“Only Table and Still Messed up.. Twice”
Review of Platform 5 - CLOSED

Platform 5
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife visited today after she had previously enjoyed the venue herself. We were the only table in the whole place and saw about 4 staff.... We were greeted by a waitress and shown to a table. Good start. We ordered drinks, then food when the waitress returned with the drinks. The roast chicken bap -special. Must have been yesterday's Sunday dinner as was dry and could barely be chewed. This was sent back and a ham sandwich with no pease pudding was requested. This took about 10 mins to come out, which was strange for a sandwich. Then when the waitress walked away I discovered it had pease pudding in anyway. She returned and asked if everything was ok and I explained, and told her I would just eat my fries. We shortly finished up and went to pay, no compensation offered just told I've taken the sandwich off the bill. Poor poor food service in a quite attractive venue. Don't think this place knows wat it wants to be. Needs a strong manager to take control. ASAP

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have been to Platform 5 with friends, with family and as a couple and have absolutely loved every visit. We regulary go for Sunday lunch, to listen to the live music at the weekend and to the quiz every Tuesday night.

I can't speak more highly of the venue, the food and the staff.

I class myself as a Platform 5 regular now and I can't wait for the Tea Rooms to open soon!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We are just home from Sunday Lunch at Platform 5.
We had purchased a Living Social voucher for Sunday lunch & a glass of wine and were booked in for 1pm. We handed in the voucher and were shown to the table quickly.
I know the place is designed "Quirky" but the table had heat marks on it and no table cloth, mats etc.
Ordered lunch with soft drinks & a pint and 2 of the party ordered starters, no mention of what wine we would like but thought this might come with the main.
My starter (the mushrooms) tasted ok but were lukewarm and the other starter the Pate, was alright.
2 of the party had turkey (of which, there was plenty) 1 had Belly Pork which was very nice and I went for the beef. Worst choice! 2 x fist size slices with a yorkshire pudding on the top hiding all the horrible fatty bits! By the time these were removed, there was very little. The creamy mash was nice (served under the meat) but they were the strangest looking Roasts I have ever seen, accompanied with Turnip, Carrots, Cabbage and Cauli flower and watery gravy.
Main course finished & Still no sign of the wine! I had asked for another soft drink which failed to turn up (but was charged for!) so asked for the bill. I said that as we wern't offered the wine, could we have the drinks that we had ordered instead? I was told yes we could have the 3 soft drinks but not the pint (although this was probably still cheaper than the wine) the bill came - over £50! I had to make a point of telling them that we had a Living Social voucher (which had only been handed in 45 minutes earlier!) so the bill went back, new bill done, this time with the meals taken off but all the drinks on!! (including the one that was ordered but failed to arrive) So the bill went back for a THIRD time! Eventually got the correct bill for 2 starters & the pint!
I'm normally quite generous with tipping but the service was extremely poor, there were plenty of staff I have to say, but a lot of them were just wandering around not doing much so I'm afraid the bill was settled and not a lot left in the way of a tip.
I'm quite sad the fact that we live walking distance away and this was somewhere else to eat and drink at, but if today's trip there was anything to go by, we won't be coming back anytime soon.

2  Thank JulieRachBeth
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We were in a party of 12 adults and 5 childen visiting this place for the first time. The decor is pretty pleasant being light and airy. But on closer inspection you can see some failings in the quality of the refurbishment such as glue being visible on the false brick work and a bad painting job on the train car. Oh, also the spiders webs hanging from the iron work on the ceiling

Appreciating that our group was of siginificant size, we prebooked. However, we found that they were terribly understaffed with the yound man tending our table clearly rushed of his feet and visibily stressed. We ordered our meals that arrived after about 20 minutes wait. 20 minutes is not unnacceptable by any means, but it is if the order is one meal short!! Yes, they 'forgot' one of our order. We carried on eating with the remaining order arriving some 15 minutes late. Food was acutally pretty decent if you dont count the french fries being undercooked and a bit soggy. Though the portion sizes were very sparce indeed. I am not a big eater but this really was measily.

When the bill arrived the Manager advised us that we had not been charged for the late meal order. However, on inspection of the bill, I noticed items appearing that we had not ordered. On challanging this the waiter admitted their 'mistake' which totalled about £20.

This place has such potential for the area but on this performance they really need to examine their operation. Put it this way, I wont be hurrying back.

1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 17 April 2014

excellent meal well cooked meat and plenty of it .
the veg was also very well cooked and a good selection .
The only thing that let it down for me was it really could have been a bit hotter .
Having said that we would definitely go back again .