“Milking Parlour Grande”
other travellers have booked this property
The Dinning Area The Bathroom
The Bedroom
The Kitchen
1st floor 3d plan
Ground floor 3d plan
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

maggiecar...
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Milking Parlour Grande”
Reviewed 31 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017

Excellent accommodation for my extended family celebration. Visiting the animals and collecting eggs from the chickens a special treat for the children. BBQ area well organised, sports field for game of football, then hot tub for relaxation perfect! I would highly recommend this holiday venue to friends.

Your age range 65+
Jet669384
“Mr”
Reviewed 7 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Stayed here in August with a group for friends consisting of 15 adults and 5 children under 5.
An absolutely stunning property, very professionally run with a very accommodating and friendly service. Rooms were very clean and decent sizes. The main open plan lounge/dining/ kitchen area was very spacious and made a pleasure of sitting down together for dinner at the end of the day. The kids loved it and perfect for large family groups especially with the playground on the grounds.

Em5752
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Amazing place ”
Reviewed 30 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed in the old milking parlour grande as a group of 19 including kids for a friends 40th birthday.

The property is beautiful, decorated to a very high standard and a kitchen equipped with every utensil you could think of!!

Huge dining table which was great to accommodate our large party for meals!

Each bedroom had its own on suite bathroom but there was also an additional toilet and bathroom.

The whole place was spotlessly clean and rooms very comfortable.

Farmer Vic the owner was wonderful, he took the kids on a guided tour of his farmyard, let them feed the animals and even sent them all a laminated certificate when we got home!! They absolutely loved it.

Also a lovely park on site with lots to play on.

Would highly recommend and would definitely stay again

neilmagso...
Healing, United Kingdom
“Not so comfortable for a large group.”
Reviewed 29 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

I have been part of a family group that gets together every year, usually at a large rental home, to socialise together for a weekend. The group on average consists of about 20 people. This is the fifth such year we have gone away for a weekend together.

Firstly I would comment that the Old Milking Parlour Grande is a nice old looking farm building which has been converted into accomodation. Clearly the conversion has been done to a very high standard. The decoration and furnishings are all to a high standard. The premises were clean and tidy.

There are BBQ facilities, a mini football pitch and a children's play area and again all were to a very good standard. We used the BBQ and kids from our group had a great time in the play area. There was the option meeting some of the farm animals but we did not take up this offer for no other reason than we had other plans.

The factors that brought the quality of our stay down were around the numbers of people within our group. On the rental websites the accommodation is offered as being suitable for such large groups.

There is a courtyard where the door to the premises is located. This is fenced off to provide a secure area to sit and relax outside. This would have been great but for the fact there was just one table and four chairs for a party of 20. The floor was tree bark and not comfortable for anyone to sit on the floor. A couple more tables with a few more chairs would have fixed the problem.

The living room, kitchen and dining room are all communal and are located upstairs. To be fair we knew this when the premises were booked but the actual practicalities of this presented a few challenges. The outside temperatures over the weekend were in the 20's. Inside however with 20 people assembled and cooking taking place the place was unbearably hot. The sash style windows for safety reasons only opened about two or three inches and provided little relief. The heat combined with the fact this was the only communal area left tempers a little frayed with nowhere really to go and cool down apart from outside which when it was raining (as it did one night) was not practical either. It felt that we were all in each others pockets. For such a large group just the one communal area just did not feel adequate.

And I cannot stress enough the need for air-conditioning in this particular unit.

My partner and I shared a bedroom which contained a double bed. Describing this as a double bedroom is perhaps a tad of an exaggeration. There was barely a foot either side of the bed. The wardrobe was oddly situated and partly obscured the television from one side of the bed. The ensuite was very small and the only way it could work was with bi fold doors which were installed. It could not have worked with a normal door the space was that tight. I myself am 6"3 and the only place I could stand to get dressed was within a metre square space at the main room door itself. There were no bedside lamps which would have made the room more comfortable. I would say that the furnishings within the room itself were like everywhere else to a very good standard.

