“Disappointing.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Valletta, Malta
“Disappointing.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

A while ago, in the middle of June, I moved over to Malta with my fiance. While we were looking for an apartment we had to stay at a number of hotels. This one was by far the worse - not so much for their ammenities, but for the service of the staff. Looking online we managed to find this hotel and find a room that was in a decent price. We headed to the hotel and after a brief discussion with the receptionist, while he pretended to look for a free room on the computer (I was standing right next to him and could see that he was just moving the mouse around, never clicking on typing anything..) he refused to accept the offer that we had seen online and tried to charge us almost double the amount of the offer. Thanking him for this time, we stepped outside, and went online, booked the room online and went back in with a ready booked room.

The receptionist was obviously (?) not pleased and he made sure to show it. Grunting and almost in a reluctant way, he handed us the keys for the room went back to reading his newpaper and we headed up to our hotel room.

When we got up there, the sliding shower door was broken and quite hazardous, especially in combination with the wet water that was leaking everywhere when the shower head ran.

The balcony had a lovely view, but the damaged walls and unsteady railing made the 20-30 meter distance to the road look really dangerous.

We decided to just rest and end the day there and everything went well.

The next day, while checking out, the receptionist, a different one, was informed about what happened the day before, and instead of actually apologizing, they demanded that we never do that again (book online instead of there..) and bid us farewell.

Would never get a room there again, nor would I ever recommend this place to any of my friends and relatives.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Daniel B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Although the rooms are not the newest anymore, they are clean. I recommend to book a room with seaview, which is fantastic. So is the location at the beautiful boulevard. Looking at Balluta Bay, sitting on the balcony of the room: never a dull moment. Breakfast is ok. The lifts are very small though. Staff is kind. When we were home again we received a phonecall from the hotel to inform us that we left our photocamera behind. Very kind. Everything was settled immediately.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johanna V
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We stayed for one night and we were upgraded to a sea view because they had some students in the rest of the hotel, we didnt pay a lot and it was a very lovely hotel, a little worn, the staff were absolutely brilliant.

Room Tip: Didnt rate the breakfast much!
1 Thank Lyne64
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have been to this hotel before and while I had no problems the last time, this time was very different. While the receptionist recognized me from my last visit, which was very nice and welcoming, the room on the other hand wasn't what I had hoped it would be. I was assigned to one room, which was incredibly noisy, yet all the amenities worked fine. The shower cabin in the first room was way too small, and I do mean waaayyyy too small... unless you're a little person. But even my friend who is 5.5'' thought that the shower cabin was rather claustrophobic! The air conditioning was heaven, but the noise from the street was deafening. So I was met in my needs by the management and I was moved to another room to the back... with... guess what: no air conditioning. Ok, I said, do you have a fan? Yes, they happily provided me with one and when I asked when the air conditioning was going to be fixed, I was told "well, maybe tomorrow..." MAYBE...??? Really?! Honey, I stayed there for a little over 2 weeks, the thing STILL isn't fixed! Yes, I had a fan, but that's not what I paid for. Their reasoning being, they assign certain jobs to certain companies and they depend on the time of said companies to come in and do repairs... Why not have your OWN hotel electrician on staff??? Anyway. The last couple of days I made a couple of complaints regarding noise. And believe me, I DO NOT like to complain, seriously. But there were a bunch of children running up and down the steps, playing with the elevators and whatever else, even at night time when most people would sleep...! The thing that really sent me off the deep end was when teenagers from the room next door, opened the little shaft window in my bathroom from their bathroom WHILST I was taking a shower...!!! I wanted to kill!!! The receptionist on duty that evening was very helpful and he reprimanded them, which was good.

Again, DO NOT GET ME WRONG, there was much that the hotel staff couldn't really help with, but there's also lots that they can and they should.

I must give them kudos for being friendly and understanding, interested in how the guests are doing and all of that. The indoor booking agency/desk also comes in handy and both the young lady as well as the young man were very nice and committed to their field of work.

I don't like to give crappy reviews and I don't like to complain, but if I am to return to this hotel, which lies in a prime location in St. Julians, they will HAVE TO step up their game! Because I do think it's a nice enough looking hotel, very inviting... the amenities however are not all quite up to par...

AJ (Amsterdam)

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are nice, but be verrrrryyyy mindful of the traffic from the very narrow streets, whi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AMSAJ
Victoria, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

There have been many disparaging reviews n this hotel, which may have merit for the individuals who have written them but from my experience they are unfounded.

The multilingual staff are fabulous, we arrived a very warm welcome despite arriving at midnight; the room was clean and secure and the hotel is in an enviable location; what more can you ask for €30 a night!

The restaurant next door Bocconcino is stunning, amiable staff and excellent food, superior coffee, oh and free wifi.

Room Tip: Swimming pool and room service are non applicable! Just couldn't untick the boxes!
2 Thank wilmzy
Orléans
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Nice place for a young & alone traveller as I was.

- nice view and perfect location !!
- staff helpful and really nice
- really cheap
- it's clean but simple

Regrets on :
- room is not really warm, a little bit seedy to be honest
- bathroom is not comfortable

Advice : don't choose it for a romantic night ; and don't take it in winter (really really cold : no heater and no duvet...)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Valentine T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Price value is good. Rooms were clean, ok furniture, they had an english movie channel, excellent location, in-door tourist information, good restaurants nearby and really friendly staff. Not that good are the bit dirty hallways (stains in carpet) and the sheet that looked old and used (too much). Overall we had a good stay on a very good location for a good price.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#14 of 29 in Sliema
Cavalieri Art Hotel
Cavalieri Art Hotel
#18 of 34 in Saint Julian's

Been to St. Julian's Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!