“Ideal for my needs, this hotel is located in an ideal location to both The Stadium of Light and Sunderland, nice comfortable, fr”

Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this Premier Inn due to its vicinity to the Stadium of Light, I normally travel back home after football matches but due to Sky TV's lack of any thought for fans and as this was a late kick off, I decided to stay over and drive home the following day. The online booking process was simple (even a football fan like me could use it) once you had selected your needs, arranged payment, you would receive a confirmation within seconds.
On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted by friendly helpful staff who seemed on too eager to please, and I was through the process and off to my room. Just one minor problem here NO LIFT and as someone with a slight disability a bit embarrassing having to bring this up, however I was given a ground floor room instead.
The room was typical layout and quite large, the bathroom was okay in size, and both were light. Although faced onto a car park I never heard a sound
The room was spotless and had the normal fixtures and fittings and like all hotels now NO BISCUITS or decaffinated tea, And the television was rather small for the size of room, the sound was a bit muted meaning I had to turn the volume up to compensate
Air conditioned room that was almost silent and easy to control
I did book breakfast it is something I like when staying at Premier Inns but through my fault missed breakfast so can't comment
This Premier Inn, and it's sister one just down the road are ideally situated close to major roads A1 and A19 and close to the city, as well as the Stadium of Light which apart from the football (allegedly, not much sign that night, don't ask for a review on that) there are rock and pop concerts
Just one issue so small note worth talking about that was the body wash dispenser in the shower was broke, I forgot to tell the reception staff
All in all, I enjoyed my stay, it was a nice welcome change and I might do it at another late night game
I wish I'd not missed breakfast though!
Recommend it? Oh yes!

• Stayed: May 2013
gmsunnw, Manager at Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We do take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel, and the team constantly strive to deliver excellent service at all times. We do look forward to welcoming you back to Sunderland North West in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

This rating is offered on the PREMIER INN ONLY and does not take account of the "add on breakfast, which was AWFUL".

On first arrival we were pleasantly welcomed by the receptionist and checked in very quickly. Our room was very clean and comfortable and looked well cared for. The bed was comfy and the bathroom facility was excellent, although the shower took a little bit of sorting to get the temperature right. All in all, not a single thing to be disappointed about in the hotel.

However ................ Premier have an arrangement with a privately owned establishment next door for breakfast and I have to say it really lets the place down. It is untidy on first glance but if you look a little deeper is quite unclean. We went for breakfast at 0930 (breakfast advertised 7 - 10 so assume we would have been able to sit for breakfast at 0955 and still eat!!). Expecting to be offered a choice, having paid for a full breakfast, we were just told we had ordered the full english, as if to say "and that is what you will have", so we just had that .... we ate our meal. About half way through someone started hoovering the floor making it difficult to have a conversation with our friends then at exactly 10am they cleared everything from the self service buffet. We just managed to grab a second cup of tea before the drinks went, only to be informed 10 minutes later (approximately 1015) that we had to go as they wanted to lock up. To top it all, despite having provided room numbers on entry (how else would they know what we ordered) we were just about frog marched by another member of staff to the entry point and told to wait whilst they checked our rooms again, treating us like criminals as though we had eaten but not paid. Suffice to say, if we stay here again I will be breakfasting at the Sainsbury Superstore across the road.....

Don't let the breakfast put you off the Premier Inn but do go elsewhere for breakfast, even one of the Cafe's in Sunderland or along the beach at Roker/Seaburn ....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LuckyLesley

Thank you very much for your review. We do take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel, and the team constantly strive to deliver excellent service at all times. I have passed on your feedback to the Liberty Browns General Manager and be assured that the standards and service of breakfast, have improved, We do look forward to welcoming you back to Sunderland North West in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed here prior to running the Marathon of the North. Needed it be quiet and comfortable - and it was. Really friendly staff as well, and a decent restaurant next door. Very large room (as we were there as a family of 4). Hugely impressed and the usual very good value. Impressed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Yet again we got the predictable and reliable service that we have come to expect from the Premier Inn and at a bargain price. Lovely staff, immaculate room and comfy beds. And what a bonus being right next to Liberty Brown's restaurant. Lovely evening meal eaten on the first night. There is another Premier Inn just up the road but that one only has a Brewer's Fayre!

Room Tip: I don't suppose it matters which room you sleep in as the hotel is basically in a car park.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

An over nighter to attend a match at Stadium of Light. Very comfortable stay with friendly welcoming staff. Well within walking distance of the stadium. Restaurant on site so breakfast not a problem. Would stay again if attending a match again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We love the Premier Inns because we know from experience that we are going to get very consistent quality and we think it is very good value for money. What distinguished Sunderland North West was the very high level of service from all of the staff. We received a very friendly welcome; we really appreciated the Happy Easter Card in the room; staff were helpful in giving directions, ordering taxis, providing local knowledge, cleaning our room etc etc. The fitted room furnishings were a bit tired, but still all perfectly functional, whilst the beds were really comfortable. The room was too warm for us and we were not successful in trying to turn down the heating, but the window opened readily. However, the service was absolutely exemplary. I have no hesitation in highly commending this Premier Inn to you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 February 2013

This is a well located Premier Inn, The staff were welcoming, the hotel was clean & quiet. The only thing I would say is that the bathroom could do with a facelift. Thay being say £29 for a Saturday night is very reasonable

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Sunderland Marriott Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sunderland
Quality Hotel Boldon
Quality Hotel Boldon
#1 of 1 in West Boldon

Been to Premier Inn Sunderland North West Hotel? Share your experiences!