“Almost perfect”

The Ivy house
Ranked #41 of 427 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: At the Ivy House we do things a little differently. For us its all about choice. Yes, we sell Fosters, John Smiths and Smirnoff but we also sell Brooklyn, an eclectic range of cask and craft beers and a diverse choice of spirits. We want you to enjoy a comfortable vibe where you can listen to good tunes & feel relaxed. We don't have a microwave, not one. We don't do frozen, all our food including our own buns. Our pizza's & burgers are as fresh as it gets and all made right in front of you. Come in & see for yourself
uk
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Loving the Ivy since it's revamp and new owners. Having drank in here for over 20 years (and a barmaid at one point), it's great to see how fab it has become. Food is great, beer is great.
Things that need a little work - Bacchus needs to be a regular beer, not just everyone now and again when they eventually sell the not so nice 'fruit' beer that replaces it. The toilets needs attention!! Really letting the place down, and the girls loos should not be used as a mens disabled toilet when there is sufficient room and a cubible in the mens loos (so I have been told).

• Visited May 2013

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
“much better since revamp”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I've drank in the ivy on and off for 30 years!
since refit food excellent good ambience
better clientele nice beer
toilets still the same as 30 years ago tho!

Sunderland
“I Really Want This Place to be Excellent”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Since its' revamp a year or so ago I've been here half a dozen times, in all areas of the pub, and sampled a variety of their wares.

Pizza, burgers and wedges/chips are excellent, good value, but even better value when the burger plus a pint offer is on. There is also a happy hour thing where you press a button for the chance of half price or free beers, it's worked for me twice, and free beer is a nice little saving.

However, regardless of the cost, and the great goodwill I have for The Ivy and its' people, I've had several poor beer experiences. For a pub priding itself on ales, it just doesn't stack up for me, a couple of visits with a couple of poor pints has put me off going back for a while. A friend actually returned a pint it was so poor, and was met with an unhelpful reaction from bar staff, who did, to their credit replace the drink, but not until after questioning his taste.

This remains a good pub, but I'll need convincing about the beer before I make a habit of going again.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank GraemeySunderland
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Hand made burgers and crafted beer”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

What more could you want from a pub than hand made burgers and crafted beer. This place specialises in stocking unusual beers such as Grey Goose, Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada and local beers from micro breweries such as sonnet43. Tremendous! Recommend you visit on a Thursday when there is a beer and burger offer on -good value.
The burgers are and made and I can vouch for them excellent if either chicken or beef. Would I recommend this place to a friend ..... absolutely would I return ....as soon as I possibly can!!!

• Visited April 2013
“Good beer, good food, good ambiance....”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

First time we have been here in a long while. We saw something in the CAMRA news booklet and decided to take a look. An excellent range of beers and ales were on sale. We had burgers... no ordinary burgers either! Mines was Jerked chicken with roasted red peppers served with a side of potato wedges. Really well cooked and presented on little wooden boards. As it was a Thursday we got the burger and a pint for £6.95 each. Excellent value! We shall certainly be visiting here again very soon.