“Different, but in a good way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Monsoon Kitchen

Monsoon Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Monsoon Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 420 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Grill, Fusion, Central Asian, Philippine
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Grill and Asian Fusion
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Different, but in a good way!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I live locally so decided to try out the latest new restaurant in our little area, and I'm very glad we did! It was excellent Asian food, Pakistani to be precise, and everything was just a little bit different from your run of the mill Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani restaurant.

The popadoms were prepared and presented in a way I've never seen before and were non-greasy and delicately flavoured. My wife's onion bhaji was served differently to any I'd seen before and she rated them highly, and my seekh kebab starter from the grill menu was nice and juicy and well seasoned.

My chicken biryani was unlike any I'd tried before in the way that it was layered, and was delicious. My wife's tikka masala was very different to any masala we've had before, it wasn't the usual bright red colour and didn't have the same nutty flavour of your typical masala, but it tasted excellent all the same. The fact that we were able to specify exactly what level of spice we desired due to the dishes being prepared freshly to order was a massive bonus, and is definitely reassuring in that you know the food hasn't been prepared hours in advance and is just sat there in a pot all evening waiting to be ladled out, as I suspect it is in some places.

The decor was nice and colourful, and obviously new and clean, so that gets a thumbs up. And the serving staff were excellent and extremely helpful. My wife and I seldom drink so the alcohol restrictions weren't an issue for us, and I admire the owners' having the courage of their convictions in sticking by their Muslim faith/principles.

Finally, the prices and value for money were excellent considering the freshness and tastiness of the food, the hearty portion sizes, and the all round pleasurable dining experience. We'll definitely be going back and would recommend it to any fans of high quality Asian cuisine.

1 Thank JandL212

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What wonderful food!!”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

To be honest I am not a great fan of Indian or Asian food. My experience has always been garish coloured food which is just too hot and spicy to enjoy, being more of an endurance test than pleasurable dining experience.
Monsoon Kitchen therefore was an absolute revelation!!! I dined there this evening for the first time and what a treat!!. The food is just divine, cooked fresh and tailor made to order, the wonderful flavours of the fresh ingredients and spices quite simply weave magic with your taste buds. The food is neither brightly coloured nor aimed at merely make you sweat perfusely and drown your fired throat with lager. If this is your preference then leave this little gem to those seeking to taste authentic, traditional asian food. Beautifully presented and served by lovely friendly people who are quite rightly proud of the food and experience they offer. Can't wait to try out more of the menu!!!

1 Thank Jen R
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Excellent Indian food that's a bit different”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It was our first time here for a meal at the weekend but it won't be the last. The food is a little different - and better - than Indian food served in other restaurants in the area. Even the way they serve poppadoms and onion bahjis is great, very tasty indeed instead of being covered in oil. I'd definitely go back and try more dishes.

The guys who work there are friendly and will talk you through anything on the menu that you ask them to. The only thing is there isn't a licence to serve or sell alcohol, but to be honest when the food is this good, you don't need it or miss it. We drank mango lassi which was gorgeous and went perfectly with the food, which is as how it should be.

Highly recommended and will definitely visit again.

3 Thank Glenda_Young
“Refreshing change..”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Went for a takeaway and stayed for meal. Fantastic food, freshly cooked (even got tour of the kitchen) and carefully prepared. Wonderful, friendly service-. even if you're just waiting for your takeaway, try the mango lassi - its a taste sensation in a cup!

Can highly recommend the Palak Gosht Handi with beautifully tender lamb and the Desi Handi, and if you think you know what raita and naan bread tastes like, think again- try them here and be blown away. The restaurant does operate a no-alcohol policy but that's not a problem as the food is the star of this show.

Fresh contemporary premises to match fresh contemporary menu, well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MsMFK
Sunderland
“excellent food”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Visited this restaurant on sunday evening. The decor is very nice and the staff are very welcoming and accommodating. The menu was different to the normal north east Indian menu so we did ask for help in deciding . The food was excellent and freshly cooked. Whilst it did take some time to come it was worth waiting for. The only down side was the restaurant does not serve alcohol which was a disappointment for some of our party but not me. Would definitely return.The also provide takeaways.

• Visited June 2013