“Great addition to seafront dining”

Goa Exemplary Indian Cuisine
Ranked #15 of 425 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Great addition to seafront dining”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We tried this as it was new and it is in a fabulous location, looking straight out to sea. I wasn't sure what to expect but from the moment we walked up the stairs, it was superb. The decor looks good and we had a lovely greeting as we walked into the restaurant. The four of us were sat at a table looking out to the view which was perfect. Cobra on draught is good and the menus looked very enticing, with a lot of fish which I will try later. As we were early, we went for the special at £9.95. This wasn't your usual special! It was very fresh and the presentation was brilliant. Very tasty food and the staff were very accommodating in switching things around and bringing little extras. I have to say it is a welcome addition to the seafront and the city. I hope they can keep up the level of service and attention as that plus good food really made the difference. We will be back.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank John D M

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Another fantastic place to eat in Sunderland”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We visited Goa a week after it opened, and so glad I did. We arrived just before 2100 and the place was full, which is always a good sign.

The portions looked really large so we gave the starters a miss and ordered mains, a side dish and nan bread. We went for Goa Mixed Varval ( mixed seafood on Goan Sauce), Lanknawee Thakkali ( a Kerela stew with lamb) and a side of Chana Masala, which was that nice I will have it as a main next time.

All of the food was fantastic, the menu has a lot of dishes not found on most menus in the North East. Service was spot on and the place had a really good atmosphere and the owner was really pleased with the compliments he received too.

The meal was finished with a complimentory liqueur. Goa does a £9.99 special from 1700-1900 for starter, main, rice and nan covering the standard dishes, but I only had "different" dishes so cannot comment on these.

With Goa and Monsoon Kitchen both opening up on the Nortside, the choice in the Town Centre looks very standard now, so I will be travelling over the bridge for the foreseeable future!

• Visited August 2013