“Regular stays for a reason!”

and 1 more site!
The Balmoral & Terrace Guest Houses
Ranked #9 of 16 Sunderland B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Regular stays for a reason!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Balmoral regularly between 2009 and 2011 but due to work changes rarely go to the North East anymore. I travel all over the country regularly and I have to say, I never looked forward to going anywhere more than the North East, mainly because of this B&B. If I was travelling with my boss or colleague I would make sure they stayed here too. For value for money, it simply cant be beaten. The service is perfect and after a few stays they knew my name, my favourite room and how I liked my breakfast. If the weather is nice, the location is stunning! The breakfast is the best I've had in many hotels and was always fresh and HOT! Cant fault this place, just wish I travelled to the North East as regularly as I once did!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

As an Expat from Canada my daughter and myself recently stayed at the Balmoral for three weeks. We found the accommadations to be quite adequate.The linen was changed every day, the towels were if anything over abundant and replaced every day. there was a flat screen television attached to the wall making for easy watching from in beds which were quite comfortable.We were given a reduction by the owners, which we did not expect because my daughter was in Ireland for four days.
The guest house is wifi which is a boon to guests for keeping in touch with friends and family.
Ive saved the last comment for last, being away from (over"ome) since the mid sixties.I was truly amazed at the care and attention which each and every guest was treated at breakfast.My personal thanks to Paul their super cook Bob their Major domo, Darren the affable,and helpful owner and Victoria the very generous wife and co owner of this establishment. our trip was memorable from beginning to end (missing that fabulous black pudding at breakfast time already)
We would heartily recommend this guest house to anyone.
Cheers John and Patti.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, ON, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Balmoral & Terrace guest house recently (April 2012) & found the location/accommodation was great! The room & linens were changed daily.
We were treated incredibly well & the breakfasts are already sadly missed :(. Thanks to Darren, Paul & Bob. The three men could not do enough & were incredibly helpful with the historical sites/stories within the vicinity. This is so important for visitors that don't know the area....the North East is rich with history.
All in all for a Bed & Breakfast we will definitely return the next time we are in England. Great value for the price of the room.

Room Tip: Warm rooms & great sea front view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
rugby
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We have just spent 6 nights in the hotel and cannot recommend it enough to family and friends. The welcome we received when we arrived was very warm and nothing was too much trouble. The room was very clean and comfortable, towels were changed regually, the room was cleaned every day. The choice at breakfast was very good and nothing was too much trouble. We would definately stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in Sunderland for the weekend to attend a family party. As it was at short notice and at the beginning of the easter holidays, most accomodation was fully booked and the Balmoral was the only place available so we booked it. It was described as 3 star, so we weren't expecting luxury but merely the sort of simple, clean accomodation that I might expect from a travellodge or similarly priced hotel. The guesthouse entrance was newly decorated with a nice clean carpet, so when we were asked to settle up on arrival we gladly paid up, expecting our room to be of equal standard...
How wrong we were...

When we entered our room, the first thing that hit us was the smell: fusty and mouldy. As I looked around it got worse: the skirting boards were coming away from the walls, the carpet was stained in numerous places and my husband and I both stumbled on the uneven sloping floors that gave the impression we were on a ship!

I was desperate for the loo so went to the en suite as soon as I got to the room. Sitting on the toilet I looked around for a toilet roll holder, which didn't exist- instead a roll was sitting on the windowsill, which I stretched to reach and was surprised to notice that the toilet bowl moved as it wasn't properly attached to the floor. The rest of the bathroom wasn't great either- the windowsill had paint peeling off it and the shower was covered in black mould. We were only provided with one bath towel and a couple of hand towels, which I'm sure we're originally white but now worn, holey and grey with the odd brown stain. Even the toilet brush was dirty and covered in toilet roll.

The bed itself, although it did have clean sheets was otherwise filthy. The valance appeared not to have been washed for years and the mattress was covered in a noisy plastic incontinence sheet complete with pubic hairs. The mattress was well past it's best with lumpy protruding springs and the pillows were flat as pancakes and smelled sweaty.

I immediately decided to seek other accomodation as the thought of sleeping here made my skin crawl and my husband left to trawl the other local b&bs that night. Unfortunately no other rooms were available, so we tried our best to make the bed comfortable for the nights we were there by using the duvets from the single beds on top of the mattress to avoid the lumps.

