“DO NOT STAY HERE”

St. Julian's Bay Hotel
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We were unfortunate enough to book this hotel for our honeymoon for 3 nights. The hotel is in a wonderful location so we decided to stay, however we now wish we had not spent a night there. There is no wireless internet available in the rooms even though it is advertised on their website/expedia - the front desk agent even said we'd be lucky to get a signal. Secondly, the bed was horribly stiff and we suffered from many bed bug bites. Additionally, the door to our balcony did not lock or even close properly. We were petrified that someone might come in and rob us, luckily this did not happen. On the second day of our stay the hot water was broken and we were invited to use another room in the hotel to shower. I was not happy about wandering the hotel in my shoes and a towel. At night it was hard to fall asleep because we could hear the guests above us when they used the toilet (listening to people's bowel movements whilst on honeymoon was not exactly what I had my heart set on). Overall, I would never stay at this hotel again and I want to do my best to be sure that people do not experience what we went through. We checked out of the hotel yesterday and I am still itching from the many bites I received!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica I

Reviewed 22 October 2012

From outside the hotel looked great. The staff were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble to sort out. I have mobility problems and the first room was fine but the shower too small. The next day they changed my wife and I to another room with a bigger shower and we were sorted for the week. The room was fine but a bit more storage would not go amiss. We had gone for bed and breakfast and it was an restaurant attached to the hotel. It was very basic continental breakfast and you had to be down early to get the best selection. There is a small lift that will hold 4 very thin people. There were quite a few young people there,mostly about 16 to 18 years of age but no trouble and well supervised.Location wise it is perfect. Go right and head to Sliema and the Sliema ferries and shopping especially "The Point" a new shopping mall.- worth the visit. Go left and go to St Julian's Bay with all restaurants and bars. Walking is easy as it is all on the flat with a long promenade that goes on for about 5 miles. We would go back but a few basic improvements will make all the difference.

Room Tip: Make staff aware of your needs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick340
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights at St Julian's Bay hotel.
I must confess I was quite worried after reading the reviews. However I was determined to stay in St. Julian's area so I decided to choose the hotel which offered the best location and value for money so St. Julian's Bay was the best option.
All the hotel's staff in special the reception team were so polite, kind and helpful. They truly amazed us with their professionalism, attention, tips and extra effort to assist us with anything we needed.
The hotel looks exactly like the photos on their website. There is no lie about that.
Our room had a good size, beds and pillows were very comfortable, towels were changed every day and everything was always very clean.
The bathroom was modern style and very spacious. Excelent shower. Soap is provided.
We had booked a standard room so we were not sure if we would get a room with balcony or not as it is informed on the website that not all standard rooms have balcony. Finding out we had got a room with balcony and seaview was a plus !!!!
TV had international channels, air conditioner worked perfectly and there was also a safe in the room.
I was quite pleased with the breakfast served but if you want a 5 stars hotel breakfast you can have your breakfast somewhere else.
Location is perfect. You will have anything you need with 3-5 minutes walk. However if you decide to go visit other areas bus stops are just few minutes away.
I just cannot understand how people can have such different opinion about a same place. It's like if we had stayed in different hotel.
I would definitely stay at St. Julian's Bay hotel again and would recommend it to my friends.
The hotel contributed for the amazing time we spent in Malta.

Room Tip: I had a room with seaview on the first floor and with the windows closed I couldn't hear a singl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank London_Brazil
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We have just returned from a week at this place. We, like so many others, originally booked to stay at the Carlton Hotel, Sliema, but were told on arrival that there were plumbing problems so were shipped over to this hotel.

The place is a dump, no satelite TV, no safe, breakfast is awful, no swimming pool (but they pretend the one opposite is their own). Do Not Stay here as it will ruin your holiday on the lovely island of Malta.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 13 September 2012

No noise insulation, dark and dated room interiors, noisy location, tiny bathroom, no toiletries. We checked in (unfortunatley after paying in advance) and immediatly left for a better hotel. As per other reviews, its a youth hostel pretending to be a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank wedgy1
Reviewed 1 September 2012

stayed here for 3 nights. was part of hb global meet delegation. my colleagues from all over the world had gathered here. wow! still remember the nights... adventurous i must stay....huge beds and mattresses that you will sink in...though creaky ...the large windows and the tall palms that were behind.. ..cant forget the nights :)
food was average...close to beach...walkable distance to some bigger names...hilton...
gay bars...loud music all close by....
english speaking staff...on the whole enjoyed...with a theatre close by :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Travelsoftanveer
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I booked for a weekend last month in this hotel. Of course as everyone else the research was done on-line and I have to say that this hotel's website depicts the three star hotel as beautiful and luxurious as one with more stars. We had a choice of three room types- the normal, the side seaview and the balcony room. We chose the side-seaview since my boyfriend wanted the sea view. On the room specifications there was listed a mini bar which was also one of our search criteria, In such hot weather one would be happy to sip on something cold whilst chilling in the room. the picture gallery on-line showed spacious rooms with modern furniture and everything looked nice and in order. They even wrote there is a spacious working area for those who need it. So we booked!!!!

The day we had to check in arrived and they asked for immediate payment, something which raised my suspicion immediately. They gave us a key to our room and we headed to the lift since it was on the 5th floor....yet the lift seemed like it was bought in a post war auction....old, slow and for the weekend we were there didn't work at all!! We go to the room and for a second we both weren't sure whether it was a prison cell or whether it was a trap to kill us and chop us in this dark room with a 30cm by 30cm window on the top left corner of one of the walls. The bed was made up of two twin beds put together when I had clearly requested a double bed when I placed my booking.

Went down to the reception again and explained this was not what we had booked and they knew it, hence why they looked for another room for us. The second room did have a double bed...but the side seaview they boasted about on the website was merely a door through which you could check out what your neighbours were doing in the block of flats right beside the hotel!!! The room in total measure 4m by 3.5m round about and the spacious working area must have been a typo on their website together with the minibar which was nowhere to be found. I had to go down again and ask about the minibar thingy and they said it was not available because they were renovating.....so which hotel does start its renovation with minibars?? Why not start with fixing the lift and saving many the hassle of having to drag their luggage up to the 5th floor in a 1m wide staircase? Yeah and somewhere on the website they even wrote they have a swimming pool on the roof but god knows if it is the hotel's roof or their mother's!!!

At this point we were about to give up and leave but considering this was the last weekend we could explore the maltese night life together we decided to stay but vowed never to return ever again in this shabby place.

And the breakfast....holy moly what the hell was that?? Boiled eggs looking green, luncheon meat, hams and the like must have been left out of the refrigerator from the day before, biscuits almost all broken, most probably bought cheaply from the last lots at the open markets. Disgrace apart from the fact that the serving staff had no aprons on, no gloves, no nothing, and they go from cleaning tables and the floor to taking out more food for you, the poor victim.

Highly disappointed, would never return not even if I have to sleep outside on the street!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple