“Good food, beer and music”
Review of The Ivy house

The Ivy house
Ranked #43 of 427 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: At the Ivy House we do things a little differently. For us its all about choice. Yes, we sell Fosters, John Smiths and Smirnoff but we also sell Brooklyn, an eclectic range of cask and craft beers and a diverse choice of spirits. We want you to enjoy a comfortable vibe where you can listen to good tunes & feel relaxed. We don't have a microwave, not one. We don't do frozen, all our food including our own buns. Our pizza's & burgers are as fresh as it gets and all made right in front of you. Come in & see for yourself
“Good food, beer and music”
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

The Ivy House has a real pub atmosphere, which is lacking in many so called pubs now. There is a great selection of beers, European and British, all of which are very well kept.

If you are feeling peckish look no further than their fantastic selection of pizzas and burgers, all made to order in their open kitchen - excellent quality and very generous portions. They also have fantastic music playing, after a few pints you can't help singing along.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Best pub in town, great food, atmosphere, music and tattoos”
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

I have been going to the Ivy since I was 17 back in the 80s and until last September it hadn't changed, which is why I stopped going. After the revamp it is easily the best pub in town. The pizzas and burgers are all he made and quite adventurous and of the 10+ tea I have eaten there have never been disappointed.

The choice of beers, both ales and craft beers is brilliant, but the atmosphere on the weekends especially is amazing. No Charvers, just a good mix of young and old, punks, mods, goths the lot. The music played is more John Peel / Radio 6 than the usual crap played at all bar a couple of pubs in Sunderland, and Fi one of the barmaids, organises live music occasionally which is always well supported. Even the toilets don't smell thanks to a couple of extra extractor fans. The only downside is when I go in I never want to leave, so often spend a fortune!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Dougy_Giro
london,england
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Back to the future”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Great Pub, excellent food, friendly ADULT atmosphere.
The renovation to The Ivy House is welcome to the majority of Sunderland pub goers.
The open kitchen serves the freshest Burgers and Pizzas up until 9pm and I'm not the only person I know who has described at least one of the pizzas as "the best I have EVER had".
Fantastic, and watch out for Fi's themed nights, special food and great fun!

Visited July 2013
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and wine”
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Having been a customer at The Ivy House for about 10 years I was happy to see the place renovated and taken over by management that seem to really care. Pizzas and burgers are made from scratch and are absolutely excellent and the wine list is probably the best out of all the pubs in Sunderland. A very good range of beers and ales also. Service is always with a smile. Toilets definitely need improvement, as they had been left as they were before the renovation, which is a bit of a let down considering how lovely the bar area is. Also could make better use of the yard space at the back so you can sit out there in the summer.

• Visited June 2013
Newcastle
“A refreshing change!”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We'd heard that this place had been recently been taken over by new owners and had read an excellent review in the Sunderland Echo, so decided to stop in for something to eat one evening. I had a pizza topped with madras prawns, mango chutney and coriander and my partner had roast pork with sauerkraut and blue cheese and both were absolutely fantastic. Neither of us had seen pizzas with toppings like these before and we couldn't believe how well they all worked together. My pizza was without doubt better than anything I've had in any Italian restaurant and the husband said the same; the bases were thin, both were perfectly cooked and the service was attentive but never intrusive. I had a lovely glass of wine and my partner had a pint of real ale which he said was excellent. It's a refreshing change to see a pub try to innovate and put so much thought and effort into their food and drink and not just serve up the same old plate of deep fried food and off licence wine. All in all, not what you'd expect from a back street Sunderland pub and the whole thing made a very refreshing change from the usual pub experience in Sunderland, would definitely recommend.

• Visited June 2013