“First class pub grub”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“First class pub grub”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I used a Living Social voucher to book this meal, a Sunday dinner and a glass of wine each for me and my husband. I was a bit wary as the outside wasn't the most inviting but the building is undergoing extensive renovation so don't be put off. The restaurant is on the first floor and is really nice inside, quite quirky with the addition of a railway carriage nestling along the back wall. The service was very good, the staff were friendly and helpful, clearly the owners are working hard to make a positive impression. We were shown to a table inside the carriage and drinks were brought promptly. I had a good quality glass of red which makes a change from the usual rubbish I've had with a Groupon or Living Social voucher. I ordered turkey for lunch, my husband ordered pork. I'm pleased to say the portion sizes were good, again I've felt short-changed when I've used vouchers at other places. The food was good, hot and served with fresh vegetables. I also ordered a freshly made strawberry cheesecake which was excellent. All in all a good experience. I will definitely go back.

• Visited June 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I went to platform 5 on a living social deal to give it a try and I wasn't disappointed the deal gave us a main meal and a glass of wine but we added a starter and waited to see if we wanted a desert after the main. The started was chicken liver patie the with toasted bread portion size enough £3-95 the main withe the deal I had the belly pork and my husband had chicken my husband said his was really nice but the mine was to die for only thing too much gray on the plate for me should be on the side but taste delishes. The deserts I went for the crumble that just didn't taste right was sent back twice so went for what my husband had sticky toffee and ice cream delishes again but withe the fist desert been sent back twice they took it off our bill and apologies with concern was said and the staff are great very friendly and the bar restaurant is still having work done but it's looking fabulous but the toilet issue needs sorting out. But I tell you what the dinner is the best I have had in along time would I go back I defently will

1 Thank Sandra G
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Not going back!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I visited today with my husband and two children. As many of the other reviewers we had the living social voucher for Sunday lunch with a glass of wine. We had visited before and found food to be average an service poor but we thought we'd give it another go with the voucher. We were seated quite promptly and told fish and chips wasn't included (it was on the menu an the same price as Sunday lunch). We had a lengthy wait for a drinks order to be taken and another wait for them to arrive. The voucher was meant to include a 175 ml glass of wine, when it came it was significantly less than this about 125 ml. I asked the waitress to bring me the correct amount which after another wait she did.
The restaurant was much too hot both of my children complained and I took them outside, it appeared the only way to keep the restaurant cool was to open the doors, one table was next to one of the doors which meant when someone sat there the door was shut. Many people in the restaurant were too hot and complaining about the temperature. The adult food arrived before the children's, it was a very average Sunday lunch, dry meat and the vegetables we were given to share seemed to be a portion for one (7 carrots and 3 pieces of cabbage) the supervisor heard me say this and asked if we'd like some more, which they did bring but by then we were almost finished our meal.
At the end of the meal I went to speak to the supervisor who seemed irritated and uninterested but said she would get the manager to speak to us.
When he arrived I went through our complaints, he was very defensive, claiming the voucher stated fish and chips wasn't included (I have looked at the fine print and couldn't find this anywhere), didn't make any reference to the poor service, told us we should have asked for more veg and said there was nothing he could do about the heat as customers wanted the door shut. In the height of summer even with the door open I envisage the restaurant temperature will be unbearable.
I asked if there was anyone I could register my complaints with and he claimed he was the owner. It appeared the living social voucher customer were been given small portions and were an inconvenience. At this early stage in the business I would have thought keeping all customers would be paramount. We went for a walk afterwards and myself and my husband were having a bit of a laugh about the whole experience, comparing complaining to the 'owner' to complaining to Basil Faulty! We will never ever visit again! This is such a shame as the location is fantastic but with many other eateries in the area offering better quality cheaper food and much better customer service I can't see Platform 5 being successful!

• Visited June 2014
John G, Public Relations Manager at Platform 5, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
We're sorry to hear that your visit to Platform 5 did not meet your expectations. We thrive to ensure that each customers visit is one of enjoyment in the hope of making them visit us again.

We have been working with Living Social in assisting to promote our venue to a wider audience reach. We can say that Living Social customers, in no way, are treated any different to other customers. We present the whole menu to our Living Social customers so that they can see what we offer and choose to upgrade their menu. Fish and Chips are not included in the pre purchased deal, but they can be purchased for a small surcharge. Meal portions are normally adequate for our customers, but at Platform 5 we encourage you to ask for anything more if you need it. Flowing vegetables and gravy is not a problem.

We hope this issue hasn't put you off again, and we really hope to see you return again soon. If you have any further questions or feedback then please email us at info@platform5bar.co.uk

John Gray
The Pullman, Sunderland
“Sorry. We don't have that either!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous place (still being refurbished). Jus what Seaburn needs. They have an adequate cocktail menu.... till you start ordering. About a third of them could not be made as they didn't have the ingredients! The waitress was lovely. The cocktails were expertly mixed but alas were rather taste free. Quite watery. Too much ice perhaps?
The place started to fill up early evening and I have to say the food looked delicious. Unfortunately we'd eaten at Martinos..... will definitely go back and try the burgers. Maybe not the weak cocktails though!

2 Thank weslepepper
Sorry to hear that we didn't have the ingredients for your cocktails. We are currently changing our cocktail menu and are running old products down. We would love to welcome you back when our new cocktail menu is live. If you could email us at info@platform5bar.co.uk we would love you to come back and try a few from the new menu on us!
Billingham, United Kingdom
“Could be fab with a TLC”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Bought a Living Social voucher for four to eat Sunday lunch and decided to use it to take my Mum and Step-Father with my partner and I last Sunday 18th of May. When we got there we parked up and climbed the stairs at the rear of the building and were greeted by a young woman who had problems finding us on the list of booked guests, I found this strange as I'd called the restaurant that morning to explain that I was having problems with my printer and would it be okay if I made a note of my voucher details and I was assured by the manager that it would be ok. The manager arrived and assured us that a table for us would be found and directed us to a raised table with high-chairs, both my Mum and Step-father are in their 70's so I explained that these type of seats were not really suitable plus I suffer from sciatica so there was not a hope in hell of me climbing up and sitting comfortably in those chairs. To be fair the manager was a cheery chap and he promptly found us another table and we ordered drinks. My mum and I had rose wine, this was included in our voucher we had the boys wine to lol ) The men had a beer and a soft drink, poor Chris was driving. Mum and I decided to have starters, I had the pate and Mum the mushrooms. I thought the prices of the starters were a little steep at £4.00 a go considering the portion size and poor display, no garnish and on tatty looking plates. The mains arrived after about 20 minutes the chicken supreme was sold out at 2pm) so my Step-Father and I had the Turkey. Mum had the Pork and Chris had the Fish & Chips. It was ok, the veg was served in separate dishes but a few little things let it down, firstly the food was warm rather than hot, the Yorkshires were slightly over cooked erring on the side of dark brown rather than golden. Chris found lots of bones in his fish and Mum said her Belly pork was not crispy enough. I think if I'd paid the full price I would have been more upset. The surroundings are nice and quirky but a few more elegant touches were missing, table cloths, matching cutlery (I was given fish cutlery to eat my turkey with) I found the manager charming, friendly and hard working but a lot of his staff were miserable and sloppy in their service. When we presented with the bill I had to send it back as they had charged me for Chris fish & chips even though I had already paid for it on the voucher! The cheery manager sorted this but no apologies were given ??? I will see how the reviews go before I decide to visit again.

• Visited May 2014