“Well above expectations”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Well above expectations”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We won a prize in a raffle for 2 guests to stay at this hotel on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast basis for 1 night. Although we only live 1 hour away me and my partner decided to just enjoy the prize & stay for the night.
As we werent 'paying' guests i thought we would be given the less than standard service and room but we were wrong. We were given a very stylish standard double, the room was very clean, had all the ameneties you could ask for.
Dinner at the Italian Farmhouse next door was beautiful and as it was included with our room rate you get a £15 per person spenditure although if you overspent you just paid the difference through checkout. The food really was lovely.
We took advantage of the busy bar on the night, even seated outside while the sun was out, the view is lovely.
No noise during the night. Nothing to complain about.
Next morning breakfast is served in Crumbs, all you can ask for, including a full english. Again food was really nice, lovely view out of the window on a sunny morning.

Great night, great experience, great views, great service, great decor!

Room Tip: Take a view of the sea as its stunning
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed there for two nights for our anniversary and were pleasantly surprised the service that far exceeded its three star allocation. Searching with only a weeks notice were looking for a hotel that wasn't stupidly expensive but offered a good and elegant experience.

We had booked a standard room in the Roker hotel but while checking in we did inform the reception about our anniversary and they upgraded us to sea view room which was a very kind gesture. The Room was spacious and had a good view. The Hotel has a new tea room where we had our breakfast in the morning and it also a new Italian restaurant which was just opened for a week when we got there.

All in all a great stay . Its location , atmosphere and good staff makes it a great choice for couples and families seeking an escape away. We hope to be back very soon !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil T
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My visit was a one night stay for a work event the next day. First impression, very stylish, well presented next to the seafront. The food in the restaurant was fabulous. Although the service was rather poor for the amount of customers they had.
I'll firstly state that I am one of those lucky few who can sleep through anything. Usually..
There is no air conditioning in the room and therfore the window had to be opened, which also gave an unsafe feeling as it was one which could be opened just by pushing it up a little a little above a car park, right next to the bar which was across the road from a the sea.. So noise was a slight problem.
Breakfast was lovely, good selection and the staff were all lovely. It's a shame that a higher rating could had been given just for having small like air con. .

• Stayed July 2014
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Roker Hotel have recently opened a cafe called "Crumbs".
However, they need to decide if this is a cafe or a function room as they deny access to their customers and hotel guests when they can book it out for a wedding reception.

• Stayed August 2014

Travellers are raving about these Sunderland hotels

Wilmslow
Reviewed 29 July 2014

What do you want from your hotel after a hard days work? Peace, comfort and somewhere to relax. Then in my experience this hotel is not for you. It is in reality a bar and entertainment centre with rooms attached. Admittedly I did not book the best Western Roker Hotel myself, it was paid for by the organisation I was working for but on looking up the hotel on Tripadvisor I was somewhat nervous.

I arrived to find a band blasting away in front of the hotel and struggled through the crowds to the entrance. At reception I asked whether my room was at the back but the receptionist’s look gave it away. However, she assured me the band would be moving inside by 10:00pm but the music would continue until 1:00am. I got to my room and looked out on the view over the harbour but if I looked straight down just feet below me there were the crowds drinking and clearly having a great time. The room was clean but stuffy, tiny and very basic. The TV did not work – it later turned out that the digibox was placed on the top of a wardrobe in such a way that it was inaccessible to the remote. It took 45 mins, 2 phone calls and a visit to reception to get the matter sorted out and at the same time a promise to try to get me a room at the back for the following night. It was nearly 11:00 and the band was still playing outside. Sleep was almost impossible and at 5:00am the guest in the room above started to move around. Every footstep sounded like a hammer blow and he walked around a great deal. In addition the window would not stay open to let in fresh air after the noise had finally died down.

After a long days work I returned to the hotel to find the noise situation even worse and the crowds larger. I had, as had been promised, moved to a room at the back and this was relative bliss and I managed to get a reasonable night. I had a long discussion with manager whose entire justification was that it was the Sunderland International Air Show. I knew that I was working there! I pointed out that the function of a hotel was primarily to look after the guests, many of whom who were likely to be working, and that there was nothing on his website informing potential guests of the other activities taking place. Nor was anyone informed at the time of booking. A colleague who had also asked to be moved had been transferred to my original room. She agreed with everything I have described including the noise from the room above but said that it was still much better than her original room!

The situation at this hotel was totally unacceptable and the owners need to decide what sort of establishment they wish to run, a hotel or a bar. They can’t have both. Sunderland does not have much choice if you want or have to stay there but in my opinion if you have the opportunity stay in Newcastle and travel. I have only had two really bad experiences in UK hotels over many years both in Best Western Hotels, never again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here insist on a rear room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Saturday 19th July as part of a wedding party. The lack of air and seriously inadequate air con system ( if any ) was disgraceful. It was extremely uncomfortable in the grand room reception areas and room itself. Bar staff thought they were doing us a favour serving us!! On numerous occasions drinks were taken back to the bar because of a chemical tasting element which was met with shrugs of the shoulders and not customer friendly at all. The rooms were outdated and the serious overheating in rooms needs to be looked at, this is not a 2 star hotel. No decent nights sleep guaranteed here - what a shambles.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Davos58
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I cant say enough good words for the Hotel and Hotel staff . Professional polite and very accommodating . Leanne the wedding planners professionalism was second to none . We received nothing but amazing comments from our wedding guests from start to finish . Thank you so much . The Roker Hotel will always have a special place in my heart .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family