“Great weekend”
Review of Hotel de Monaco

Hotel de Monaco
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Cap d'Ail
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We just returned to Paris after spending a wonderful weekend in Cap d'ail at the Hotel de Monaco. It's a charming hotel with a great location just up the hill from a fantastic running/walking path along the ocean that goes all the way into Monaco. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and nicely decorated, and it just has a great vibe. It would be perfect to rent out the whole place for a wedding, family reunion or other special occassion. We will definitely stay here on our next trip down in the fall. In fact, we're looking forward to it!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank nmoe

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I am on my way back from the airport now and felt like I should spend my taxi ride home saying a BIG thankyou to Roberto and his team for really making my 4 night stay in Hotel de Monaco! I was travelling on my own for a relaxing few days in the sun with my books and some good food. As a female on my own I felt totally at ease in the hotel which has the ability to make you feel like you have been invited to an acquaintance's Villa for a break. While the hotel had no restaurant that was not a drawback as it forced me to hop on the 100 bus (for €1 !) to monte Carlo, which is only 10mins away, for dinner overlooking the sea in one if their great restaurants. Roberto couldn't have been more helpful and I always enjoyed my glass of wine in the hotel's garden before going to bed. Great value, amazing location between Nice and Monaco. Should be #1 on trip advisor in Cap D'Ail.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 13 November 2009

This is a truly beautiful hotel.... a haven. Many small, so called 'boutique hotels' could learn an awful lot with a quick visit to the Hotel de Monaco. It is all incredibly simple, yet incredibly stylish. The breakfast is continental and there is no restaurant or room service (Sebastian of the front desk makes a lovely coffee if needed), but there are so many places to eat nearby in Monaco that you do not feel deprived. This is somewhere to rest and enjoy. The beach is a few minutes walk away and that in itself is a very pleasant experience. This is not the place to go if you have children as I do, or are perhaps elderly or disabled, as there is no lift to the floors of which there are 3. If you want style, cleanliness and a peaceful nights sleep then this is the place for you. I loved it and I am super fussy!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2009

There are many positive points about Hotel de Monaco, and for the rates quoted I must agree that it does more than deliver quality wise as most decent hotels around Cap d'Ail/Monaco are quite a bit more expensive. I stayed in a single room, which was more of a place to sleep than spend time relaxing in. Also, the breakfast they serve in the main dining are around reception was lovely.

What primarily prompted me to comment on the hotel is one of the former reviewer who indeed gave a fair account of the management. The husband/wife team owning Hotel de Monaco did give a mixed impression. David was quite rude upon check-out, but it seemed more to be a part of his personality than a conscious attempt. A shame, since my impression other wise was very positive.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mantelstone
Reviewed 11 May 2007

Read some wonderful things on trip advisor about the hotel and was quite taken by the website. Later, it turned out a friend had stayed as well, and more praise was showered. Fortunately there was availability and the owner/manager David was very prompt with e-mails as well as directions to the hotel and other questions on the region. It is this personal attention that makes the Hotel de Monaco a stand out place to stay! It is a small property with a big heart. I was travelling with my mother, and as I had requested got a room on the first level, involving the least number of stairs. The room was smallish (especially the bathroom) but cozy and the bed was comfortable. Gladys outdoes herself at breakfast and the intimate setting always leads to conversations with others on sojourns. For older people without cars do watch out for the uphill climbs to the hotel from the beach and from the hotel to the main street, and the dearth of taxis on weekends (in an supremely generous gesture one of the staff at a Cap D'Ail cafe ended up giving us a ride to Monte Carlo..and people say the French are inhospitable!) Will certainly return to the charming town and to the Hotel de Monaco.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank shibaniwrites
Reviewed 15 October 2006

The Hotel de Monaco is more like an extremely chic and upmarket b and b than a hotel. The service is marvellous and very personal. The Bryans are absolutely charming and we were made to feel most welcome the moment we arrived. True, the shower room was rather small, but there was a proper, comfortable bed and breakfast was outstanding. And it only cost around £100 sterling for the night which is exceptional value in that part of the world. The rooms on the front are a little noisy - usual mopeds, that sort of thing - but generally this is a very sweet establishment that deserves wider recognition.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank britripper1
Reviewed 12 July 2006

Wow! This hotel is great. I have just returned from a long weekend with 6 girlfriends and we all thought the hotel was amazing. Exceeded our expectations on every level. All areas of the hotel were spotless. The terrace at the back is lovely. We enjoyed lots of drinks here,either after the beach or pre-dinner.The hosts go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. On two nights we were there they recommended two excellent resturants- one in cap d`ail down by the water- le pinede, the other quai des artistes in monaco-both were great. Breakfast at hotel de monaco is spot on. Lots of nice bread and croissant, fresh fruit, cereal and a choice of eggs.
Plage mala the local beach is lovely. Its a 10 min walk ( all down hill on way there....all up hill on the way back!) sunlounges are pricey on the weekend (20 euro) but well worth it. Cap D`Ail is so so pretty. Whilst we were there we were already planning our return trip!! thank you for a fantastic weekend. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank torduffield
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cap d'Ail
1 mi away
#1 of 10 in Monte-Carlo
Edmond's Hotel
Edmond's Hotel
#3 of 8 in Cap d'Ail

Been to Hotel de Monaco? Share your experiences!