“Good coffee but the service was patchy”
Review of The Glass Yard

The Glass Yard
Ranked #100 of 456 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We decided to have a quick coffee after our visit to the main area. The staff were friendly and welcoming and were happy to do just coffee despite it being nearly lunch time. It took a while to get someone to take our order and a fairly long time for the drinks to come. The actual coffee was very good and reasonably priced.

2  Thank Chris F
NGC_GlassCentre, Manager at The Glass Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Brasserie. We are pleased you enjoyed your coffee and found our staff friendly and welcoming but am disappointed to hear that you had to wait for your drinks to arrive, please accept our apologies regarding the delay. We do hope you visit again soon where you will experience a speedier service.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Beautiful, airy brasserie with panoramic views along the river. Outside tables available, and plenty of room inside. We had no problem manoeuvring my wheelchair to our table.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and the menu is varied and reasonably priced. There is a children's menu, including my childhood favourite - fish finger sandwiches!

The hot and cold drinks menu is very extensive. I had a sizeable cappuccino (£2.50), which had a good strong taste and plenty of froth. We both opted for the home made cake with pouring cream (served separately, in a jug), and enjoyed the cranachan and the chocolate cake - both very moist. £3 per serving, and good value.

1  Thank Heather C
NGC_GlassCentre, Manager at The Glass Yard, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our Brasserie. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and found it easily accessible with plenty of room to manoeuvre your wheelchair. We pride ourselves on our service and quality of products we sell. The handmade cakes are very popular and pleased you enjoyed them. We look forward to your return visit. if you wish to keep updated on future events and offers then please visit our website.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We returned to the glass centre for food having not visited for a few months (we used to go every week for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it)
Unfortunately the food has changed but not for the better.
We used to love the sharing platter of seafood and also the meat sharing platter.
I ordered the nearest to that which is now called a taster.
Not much of anything really,even with the addition of potato wedges it wasn't enough even for a lunch.
What a shame, we really loved our walks along the river and then to pop in for food.
Not everything is about cost, we will happily pay more for decent food.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Brasserie. It is a shame that you were dissatisfied with the food that was offered. We do sell the seafood platters, along with anti pasti platters and ploughman's platters. On our old menus they were titled 'sharing platters' but a lot of customers commented that the platters should be available for 1 guest instead of the 2 guests it stated on the menu, so we do offer the platters for 1. We use exactly the same products and portion size that we always have only now we do the platters as individuals if customers ask. Our platters are our best sellers and would not change the quality or quantity of theses platters. I am saddened that you think we have changed them and also changed the name to tasters. I hope you return soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was passing by the national glass centre brasserie and decided to call in it was around three o clock we were seated and given menus I was going to have a snack but upon checking the prices I was shocked to see that plain ordinary cheeseburger is £13 so decided that I wasn’t that hungry instead I ordered spot of tea for one and a coffee for the better half I got a pot of hot water with a tea bag in a packet and my partner got her coffee’ Non of the staff seemed interested in giving us our bill so we went to the counter to pay I told the person behind the counter our table number he rang up the till and I was given a bill for £24 I queried this and the bill was checked I got a revised bill for £4:80 I was happier with this so we paid and left

1  Thank PeterFli

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Brasserie. It is a shame that you thought our cheeseburgers were plain, ordinary and cost £13 The cheeseburgers cost £10.95 and are 8oz gourmet burgers hand made by the chefs in the kitchen and served with relish, salad, onion rings and gastro chips and the chefs use locally sourced produce to make them. I am sure if you had ordered one you would have found it filling and delicious. If you did not wish to pay £10.95 we offer sandwiches and light bites which may have been more suitable if you were looking for a snack. I am saddened that you were dissatisfied with the service we offer. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and apologise if you felt you did not receive the service we are proud of. I do hope you return soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great staff. Cheerful and helpful.
Lovely local produce used in food.
Great view of a working dock which is what the area is famous for.
Just lovely all round.

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our Brasserie. We pride ourselves on our service and are passionate about using locally sourced produce. We look forward to your return visit. If you wish to keep updated regarding future events and offers then please visit our website.