“EXCELLENT FOOD WITH A TWIST”
Review of Monsoon Kitchen

Monsoon Kitchen
Ranked #42 of 440 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$13 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Grill and Asian Fusion
Reviewed 10 June 2013

For something different we decided to try this new restaurant and were absolutely delighted. We were greeted by very friendly staff who explained their menu was different from the usual indian, tho the names may be similar and also the décor was also "non indian", vibrant spice colours have been used and no expense spared. They grind all of their own spices and use unusual ingredients. I chose a lamb biryani dish which was delicious but a little too spicy for my taste and was offered a very tasty thick mango lassi to cool my mouth. We were also offered various other tasters and given an insight to their origins. Before leaving we had a tour of their spotless kitchen by the chefs, to see where this amazing food had been prepared. Although they do not serve alcohol for religious reasons and the meal took a little longer to arrive because it's all made from scratch, the food more than made up for this, we will definitely be returning to this fab new restaurant.

1  Thank IWISH

Reviewed 9 June 2013

A new restaurant with a great location, great service and gorgeous food. Beautiful surroundings in this restaurant can't fault it and the staff are welcoming and very friendly. The best ezperience I have had and willl go back.

1  Thank Hinna K
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Highly recommended!! The first thing is the fab interior and very friendly staff. They are happy to talk through the menu and although you wait around 20mins(as everything is cooked fresh from scratch)it is well worth the wait. The food is delicious and authentic, from recipes handed down from the family. My friends tried the chicken byrianni which was a delight and the surf and turf was one of the best steaks I have ever had. It is reasonably priced and although alchohol is off the menu the there is a range of soft and authenic Asian soft drinks. I would say to anyone give this little gem a try..I'll be back!! YUM :)

2  Thank Tracca B
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This it authentic Indian food, predominantly from Punjab. Bears little resembance to your average Bangladeshi restaurants & take aways. The food is freshly prepared (within reason) & the difference is obvious. I had the Onion Bhajia served with 4 little pots of pickle, and was not the usual stodgy, greasy ball of flour that is normally served. For main I had Chicken Vindaloo, which is how Vindaloo should be cooked, with vinegar & lots of garlic, not just stupidly hot as many people perceive. It was on the hot side for sure, but very tasty. The Naan bread was nice & light & not stodgy. I had the cold rice pudding, Kheer, which was nice but too sweet for me, as I never normally have deserts - ever ! This is the best Indian restaurant in town, simply because it is the only Indian restaurant in town ! Down side is that they don't allow any alcohol. I had Mango Lassi & a Coke, but I would have appreciated a Cobra. If you only eat the same Chicken Madras or Vindaloo with 6 pints at 11:00 at night, then this isn't for you, but if you appreciate good Indian Cuisine, then you'll not be disappointed.

1  Thank Ian P
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Was at the restaurant on Sunday evening for a birthday and glad we have found a new place to eat as the food was fabulous. Could not fault the service we received and asked lots of questions as to some of the food on the menu as it was totally different from any other Indian restaurant in the area. I had the handi chicken masala and my wife have the slow cooked lamb and the taste was excellent. Recommend a visit to this new gem in Sunderland

2  Thank KEV C