“worst scones ever”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
manchester
“worst scones ever”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

first visit in many years. a bit of a refurb, wow those prices now look a bit steep, £2.50 for a scone and butter, gave it a try.
filter coffee very good
cheese scone just awful, tasteless, wholemeal, terrible bake and so, so heavy - almost inedible.
mentioned it to staff, lovely response, immediately took off bill and said would speak to chef.
i guess chef doesnt try his food?

• Visited March 2014
NGC_GlassCentre, Manager at The Glass Yard, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
We are sorry that you found our scones disappointing. We have recently revised our ingredients and now have a guest scone on daily. We thank you for your feedback and hope you return soon.

• Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Breakfast”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Best breakfast outside of home for a long time, good selection of teas, food well cooked and presented.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank OldClanEllmes
Many thanks for your positive review of The Brasserie. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“early lunch”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had an early light lunch and found the ploughman's and the fish platters very good.

The one complaint was the plates we were given were still dirty. The staff did change them but seemed a bit reluctant.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Madcatwoman18
Many thanks for your review of The Brasserie. We are always looking for feedback from our visitors.
“excellent tea and scone”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Dunno why there's so many bad reviews of this place I mean its a brasserie not fine dining they have vastly improved the whole place service very good tea and scone very tasty and reasonably priced I will deffo be returning

• Visited January 2014
Many thanks for your positive review of The Brasserie. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit. We have recently launched our Summer menu and have a daily guest scone which we hope you try on a return visit.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea.....Don't.”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Got some promotion through the post and thought after a refurb it might be a nice place to bring my friend for her birthday.
Afternoon tea. This was her treat.

Selection of freshly made finger sandwiches, freshly baked sweet pastries,
homemade fruit scones with
freshly made jam & cream.

£13.50

As you have to wait till 2-30 for the afternoon tea....we all skipped lunch.....unfortunately the birthday girl had skipped breakfast as well.......

I'm still cringing with embarrassment at the thought of what came next

I'm expecting pretty china, cute pots for jam and cream....oh ok I'll confess ...even expected a table cloth. After all afternoon tea is an experience as much as enjoying the food .right?

There had been a refurb? Well it looked very similar to the old place to me.....so trying to keep thoughts of the fifty mile round trip out of mind and the little cute place near home that does this so well

I looked forward to the delicious sounding food that was promoted in the publicity.

First out was the cream and jam. Slapped On an ordinary plate and strangely the home made jam the thought of which was enough to make the mouth water...suspiciously arrived in two small catering plastic trays. Hmmmm

What was that feeling? My sinking heart sadly.

I brightened a bit when the 3 tiered serving cake plate. On the top tier were three finger sandwiches ( bread with crusts cut off)
The middle tier had a fruit scone

The bottom layer had 5 chocolates

Now I'm trying to control the rising panic! Was this all? Where was the choice? We're we meant to swap with one another?

We tucked in and also got offered another cup of tea by the very pleasant waitress I must add.

After eating what was put in front of us.

We waited and chatted for a while . Me desperately hoping , the pastries were on their way. Perhaps they were warming them!

No. That was it.

Oh the shame . £40.50p.....there were three of us , for what cannot have been more than £6 or £7 pounds of food for all three of us.

To my acute embarrassment. I had bigged it up to my friend, telling her I had booked afternoon tea as a treat instead of letting her pick off the menu where there was a steak sandwich and fries on offer.

In sheer desperation I made my excuses on the pretext I was going to ask the staff where the toilet was. In a voice I hoped wasn't more than a whisper I asked if the pastries were coming. To which I'd got the reply that they had substituted petits fours. Now to me petition fours are little oven baked cakes ....they got what looked more like chocolates!!!

The secret was out. That was it. I was offered a £13-50 reduction off the bill which I accepted but I'm still not happy.

This was my friends birthday.
The blurb made it sound like something special. And it wasn't...it was dreadful.

I shall be letting them know.

I should have checked here first.

• Visited December 2013