My overriding impression was that the rooms and numbers the accommodation could take comfortably are over assessed. The room we were in would have made a great single room and a single guest staying in that room would have found it very comfortable but it felt like a double bed had been crammed in there to increase the possible occupancy and therefore the income with not so much regard to the comfort of those staying there.

More concentration on the comfort and practicalities along with air conditioning and a more realistic assessment of the numbers who can stay there comfortably would make this an absolutely great place to stay but as it stands for such a large group well..... NOT SO MUCH.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The BBQ and children play area.
Liked least: Lack of space and lack of air con.
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
9 Sep 2016
I am grateful to you for taking time to give your review of The Milking Parlour Grande and for your comments on decoration of the site especially the layout of Oakerthorpe Holiday Village and I am pleased that you approve likewise our choice of decor.
Dealing with other matters I apologize for the lack of seating which is being rectified but I would point out that within the grounds the playpark offers ample seating with the area being large enough for a party of your size, having said that I take your point and extra seating has been ordered.
As regards the uncomfortable temperature I can again sympathize and am at present in the throws of overcoming the problem and I assure you I will. I would point out that as the Grande only opened for business in December 2015 this is a teething trouble I will overcome albeit an unexpected one although as the building is fully underfloor heated which is all controlled by computer, so note no draughty cold barn conversion here, it also has 21st century insulation which I suspect is some of the problem, keeping the heat locked in.
The bedroom size you commented that you felt was a tad small. I would point out a plan is online giving you all the bedroom sizes perhaps with your lofty 6'3" you should have chosen a larger room. I would mention that the property is also grade 2 listed and I had to work within the constraints of the local conservation officers but I again sympathize with your dilemma.
I would also recommend that interested parties should read September 2016 issue of Derbyshire Life magazine which will be available online free in October 2016 you will see that I strive to provide the best holiday experience I can, so if I need to make improvements, then I will.
Vic Fell
Owner
Geognerd
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, needs a few tweaks. ”
Reviewed 29 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016

We stayed for the bank holiday weekend in a group of 22 people. The place itself was lovely, the furnishings, facilities and decoration was top notch. The area is superb and just screams UK countryside and is very accessible being only 10 minutes from the motorway.

The main issue was the heat..... With 22 people the upstairs was almost unbearable at some points especially after cooking. 3 ceiling fans would really help here to make it more comfortable. Also, sleeps 24 but only outside seating for 4 people...... Not sure who did the maths there. Also, it would be handy to have a BBQ in the courtyard as carrying tables etc out to the front of the house is a bit of a faff. For those sleeping downstairs in rooms 2 and 3 be warned that if people are up early you can hear everything upstairs, walking, talking, banging; you name it it could be heard. Also, there is a train line very close which can be loud at times with windows open.

All in all, a lovely place but the heat was a big issue.

Management Response
9 Sep 2016
Many thanks for your comments. I can only say that the full site has only been open since December 2015 and the overheating is a problem did not expect but I assure you it will be sorted 100%. Extra garden furniture has been ordered.
I have designed a designated BBQ area for Health and Safety reasons and because of the distance I will be supplying a trolley for the transport of all necessary items. This BBQ area is to be floodlit which will mean that a summers evening could be extended into the night without intruding on other guests.
I have to thank you for the warning about bedroom 2 and 3 being noisy - I looked into this and the problem will be rectified between 19th -23rd September 2016 when the property is next empty.
Vic Fell
Owner
Sally B
york
“Excellent accommodation - I would highly recommend”
Reviewed 24 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed here for a 70th birthday weekend with extended family and friends. The accommodation was in a great location and was very well equipped to a high standard. Everything was considered. The beds and bedding were very comfortable, the kitchen had everything you needed and Farmer Vic taking our children to pet the animals on Sunday morning was a lovely touch. The play park was great for the kids and we enjoyed days out at Matlock Bath and Chatsworth House. We would definitely return.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing