“Don't go for lunch... go for evening meal!”
Review of Arabesque

Arabesque
Ranked #11 of 425 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Egyptian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Don't go for lunch... go for evening meal!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My friend and I were excited to try this restaurant but made the mistake of going for lunch. There was barely any choice on the lunchtime menu and we were disappointed because we had picked out what we wanted online earlier and none of our choices were on the lunchtime menu. We both had the chicken shawarma wrap and unfortunately it lacked flavour and it reminded us both of drunken takeaway kebabs which is definitely not what we wanted! The halloumi cheese to start was tasty however so there is potential here! We want to return for the full menu on an evening and perhaps relax with cocktails and shisha.

Visited May 2014

“something different”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Four of us visited this restaurant at 6.30 on a Friday evening. It was busy and we had a drink in the bar. We were served promptly and presented with menus which were explained to us by a very nice member of staff. We were helped to decide on our orders and what would be suitable not having eaten there before. We hadn't finished our drinks when we were take to our table downstairs. We had the Queen starter which we struggled to eat as there was so much of it. I agree with previous reviewer that it would serve 6. and at the suggestion of the waitress we kept some of the dips to have with our main courses. I had shish kebab and thought it very like Turkish food. It was all very nice and the staff were pleasant. The bill wasn't too bad at all and there are leaflets on the bar for 10% discount on any further visits. The restaurant emptied quite quickly after happy hour eaters left but further customers did arrive. Our bread was definitely not naan bread as suggested by previous reviewer.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ann G
“Excellent”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

just had lunch there today this is my second visit but the ladies I was with their first visit , we all had starter and main course there was a good choice for lunch menu ,The food was delicious and plenty of it we all did struggle to finish and did not have a desert we all had large cokes and an extra coke for my friend the bill came to £39.00 which is excellent value for money . these actually do takeaway meals and the last Thursday of every month there is belly dancing . if your not into Egyptian food you can have a burger or chicken but the food is not spicy at all but you can ask for it to be spiced to your taste . will be returning soon. The service was really good

• Visited July 2014
Sunderland
“Hitty Missy”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have been a couple of times to this restaurant. The first time was not so clever, we sat ages waiting for our table, and then they ran out of the draft lager I was drinking. The 4 of us were sat on a table typical for two so it was pretty tight, and the food was late. We were just standing up to vacate our table when the food arrived. The food was enjoyable enough without being fantastic. Staff were congregating at a downstairs exit next to the gents, smoking, and I felt that they could have been a bit more discrete. The place was bustling and there was a decent Saturday night atmosphere about the place.
We decided to give the place a second chance.
Our second visit was a midweek birthday celebration and we were attended to from the bar efficiently whilst we chose our food. We were seated upstairs, and again the food was acceptable without being fantastic. There were a couple of belly dancers for our entertainment.
We were served throughout the evening by three or four different servers, and that may explain why the bar bill was missing a good birthday chunk of takings which I forgot to mention when I went to pay the bill !.
Its a bit of a novelty, serves a purpose, and will probably continue to be as popular as it is.

• Visited May 2014
sfax
“Don't be fooled...”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited last night for the first time, chosen mainly because of the excellent reviews on here, all I can say is don't believe any of them, and having re-read them again I am firmly of the belief that they may not be, how should I put this?, "genuine". About as Egyptian as the Taj Mahal, the Queen Meze mentioned in "Carol&Gerard's" review is six different dips with a small bowl of not very fresh salad in the middle, 2 bought in naan breads (spotting a theme here), you think it's enough for 6 people? and you think £13.95 is reasonable? Main course of mixed grill at £16 for 6 pieces of dry tandoori chicken and a shish kebab with a bowl of dry rice, I could go on but wont.

• Visited July 2014