“Best in class”

Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Grill and Asian Fusion
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I visited monsoon kitchen with my wife on the basis of the trip advisor reviews. I was not disappointed. The food was exceptional, as was the service. The only negative is the location as it was extremely quiet the night we dined and people must be put off by it being out of the city centre. Don't be. It is well worth a visit!

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful authentic Indian food, very different from your run of the mill Indian restaurant. The desserts are worth a try soon excellent!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is only my second visit to the Monsoon Kitchen (despite living only a couple of minutes away!) and I was not disappointed.

Firstly, the reason that this review isn't 5/5 is due to the restuarant's location which is on one of the main roads outside of the city centre. In all honesty the location isn't befitting of a restaurant of this quality and I sincerely hope they relocate to a better part of town where they can have the exposure they deserve.

That is the one and only negative.

The interior is amongst the best the city has to offer. Bright and colourful yet tranquil at the same time. We got talking to the friendly lady who works there (I think she runs this place with her husband) and she was proudly telling us about the fantastic 'Monsoon Kitchen' mural on the wall which her husband had designed and made himself.

The staff are superb. Very pleasant and friendly, kindly explaining to us that everything is cooked from scratch so to expect the food to take a little longer to arrive than other restaurants. My girlfriend ordered the chicken korma (boring choice I thought!) and I ordered a vegetable curry (possibly an even more boring choice and unlike me!).

Her chicken korma was superb and unlike any I have tasted before. My vegetable curry was a bit bland but I think that is because it is only the second veggie curry I have ordered in my life, so maybe I am used to more flavour. It was almost like spinach soup. In fairness it was still tasty but I wouldn't order it again, however, I put that down to a bad choice on my part rather than poor quality from the restaurant. The garlic naan bread was exceptional, one of the best we've ever had. Similarly the onion bhaji starter was excellent too.

I really want to see this restaurant suceed. They do things properly and you can really tell that quality is their main focus. You can visit another twenty curry houses in Sunderland and have almost identical meals - with Monsoon Kitchen you know you are going to get something much better, for that reason I will definitely be back again and I won't leave it as long next time.

1  Thank ajmuckles
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Came here on a Saturday night as the reviews on trip advisor were great, soon as we walked in the door we were asked straight away do you have a voucher . A voucher what is that ? It's ok just sit down there any table so we did and looked at each other but thought maybe we had to sit separate from those with vouchers , service was nice but very slow I got a bottle if white wine which came warm then when I asked for ice they had none left which was annoying , ordered our food which was nice, the waitress was very pleasant but seemed to be rushed off get feet with no help at all which I felt for, nice place but would not rush back as we look fir more service and attention when we dine out

1  Thank Abs M
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

This was a delicious and authentic restaurant with friendly staff and a nice environment. We were on a living social deal but we were still treat like royalty. This was the best curry I have had ever - would recommend the Qurma and the kahari .... Delicious!!!

2  Thank 834helen78