“Cheap food but scruffy surroundings”
Review of Yates Sunderland

Yates Sunderland
Ranked #246 of 439 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visited here yesterday and after squeezing past all the chavs at the front of the pub, we decided to sit right at the back. My Mam had said that the food used to be quite good and cheap so I decided to give it a go. It was 2 meals for £6.50 and there's a few choices but not many, and you're doomed if you're a vegetarian, but luckily I'm not. We both ordered cheeseburgers which came with chips, after fighting through people at the bar because there doesn't seem to be a queuing system. They arrived quite quickly and the chips tasted ok, burger was edible but it did taste a bit microwaved as it was a big soggy. My Mam said the coffee was great but the mugs did look a bit scruffy. For dessert we both had chocolate fudge cake with ice cream, and the desserts were buy one get one free at £3.99. They were quite nice though. I decided to risk the toilets and found that most of them had no locks and the lights were so dim, you may as well have been in the dark. Staff were a bit miserable, could have done with a smile and more friendliness. Overall, I think the food quality has declined and there seems to be less on the menu. Not sure I would return even if it is cheap, as Wetherspoons has similar prices but better food and service.

1  Thank Touran P
There are newer reviews for Yates Sunderland

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We entered and almost immediately my wife wished to leave, I told her to give it the benefit of the doubt and so we stayed (not very long I might add), we were greeted by filthy little homeless types who could barely dress themselves. I refer of course to the clientele. It seems as though the management endorse such vagrants as they are left to roam freely within the establishment all the while clutching whatever cheap draught they can get their hands on for less than £3. The swearing was of course an issue and completely unnecessary. It seemed as though they all brandished a one word vocabulary. A plethora of "f" words followed. We quickly drank off our Luke warm drinks and ran. Rest assured we shall never darken your doors again.

2  Thank Becks27R
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Food was ok, bar staff brilliant, kitchen staff moaning had to do food, 6pm and more customers wanting food, more upset microwave tech got

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Visit here a lot the food is a total
Bargain & very tasty. Friendly atmosphere. Central location.
Deserts are delicious too. Good place for lunch / tea.
Friendly staff.
Can't fault it

Reviewed 24 August 2013

2 Meals for £6.45 and wine £5 a bottle . The food was served promptly .I had hunters chicken which was cooked to perfection and my friend had scampi which she assured me was delicious. The barman recommend the wine which was very palatable. The music wasn't too loud all in all a nice meal and a drink in a pleasant atmosphere .. I will definitely return