“Overpriced and very disappointing.”

The Plough Inn at Brackenfield
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Alfreton
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Crich, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and very disappointing.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I recently had a meal at The Plough with my friend and I was really looking forward to it after seeing all the great reviews on tripadvisor. However we were extremely disappointed with the meal, the food was overpriced and the portions were miniscule. We went home feeling hungry after paying £55 for a starter and a main each and one small glass of wine and a pint of beer. I had a goats cheese salad for a starter, it was supposed to be grilled but it was a small mound of creamy goats cheese on a tiny square of toast, it was supposed to come with pickled beetroot but instead came with some brown chutney, it was gone in 3 bites and not worth the £7 paid. I had rump of lamb for my main course, it was a very small piece of lamb, although it was tender, it was cold, under seasoned and cooked through. the waitress didnt ask how I would like it cooked, I should have mentioned that I like it pink. There were 5 green beans on the plate and a small square of dauphinoise potato. The tiny drizzle of red wine jus was lost on the plate and the lamb was bland without any sauce to put on it. It wasnt worth the £15 paid.My friend had a prawn cocktail for a starter which again was very small and not worth the £6.50 paid, the prawns were small and the sauce quite tasteless. My friend had a fillet steak for his main, it wasnt on the menu but our waitress was kind enough to ask the chief if he had any steaks, and luckily he did. My friend asked for the steak to be served with peppercorn sauce, but when it arrived it had a red wine jus, my friend pointed out the mistake to the waitress, the steak disappeared in the kitchen and came back again with the jus removed, and a little jug of peppercorn sauce. My friend said the steak was tender but he was disappointed that he only got one roast potato with it. He was expecting it to be served with chips, and a grilled tomato instead. He said it wasnt worth the £20 paid. We had a small dish of vegetables to accompany our food but they were underseasoned and not very appealing. We both went home feeling a bit ripped off and still hungry. Also the menus were very confusing, there were four to choose from, the waitress presented us with four heavy boards to look at, I didnt realise the lunch menu was still available at 5pm or I would have ordered from that. We enjoyed the homemade bread and the pub and surroundings were lovely. I would perhaps call again for lunch and order from the set menu which seems good value but we felt our dinner meal was a complete waste of money and not worth the £55 paid.

• Visited August 2014

Christchurch, New Zealand
“Lovely food in a wonderful location”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Searched the area for a restaurant still serving quite late on a Friday evening and was very happy to find The Plough Inn open and welcoming. The Inn was in a picturesque location and would be very pleasant during the day in the garden. The interior was nicely decorated and cosy. Enjoyed a delicious steak and lamb mains and nice wine. The service was great. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2014
Essex
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We came here on Friday night and it wasn't very busy which was good for us as we hadn't booked and were served quickly. The homemade bread rolls were delicious while we waited for our mains. My chicken was beautifully cooked and my partner had smoked haddock although he wanted the smoked cod but it was not available. The vegetables served separately were very good. Choice of puddings was shown on the portable blackboards and we opted to share the cheese platter. We couldn't decide on which cheeses so we asked for a little of all 7 which worked really well and were very good. The service was great and all with a smile. Very handy for as as we were staying down the road in the B&B and we will return.

Derbyshire England
“Wow, what a fab place”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having read a great review in the local newspaper, we decided to give this a visit. We visited on Saturday evening without a booking so had a table in the bar area.

Staff were very polite and courteous. Drinks were orders at the bar but brought to the table along with the standard menus and the daily specials board which appears to be seasonal. All food locally sourced and plenty of choice. Menu is slightly higher priced than the usual 'order by table number' but well worth it!!!!! Had quite a wait for food but it is all cooked to order and well worth the wait. The steak was cooked to perfection as was the lamb and although not much choice on the children's menu(this is my only complaint), the home main chips with a sprinkling of sea salt were heaven. Side dish of steamed vegetables which came with the meal were tasty and piping hot.

Dessert menu is not extensive but the gooey chocolate pudding and the apple and blueberry crumble were definitely home made.

All in all, a very pleasant experience, fantastic food and well worth the money.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our first visit, and hopefully not our last if and when we visit the area again. The staff and the service was top class. The food was excellent - spoilt for choice. The plaice was delicious and the vegetables complimented it perfectly. The Bakewell tart with custard was also delicious - the best I have ever tasted. Will definitely eat there again if we are near. Highly recommended. Superb all round.

2 Thank marple5