I’ve stayed at the Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France outside of Paris, and loved it, so I was looking forward to my second stay at a Marriott in France.
We had difficulty finding this hotel due to construction, the hotel had directional signs marked on the street, but the route was closed due to construction and the GPS was confused by the narrow, winding streets. When we finally arrived around 9:00pm I had to wait a while without any acknowledgement of aid forthcoming while two receptionists helped another customer. Thereafter, any contact with the front desk seemed to require two people working together to assist customers, making the reception/concierge line slow, especially when the staff seemed to prefer to address the people who pushed their way to the front rather than wait their turn. A few of the receptionists did seem helpful, but others were less so.
We stayed in a Sea view one bedroom suite with a king bed, sofa bed, and balcony on the 10th floor. We paid €399 for one night plus €19 for an additional roll-away and used 30,000 Marriott Reward Points plus €100 for the second night. We also had to pay to park the car. Everything was clean and in good condition.
The view from the room was fine, really couldn’t see the surrounding coastline, just the marina directly to the front and the buildings to the left. The buildings were VERY close, close enough to see what the fellow in one of the units in the next building over was having for dinner, and to see laundry drying on some of the balconies.
The location was convenient. We like to walk, so the walk to Monaco was easy. And the little beach is very close also.
First night we ordered room service and it was good and reasonably priced.
Throughout our stay we constantly had staff knocking on the door, trying to deliver other guests’ luggage to our room, or asking fix something that wasn’t broken. It might have been amusing if it weren’t so annoying.
On our second day, we were locked out of our room, which meant returning to the front desk and waiting in line, waiting while the desk staff helped the people who jumped the line, and finally getting the key issue resolved. I was disappointed to enter the room and find that it had not been cleaned. We had been out for about 8 hours in the middle of the day, plenty of time to for the housekeeping staff to clean. Rather than having a confusing, two language phone conversation, I returned to the front desk, waited in line again, and asked if we could at least get clean towels and soap. The soap and towels were delivered to our room. Meanwhile, my husband decided to take a rest. As he was resting, a maid came to the door wanting to clean the room; I told her my husband was sleeping. She asked if he could get up and leave so she could clean the room. I told her that we would soon be going to dinner and the room could be cleaned then. When we returned from dinner, the “cleaning” consisted of making the most sloppy bed I have ever seen in a hotel, sheets drooping on the ground, and a few chocolates on the bed, noting else seemed to have been cleaned. I’m assuming the lack of service was because we used Marriott reward points for our second night’s stay.
I am usually a big fan of Marriott, but I really didn’t feel as rewarded as I had hoped thanks to lack of service at this hotel. Not sure that I would return to this Marriott.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casting a serene reflection upon the Cap d'Ail harbor on France's Cote d'Azur, the Riviera Marriott La Porte de Monaco captures the spirit of Monaco. It's a magical place, where you can lose yourself in its fragrant breezes, profound beauty and international allure. As one of the premier hotels in Monaco, you'll be introduced to a superior level of service and amenities. Elegantly appointed accommodations beautifully blend extraordinary comfort with welcome features such as high-speed Internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Riviera La Porte De Monaco Hotel Cap d`Ail
- Cap d Ail Marriott
- Marriott Cap D'ail
- Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte De Monaco France/French Riviera - Cote D'Azur