“What a Greek delight”

Ranked #4 of 456 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We are an authentic Greek family run business, we provide a selection of Greek dishes, wines and beers and a great atmosphere. We are a Cafe Bistro Restaurant and provide good home cooked food at a very reasonable price. We also cater for weddings, business lunches, and other such occasions. You won't leave hungry. We do ask for your patience while waiting for your food as everything is cooked from fresh and we are proud of our quality and authenticity.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Visited the Olive Affaire tonight with my husband and 3 yr old daughter . What a little hidden gem it is with beautiful home made Greek food and may I say lots of it. It's a family run business and what a delightful bunch of people nothing was a bother and we were made to feel very welcome . We will be back many time ,if you like Greek food you won't be disappointed. Thanks again Jean.

3  Thank Aimee B

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Me and my husband had lunch here today with our 2year old son. We had the mezze to share between us and what a feast we had. The amount of food you got for the price made it fantastic value and everything we had was clearly homemade and absolutely delicious. The lady who served us was friendly and attentive and the cafe itself is clean and welcoming. We will definitely be back!

2  Thank beccablyth
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Four of us tried this on a Saturday evening (two couples) and although I can't say we didn't enjoy it, I don't think any one of us would rush back!

The first impression I had when we walked in was that we had gone into the wrong place! The greek music was playing but it really is more of a cafe rather than a restaurant, now that could have been just me, but I felt somewhat out of place in my 'going out to dinner' clothes! It really is more of a casual affair eatery.

The food itself was nice, We all went for the mezze which in itself was tasty, the bread and dips, the olives, spanokopita etc however it really wasn't a meal. No sign of vegetables or even a greek salad when our meat course came. Had we realised this we probably would have ordered some side dishes, saying that we all left quite full, just more of a variety was expected.

We tried the greek wine which again was really nice but at £15 per bottle wasn't exactly the cheap caraff's we are used to when holidaying in Greece (which we have done many times) so the bill came in at over £100 which really did seem rather excessive for what we had.

Having said all of that, the food was tasty, the wine was nice and the service was ok but would we go back on a Saturday evening or in fact any evening, then no we would not. Maybe lunchtime snacks are more suited to this place.

2  Thank Emma S
Jean O, Owner at Olive Affaire, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2015

In reply to your review of Olive Affaire, first of all I am glad your friends enjoyed their food and in an attempt to improve my business I take on board everything you have said to make improvements. As this is a late response I will tell you of the improvements that have been made. We are not a restaurant with silver service, we are a Café Bistro and have never claimed to be anything other. We have improved our menu and have never had a bad review since doing so. As for cheap Greek wine, I think that is a little to much to ask for as I have to import the wine and that incurs cost to the business, although our wine is very reasonably priced compared to other places. The chairs, if customers feel uncomfortable customers can ask for a cushion to sit on. As you said there was not much variety in the meze, I don’t think this is the case as it consisted of 11 different dishes at that time. All fresh and all home made. Meze is like tapas and differs from place to place, but I can assure you that you will not find the same quality at our price. All in all, this is a casual eatery with excellent fresh homemade food that can’t be found elsewhere in Sunderland.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was recommended by my son to try the Olive Affair. I went there with two friends to give It a try and we were not disappointed The food was very nice and very good quality. My friend had a starter (beans in a sauce with pita bread) It was large enough to have been a main course and we all had a bit. The main courses were enormous and we all struggled to eat the lot, but because It was so nice we struggled on and ate the lot.
We have booked to go back and we will be regular customers there. The only criticism that I can give is that It was quite cold, and I think that they should invest in a couple of heaters.

3  Thank George C
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Lovely fresh food, had a chicken soulvakis, which was really tasty, however after a half hour wait, even though was only four other customers, I was turning blue due to how cold it was...there was a electric heater but another customer was sat practically on top of it!

2  Thank bigmack123