“Real shame - you will find much better elsewhere”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Hertfordshire Spa
Herts
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Real shame - you will find much better elsewhere”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have lived in area for 17 years, visited the pool, physio, golf and restaurant many times with no problems. I was given birthday vouchers for a facial, pedicure and manicure. I agree with previous reviewers- the service is very functional and does not feel luxury; you are not made to feel special and there is not enough care taken over client interaction and the service provided. I too was the only person there on all three occasions- which i liked. Problems included:- therapist sniffing with a cold all way through pedicure, pulling me in uncomfortable positions for treatment- despite me saying I had problems,talking on the phone through most of my treatment, no health consultation taken (I am surprised their insurance covers them without that??), manicure polish did not last a week and preparation ruined surface of my nails, putting hands in the plastic bag mitts made the skin peel between my fingers. I gave extra star because my facial therapist was considerate...and i felt sorry for her. I would not waste your money here and I will not being going back either.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank JHugHerts

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disgraceful ”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My sister in law to be and I booked in for a Fake Ban tan and 'Pure Indulgence' pedicure prior to our holiday this month. The cost of the tan was £20 each and the pedicure £32 each... We got to the salon which was fairly pretty, but very tired and not entirely clean looking and greeted by someone who looked like she had better things to do with her day than to serve us.

The salon was completely empty other than us, (I now know why), but we were taken to sit down and then left without any information or courtesy drinks for 10 minutes.

Two therapists appeared, but I was seen to first and told that they would do my pedicure first.. Why we were done separately is still a
Mystery..

The pedicure has to be the worst example of a pedicure I have ever had the displeasure to receive. Bearing in mind it was labelled as 'pure indulgence' I expected exactly that, and not the ten minute over all experience I got.

I had a buff with a used file, a soak in water that was two hot, a quick rub with an unlabelled exofoliator, a rinse, a rub over with unlabelled moisturiser and finally two coats of
Primer and a top coat. I was quite horrified with how my feet were dealt with. The 'treatment' wasn't even 10mins long.

Initially when we enquired we asked if they did gel nails to ensure we didn't have the hassle of re-painting our nails whilst away. They told us they didn't do gels and that their finish would last a month anyway.. All untruths. The fact is, I'd give myself a better treatment in preparation for the beauty salon the day before..

I wish I could say the experience ended there. It didn't. Before the therapist applied my top coat colour she told me it was time for my tan... So off I went to a room where I was asked to strip down to my underwear. The therapist did leave me to do this in peace. And asked me to step in to the booth once I was ready..

As soon as I looked in the booth I was concerned the floor was covered with a layer of Beauty bed tissue. Same stuff they use on hospital beds etc... It occurred to me that this was a little strange as surely it should be ready for my use.. Well, the therapist re-appeared and asked me to step on the tissue and that whatever I did I must not stand anywhere but the tissue..

You can imagine, I now realised this was because the booth
Had not been cleaned from previous tanner and the tissue was there to 'protect' my feet.

The tissue got wet with the tan that was badly and unevenly applied to my body and you guessed it my feet touched the floor and tan started working its magic on the base of my feet..

I aired my alarm to the therapist and she just simply smirked and said 'I did tell you to stand on the tissue' with that said and this 'tan' complete I was left to blow dry myself and advised to dress and return to room when ready.

I returned to the room to find my sister in law having the identical experience to me.. We both got out top coat. Paid and then hastily left the building.

Over the hrs the tan developed and left me with green black and brown feet. I literally looked like I'd been walking bare foot for days in muddy fields. Bearing in mind we spent over £100 to make ourselves feel good we came away feeling scarred and ripped off.

I ended up having to go to another salon and paying £35 to recover my feet to something natural looking at another salon..

I left the nail varnish as they said it would last, but that peeled on the 3rd day of my holiday.

The tan was so streaky and uneven that I exfoliated it all away as I felt
Like I looked disgusting.

Please don't make the mistake I made and attend this salon. I am composing a complaint letter and will advise on here what response is given. As far as I'm concerned, a full refund will only go some of the way to recover from this truly bad salon. I will never ever ever go there for any reason again as long as I live and breath..

3 Thank Deborah B
Enfield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Expensive yet poor facilities.. Never again”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I took my friend for her birthday as a treat, she is pregnant so a spa day was ideal. The website describes itself as 'the perfect haven for relaxation, rejuvenation and pampering, at an affordable price'.

Believe me, it's not.

Pulling into the grounds, it looked beautiful but on the inside... it's a different story. Stained old carpets, and the smell of Chlorine when walking through the front door.

Expectations were quite high after reading how 'great' they were on their website and receiving extortionate prices when booking - £45 for a facial, is this facial made of gold?

After climbing the stairs to find the 'spa' we fell upon a small doorway. Let me confirm to you, this is no spa. It is a beauty treatment business within the grounds. They have about 3 treatment rooms, small by all means. The staff were miserable, bar one.

We were there already, so we thought we'd still give it a try. Big mistake.

We booked in to confirm our treatments (1 facial, 1 massage) and was told the pool was downstairs (if only the receptionist told us this in the first place when walking through the front doors, my friend is pregnant. We happily got changed and ready for a peaceful swim and relaxation before our treatments. Again, wrong, very wrong.

The pool was filled with a children's swimming lesson. The pool is not big, to say the least. The only positive thing I can say was it was warm. We spent an hour in the pool, being splashed and knocked about before retreating to get changed. Funny, it wasn't advertised as a leisure centre.

So, back up the stairs to the 'spa', it couldnt get any worse surely...

Again, wrong. The massage was aggressive, no care or attention. I haven't felt so much pain before and it continued throughout. Also, as much as the masseuse was lovely, I'm paying £35 for this massage, I did want peace.Outcome: a worse back than I started.

The facial - well, plain and simple... they shouldn't be allowed to give them. Having blasted steam in my friends face for 20 mins, she fainted and was handed water. If a pregnant woman cannot go in a steam/sauna what made them think steam to the face would be any less problematic... There was no warning of this prior.

We were very quick to pay and get out of there.

This is the most expensive... terrible place I have been to. Save your money!!

Visited March 2014