“If you like ants in your jam then this is the place for you”

St. Julian's Bay Hotel
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“If you like ants in your jam then this is the place for you”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Except from a hostel i stayed where the stairs collapsed this is the worst place I have stayed.
Positives were the location and price.
Negatives were stains all over beds, food was infested, balcony unsafe, no hot water and noisy rooms with no view.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
aussie in london
Reviewed 1 January 2011

my friend and i stayed 11 nights at this hotel as it was cheaper than staying in london. i read the reviews and was apprehensive about staying here but was pleasantly surprised. we were on a half board package deal so breakfast and dinner were included every day. breakfast wasn't anything fancy, typically eastern european, cold meats, hard boiled eggs, cereal, toast, rolls etc, but dinner was at L'Ordine restaurant at the front of the hotel. the food here was nothing short of amazing. 3 courses with something different on the menu every night, fresh ingredients, homemade desserts, i always looked forward to dinner. apparently dinner was usually a buffet in the hotel but for a week it was in L'Ordine. speaking to the manager of the restaurant, he said he's taking over the food in the hotel soon.
the room looked good but the beds were extremely uncomfortable after a week, the mattresses really need replacing. the bathroom was nice but the shower was missing part of the door and there was no water pressure, it was like a dribble but enough to wash anyway. there were complimentary toiletries but we were never given anymore. room was cleaned everyday and our sheets were changed maybe twice during our stay. there was only 1 english channel on the tv (BBC).
the hotel is in a really good location, the bus stops are really close and it's easy to walk to st julain's, paceville and sliema,

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank SallyJ2810
Nykoping, Sweden
Reviewed 10 December 2010

want god food and a god stay? hotel st julians bay is a clean and friendly stay for you. the food in hotel resturant L Ordine is exilent.Traffic outside is ok when you axcept that you have ewerything you need in near. Need silence ask for room on backside. Malta is a beutiful place to be in.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 3 November 2010

In the touristy area of St Julians,this 3 star hotel is centrally located.3 minutes walking distance from the beautiful beach with palm trees.Also across the street are all the hot clubs of Malta.
Low cost hotel,which was satisfying,but no facilities provided.Poor breakfast,but very quiet rooms.Would book again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Arrived at hotel on a Saturday to be told I was at the wrong hotel but I could share a room with my friend as it 'should be sorted Monday'. I was told they would contact the other hotel to let them know I arrived and the transfer should be no problem.Checked in with reception Monday morn & told not to worry and if I rang SMS rep(booked through travelrepublic) everything would be organised for transfer as they had spoken to a representative from there but I needed to clarify a few details.Later that evening,got a phone-call from reception asking me to go downstairs to be told I would have to leave immediately & pay for the 2 nights stay.Confused & upset, my friends argued that it was on the hotels advise I had stayed at their hotel in the first place. I was allowed stay until further contact could be made with the other hotel and SMS rep.We had a wedding on Tuesday but just getting onto bus to go to the church I was told by SMS rep that the only refund I was entitled before midday Wed was €22 and when I asked if my room was still available in the other hotel the rep said my room was still live on their site. As this special day was about a wonderful couple getting married,I had to put it all aside&enjoyed the day, wedding reception was not at St.Julians Bay Hotel.The following day,2 of us went to the original hotel booked(Alexandra Hotel) to be told there was no room available for me as no contact had been made on my behalf. If you have started to nod off at this stage can you imagine what all this was doing to my head?my room was taken.That afternoon,I rang the Alexandra Hotel to speak to the sales & marketing manager and he wasn't very helpful.Although more of this kinda thing was to continue happening Thursday,I'll finish.My friends tried to pay St.Julians Bay Hotel by credit card for me &we were told cash only. Why cash????To top it off,the same friends rooms were robbed.This really nice family in question received little sympathy or help by the manager of the hotel.Safes didnt work among other things, and as their rooms were entered via a key,how could you feel safe there?We did enjoy Malta itself(even the fabulous grumpy bus drivers,brilliant)and great travelling companions.Please believe me,I could add more about the whole situation but fear you might think its unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Runaway186600

Travellers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Stayed here for 7 nights, what a disaster from start to finish. Good points ; entrance, bus stop close by....... Bad points, showers not working, hot water taps not working, security safes without a lock, corridors stink of smoke, took 14 hrs to get a kettle, breakfast was 2 serials / dry bread rolls / ham? / cold beans, broken shower door, ants in one room, could not flush toilets, doors not locking properly + + + + + +. We had 7 rooms booked altogether so these are the comments from us all. The area around the hotel is ok with a few good restaurants. The pool "across the road" is around 8-10 ft deep so not suitable for kids (we had a 13 month old).
To round off the disaster that this place is we had jewellery stolen from our room by "somebody" with a key to our room, somebody else in our party had money a jewellery stolen too at the same time (11am- 4pm).
I have read some of the previous comments and they say its good for a bed for the night and the comment over the door "The 3 Star That Thinks Its A 4 Star" but "DO NOT RUIN YOUR HOLIDAY BY STAYING HERE" . Apart from the hotel we enjoyed the wedding we came for and the sites we visited.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank DnHe
london
Reviewed 3 September 2010

On arrival we were advised by the hotel manager to lock our cases and leave no valubles or money left in our room at any time.Going up to our room ther were dirty towels thrown all across the halls outside the roomsby the housemaids we were appalled.My aunty was very angry and approached the housemaid and started to speak to her in maltease saying how disgusted she was and to put the dirty linen in a basket or a black bag i was horrified.anyway for the rest of our stay she did that every morning so at least that worked who knows how long for.On entering our room the ac was not working and in 40c i needed it to work.The toilet didnt flush so i went straight back to reception 15 mins later a knock on the door a man came in took the chair that i was sat on stood on it and started fiddling with the ac unit.He took a piece of it off which was hanging off and said it was working.You could only feel it when you were right in front of it.He told me to flush the toilet three times very fast so it would flush.The accomodation is full of rude students.I understand you get what you pay for i got it quite cheap.But i thought the basic things would work and i never imagined it would be dirty.i wouldnt even class this as a hotel its a youth hostel.Do not stay here you really will be dissapointed our holiday was ruined it is really bad I have stayed in many hotels around the world 2 3 4 and 5 stars this is by far the worse.The only good thing is the location.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Cavalieri Art Hotel
Cavalieri Art Hotel
#18 of 32 in Saint Julian's
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,021 reviews

Been to St. Julian's Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!