It was already dark when we arrived the night before so we didn't think to look for the 'sea view' that we'd paid for, and on waking the next morning by this time we weren't surprised that the view was instead of a dirty white painted wall of the adjacent building. Even if we had been facing the right direction, I'd have had a very hazy view through the dirty window.

I understand that people have different opinions of what a good standard of cleanliness should be and I'll admit that my standards are high, although I've never stayed at a hotel or guesthouse that I've not found comfortable. We were told that the B&B was being looked after by a friend of the owners for the week, so I'd be inclined to give the owners the benefit of the doubt if there weren't so many blatant examples of poor upkeep and cleanliness over a much longer period than a week. The thickness of dust on the lampshades, tv and in the wardrobe alone must have taken a couple of months to build up if not more. On my arrival home I asked my son to check out the Balmoral online and I was genuinely surprised to find that there had only been positive reviews. The guesthouse owners certainly have a lot to answer for as I feel the room I stayed in last weekend was not fit for purpose or worth the money we paid. I didn't bother bringing this to the attention of management at the time due to the sheer number of faults and also as I knew that it was a friend of the owners in charge and didn't want to embarrass him when I'm sure he had little power to help.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
6 Thank Gemma B
Victoria1974_11, Owner at The Balmoral & Terrace Guest Houses, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Well, where do I start! This is not a review, this is an essay. First of all, I find it very strange you would ask your Son to check reviews after your stay and not before. If cleanliness and comfort where as high priority as you make out then I would be inclined to find out what other peoples views were before I left the house, not when I returned. Our policy is to pay on arrival, so irregardless of you liking the hallway, had you not paid then you would not have got the room. You say you paid for a sea-view??? This is totally un-true. We only have Four poster rooms with sea-views, £60.00 including breakfast. Were you expecting a four poster bed? No, you were not! You paid £48.00 including breakfast, with no sea view as we do not have one for £48.00. Potential guests can see this on our website. As our guest house was built in the 1800s there may be imperfections in the flooring here and there, nothing to speak of and you certainly don't feel like your aboard the titanic. I have made my own enquiry's regarding availability of rooms the weekend you stayed and there were many hotels and guest houses in the area which did in fact have rooms. South shields is not far along the road and they also did. If our guest house made your skin crawl why did you stay? You did not complain once, all weekend, even regarding the sea view that you thought you had paid for? You could not offend Bob, (Our Friend as you put it), over this! I could not stay anywhere if it made my skin crawl, I would rather go back home if it was as bad as you say. I would complain to whoever was on duty at the time, but you did not for fear of hurting there feelings. Considering you have never met before I find this utter rubbish. Your standards are so high you decided to ignore all of the no smoking signs through out the building and on you bedroom door? The room stunk of smoke on your departure, having been informed by my cleaners and Bob. To potential guests reading this review, we have recently undergone a major re-furbishment program, and have decorated most of our rooms to a very high standard with new en-suites and carpets and flat plasma t.vs. The room in question is a room which was decorated a couple of years ago with new carpets and en-suite.(No flat plasma at the moment) It is still a nicely decorated, clean warm room and is not on the list to be refurbished in the near future. If I thought it was in need of it it would be done. I have not got the time to answer each of this ladys points, nor can I be bothered to. If you read other reviews on this site and many other sites you will then get a true representation of our home.
Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed here just short of two weeks,the hospitality was brilliant,very clean and comfortable lovely breakfast, Darren and Victoria are very helpful and friendly, they even helped us find a local doctor. all the staff and Bob were lovely. no problems parking,the views from the terrace are stunning,we would recomend this guest house without hesitation it is in a ideal location.

Seaham
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We have just returned home from an overnight stay here and I can honestly say, this is a lovely place to stay. The owners were really friendly and helpful. We stayed in a double room with a four poster bed, the room was clean, cosy and everything you would need in a B&B. Breakfast was gorgeous, a nice full english with tea, toast and orange juice. My Husband booked this stay on the internet and we even had a bottle of wine waiting for us on our arrival. We wanted somewhere different to go for a night out which was easy to get to using public transport, and this was perfect. Thanks so much to the owners, we had a great night, very relaxed and refreshed.

Room Tip: Book a room with a four poster bed, they are really comfortable.