstep sounded like a hammer blow and he walked around a great deal. In addition the window would not stay open to let in fresh air after the noise had finally died down.

After a long days work I returned to the hotel to find the noise situation even worse and the crowds larger. I had, as had been promised, moved to a room at the back and this was relative bliss and I managed to get a reasonable night. I had a long discussion with manager whose entire justification was that it was the Sunderland International Air Show. I knew that I was working there! I pointed out that the function of a hotel was primarily to look after the guests, many of whom who were likely to be working, and that there was nothing on his website informing potential guests of the other activities taking place. Nor was anyone informed at the time of booking. A colleague who had also asked to be moved had been transferred to my original room. She agreed with everything I have described including the noise from the room above but said that it was still much better than her original room!

The situation at this hotel was totally unacceptable and the owners need to decide what sort of establishment they wish to run, a hotel or a bar. They can’t have both. Sunderland does not have much choice if you want or have to stay there but in my opinion if you have the opportunity stay in Newcastle and travel. I have only had two really bad experiences in UK hotels over many years both in Best Western Hotels, never again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here insist on a rear room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sunderland hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday 19th July as part of a wedding party. The lack of air and seriously inadequate air con system ( if any ) was disgraceful. It was extremely uncomfortable in the grand room reception areas and room itself. Bar staff thought they were doing us a favour serving us!! On numerous occasions drinks were taken back to the bar because of a chemical tasting element which was met with shrugs of the shoulders and not customer friendly at all. The rooms were outdated and the serious overheating in rooms needs to be looked at, this is not a 2 star hotel. No decent nights sleep guaranteed here - what a shambles.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Davos58
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I cant say enough good words for the Hotel and Hotel staff . Professional polite and very accommodating . Leanne the wedding planners professionalism was second to none . We received nothing but amazing comments from our wedding guests from start to finish . Thank you so much . The Roker Hotel will always have a special place in my heart .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jason T
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I, along with another couple, visited the newly refurbished Italian Farmhouse on Saturday night (11.07.14). Our table was booked for 9:30pm.

The restaurant revamp is excellent and it's a very pleasant setting....however, you can spend all the money in the world, but unless the service and food is up to scratch, people will not return.

Unfortunately this is how we feel!

We arrived for our table at 9:30pm and waited almost 15 minutes for someone to ask us if we want a drink - they didn't! We had to ask ourselves and then eventually got some drinks.

We ordered starters (bread and olives/prawn cocktail etc... Nothing too exotic) but they took over 45 minutes to come to the table. It wasn't as if they were busy, as there were a maximum of 10 people in the whole place.... We asked the waiter if there was a problem and even he said he couldn't understand it, as there was nobody in.

Our taxi was booked for 11:30pm and at this point we hadn't even had our main meals - had to cancel it... Eventually we got our main course around 11:20pm which is far too late to be eating. The food was just ok and the whole night was really a disappointment!

We eat out most Saturdays and have eaten here when it was Retro and we had a similar experience.

In my opinion, the restaurant was fine as it was and the money would have been better spent on staff training or better chefs...

The decor alone will not be a determining factor in making customers return - it needs to be the whole package!

In summary, very disappointing and we won't be back!

It seems like the whole place is taking a turn for the worst at the moment as we had some pretty rubbish service in Crumbs too (and we were not the only ones complaining on both occasions either!!!)

Such a shame as it's a lovely setting and was once a great place!

Stayed July 2014
Lovedean Hants UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a lovely position this hotel is in, overlooking the sea with lighthouses to the left and right. I would imagine quite dramatic on a wild and windy day, however we had a very good weather for our short weekend break. After an extremely good value meal in the newly refurbished italian ( reopening night) 2 lots of bread and olives, 4 tapas style dishes and then 3 mains plus a bottle of Proseco came to £62. Good quality food and well presented. Service started very well but lost a little bit of direction as the evening got busier. Lovely stroll along Roker seafront after dinner and next morning before breakfast.
Our room 145 was big, clean and comfortable, the hotel now 80% refurbished. The bathroom had a separate bath and shower, very spacious with usual complimentary soaps and gels. Tea and coffee facilities well supplied. This room overlooks the sea views and i loved sitting on the wide windowsill to enjoy them. T
Because it is at the front of the hotel, the carpark, smoking area of the bar and front entrance are practically under the window. we were not too disturbed even though there were weddings on Friday and saturday but I can imagine it would be a problem if you are a light/problem sleeper. Breakfast is served in the new refurbished Crumbs tea room. I think this will be a great asset because again lovely views and ambience. We got down after a coach party had had breakfast and they struggled to re supply and tidy the buffet tables, We had to search out cutlery and glasses for juice. Staff need a bit more direction, lot of aimless wandering around but very pleasant when asked for something. hope to come back again as daughter has moved to the area.

Room Tip: Room 144 and 145 could suffer from noise as overlooking bar, front entrance and car park, but great...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank colwells2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Sunderland Marriott Hotel
No photo provided
April Guest House
#9 of 10 in Sunderland
Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Roker Hotel? Share your experiences!