“absolutely lovely in every way!”
Review of Monsoon Kitchen

Monsoon Kitchen
Ranked #46 of 449 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$14 - US$21
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Grill and Asian Fusion
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The food, the people and the atmosphere was perfect. It wasn't to expensive, the prices are inline with most indian restaurants. The flavours in the food stood out so they are memorable. The poeple working their were very polite and respectful. I really hope to see this restaurant still there in another ten year, I will definitely be recommending it and visiting again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

very nice . lovely menu ,nice staff !
We will return! lets hope it will be the same again..... We were treated very well not rushed just left to enjoy our meal lovely

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is my third time in this restaurant and each time the food continues to delight. Everything freshly cooked, service was impeccable and the mango lassi to die for. We were stuffed! We still managed a a taste of a complimentary pudding though - the most delicious Gulab Jamun!

The restaurant is not the run of the mill 'Indian' but offers traditional dishes, beautifully presented in lovely surroundings. It rivals the equally good Dabbawal in Jesmond but is more handy just being over the bridge! If you like authentic food, Monsoon is for you.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We first ate here last summer, shortly after it opened and thought it was a brilliant little restaurant. We ate here again last night and are now wondering why it took us so long to come back again!

I won't go over all the things other have said about the menu other than to say you won't find most of the dishes you traditionally see in Asian restaurants. That isn't a negative thing, just a great reason to try new and interesting dishes!

Dishes we tried were a chicken tikka starter, a samosa chaat (a first for either of us), a seekh kebab main from the grill with a coriander nana, a Palak gosht (another first) and a Pilau rice. Everything was beautifully cooked and presented, the flavours were deep, rich and fragrant, and the portions were extremely generous for the prices we paid.

The decor is high class and the service was friendly and attentive, although he would have had no excuse not have been given that the restaurant was sadly empty aside from us and a few takeaway customers. Such a shame that such a high quality restaurant seems so underused! I guess the location and the lack of alcohol are the culprits here - it certainly can't be the food that is the problem!!

They can't do anything about the location, but they are changing the policy on alcohol which will hopefully see business improve. They now have lager on sale, and are in the process of fitting a fully stocked bar. I don't drink so it's not an issue for me personally, but I know I would never get friends and family to come here with us without alcohol on offer, but that obstacle appears to have been removed.

I definitely won't be leaving it as long to revisit the restaurant next time, and will hopefully be bringing other friends and family with us to try and spread the word! As someone below has said - people of Sunderland need to 'use it or lose it'. It would be a real tragedy to lose such a high quality restaurant from the city!!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had a great time at monsoon kitchen while having my dinner tonight. the staff was so cooperative and willing to serve the customers. very friendly environment. A nice place for families and couples. the food presentation was beautiful and it was delicious. everything was cooked well.