“Lovely cafe”

Ranked #69 of 444 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Stylish Licenced Café with variety of choices for Breakfast, Lunch and snacks and a Bar Bistro in the evenings. The menus offer Take-out Menu Extensive menu Also choices of Past & Pizza & grills Healthy Menu Vegetarian Menu Halal Menu Vegan Options Gluten Free We also have:
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I've been here and I really like it. I cycled and left my bike chained to a lamp post outside. The windows are huge so it felt safe. There are pavement chairs and tables if the weather is nice.
There is a huge menu. What we ordered was lovely and from what I could see other diners having, everything looked nice. The staff were very friendly. This place is spotless.
Very nice!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I can't recommend The Place Cafe enough. I rang to book a table for Fathers day last week for me , my Dad and my Daughter. My Daughter has a walking crutch so we asked for a table with easy access for her. We arrived early and the staff were fantastic, we didn't have to wait, our table was ideal for my daughter. The staff were fantastic, the service was great and the food was amazing, we will definitely be going back there. The portion size was fantastic, to say we left stuffed would be an understatement. The staff even offered to put some of my daughters food in a container for later so she is really happy with that. I was told of a few events that will be coming up soon so I will be keeping an eye out for those too. Top marks to all of the staff there, thank you for an amazing day from the Groves Family

Reviewed 6 June 2014

after being told that i could not order drinks at the counter and someone would come and take the order, no one did, when the order for food was taken we still had to ask someone to come back and take drinks order. having waited almost an hour for someone to take the food order, I asked for beef stroganoff with no chips which seemed to offend the staff, a request that was met with a shake of the head and a tut.when it arrived it was the strangest stroganoff i have ever seen, the sauce was almost the colour of a madras curry, the meat was black and hard it was so burnt, the onions were black and burnt, having removed the meat and onions from the sauce I tried to eat the rice and sauce but the overriding flavour was just of burnt onions. Very dissapointing, all the while the person who I assume was the manageress was having a go at various members of staff in front of the customers, very unprofessional. obviously the staff can not cope with stress at busy times.

2  Thank janh53
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Staff are very friendly and professional. I have never reviewed anywhere before because I believe in business the service should always be at a high quality however the place has over stepped the mark.

Clean, well situated, perfect presentation of food which is key and excellent value for money would advise no where else apart from here.

1  Thank Northeast2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Place Café is a great place to go if you’ve been busy shopping, working or just wandering around, and need somewhere to go to relax, spend time with friends, or enjoy a meal. The array of food and drinks on the menu are imaginative and enticing, from panini to toasted ciabatta sandwiches, all the way to a full Sunday lunch. The coffee is great (fresh ground and served from a three-group chrome coffee maker), and the staff are welcoming and friendly: look out for the homemade specials (we visited at Easter, and there were some great little wrapped sweet treats on offer too).
The overall atmosphere is comfortable - you can choose to sit at tables, or hang out in the lower comfy chairs, and it’s expansive with a lot of natural light: a perfect place to stop and have a well-earned rest before returning to the fray.

1  Thank dhsimmons