“Well, at least it was sorta cheap...”

St. Julian's Bay Hotel
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Spent four nights at the St Julian's Bay Hotel in May, and came away less than impressed. Reading previously posted reviews I had a feeling I was in for a couple of issues, but what I ended up with was cramped quarters, tiny single beds, elevators that occasionally worked, sporadic air conditioning, a semi-functioning TV, COLD showers, and worst of all a staff that was the on the whole the most unhelpful group of individuals I have encountered while traveling. Save yourself the grief, trust the posted reviews and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 January 2009

Very small narrow passage ways. Our room had a tv but no adapter so we were unable to watch it!! No proper shower facitilty , just a hose and the toilet only worked sometimes!!
Pillows were dreadful and the staff are not very helpful . When I informed them about the Tv, I was told that the hotel had no tv adapters available and to wait until another room had booked out.
Rooms are really dark and have cold tiles. Do not stay in this excuse for a hotel

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaza81
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Malta: St Julians Bay Hotel.Balluta Bay:Brilliant Holiday

My husband and myself stayed in this hotel in June for a week. I have read all the previous reviews and can only think that most of the reviewers spent their entire holiday looking for things to complain about within the hotel. The hotel has recently been refurbished and yes certain things were not finished off but lets face it if you want perfection in a hotel then I suggest staying at the Hilton across the bay where it will cost you considerably more then 80 euros per night!! The room we stayed in was at the back of the hotel with a small balcony. The bathroom was perfect, everything working and clean. The wardrobes were bigger than in any 5 star hotel we have been in. The breakfast was basic but it lived up to our expectations of a 3 star hotel. The man who works in the mornings at breakfast was pleasant and was constantly topping up the empty trays. We always spoke to the people who work there and have no complaints at all about anyone there. The man who worked in the reception in at evenings, Joe I think he was called was most pleasant and very helpful. He is an asset to the hotel. The hotel is actually on Balluta Bay but is in the St Julians area. I have been going to Malta for 34 years and chose this hotel as it is in a fantastic position on the sea front. Buses pass by all the time so a car is not really necessary. We always opt for a car as we like to get around the island and even after all these years still find places we have not been to. Yes their driving is a bit eratic but go to any other country and this happens. Malta has a quaintness about it which you will not find anywhere else in Europe, perhaps some people will see this as a down point but look at it through different eyes and you will love it as we do. We were talking to an elderly man in the gardens above the harbour, he was telling us all about the war and the naval ships that now visit. My grandfather was in the Navy and lived in Malta and now my daughter is also in the navy. He was so pleased and proud to be talking to us. This is the true Malta so forget about the hotel not being 100% perfect,. We will return again next year to this hotel, yes we can afford to stay in the Hilton but prefer to be a part of the true Malta with helpful Maltese people.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SAM57Sheffield
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My wife and I are just back from Malta, if you want a restful holiday avoid the hotels that deal with package holidays esp' around St Julians bay and Paceville. If you choose to stay in a Hotel I would only recomend the 5 star hotels as the grading in Malta in our opinion is questionable. If you want to avoid the noise and want to see the real Malta go to Medina, better than the main town Valleta.

We found the service in the main tourist areas very poor. and if you have to use the public toilets then take tissue and hand wipes they are disgusting.

Watch out for timeshare offers offering free trips around the island its a scam

The only good point about Malta was the buses very cheap frequent service better than any tour bus.

3  Thank Just74
Reviewed 30 July 2008

The problems with this hotel begin before you arrive. As its not actually in St Julians, taxi drivers from airport dont know where it is.
On arrival at the hotel you can't fail to notice the surrounding area is more like a building site and the hotel is right on the main costal road (which has traffic 24/7) Oh and did I mention the maltese seem to have their hands glued to their car horns 24/7, so forget a quiet nights sleep or quiet morning in bed. The hotel has a seemingly nice entrance area. It ends there. We were initially given room 106. This is updated and at first glance looks nice. However, the finish is poor (akin to something cobbled together on a dodgy DIY programme) leaky showers, taps that run hot when turned to cold and vice versa, air con that leaks all over the floor, a sink so close to the toilet that you can't actually sit down on the loo unless you go side saddle!! oh, and no balcony, just a pokey window looking onto the alley by the side of the hotel where, incidentally rubbish is dumped and gangs congregate in the evening. We moved rooms to 303 with a sea view. Room same standard as before. Loads of traffic noise, a mini fridge too mini to be of any use, and a lovely flat screen tv but with only german channels. There is also a pool accross the busy road (ps maltese don't particularly care about stopping at zebra xings). The pool does not belong to the hotel and is used mainly by locals for swimming / water polo practice (I know this from hearing the coach blow his whistle constantly all afternoon every day, so no relaxing by the pool either). Oh and you have to pay to use the pool too. Breakfast time is no fun either. Croissants in plastic wrappers, stale bread, grey eggs, and a waiter that looks like he's just rolled in from the night before, every morning. Dining room is horrible too. Naff. The "shop" in the hotel is never open, and the 2 internet connections available (no wifi here!) are permanently occupied by kids playing games so you can't even check e mails (or try to arrange flights back home in desperation to escape Malta generally). Erm what else can I say. Theres not much to do in St Julians, Paceville is a dump (like Magaluff in the 1990's), since last year the prices have doubled (euro conversion related I think). It just feels like a rip off. My final word on the St Julians Bay Hotel..... Their moto on their sign outside says " A three star hotel with the mind of a four". It should read " You'd be out of your mind to beleive its a 3 star, with beds so uncomfortable you'll sleep better on the floor". This is a definate 2 star (with nice sinks) at best. AVOID!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I was impressed by the entrance to this hotel but that is about it!
My disappointment came when I found old fashioned windows covered up with violet net curtains. When I got to my hotel room 516 the door was bashed in and i had problems getting it to lock at night. Part of the skirting board of the room was either not finished or missing!
The bathroom porcelain tiles extended to the bedroom and were very outdated. The boiler in the bathroom was an ugly sight and I had two taps that signified hot water! The shower was old fashioned and allowed water to escape as there was no shower door but a shower curtain that stuck to me when I had a shower. There was a funny smell from the bathroom. The tv was in totally the wrong position for viewing. There was no kettle or professional leaflets about the hotel - but information stuck on the hotel door. Worst of all looking up at the ceiling which is a typical office polystyrene foamed ceiling that smelt of wood chip & reminded me of work! great!

Buffett - On the first day I found a yellow hair in my bread roll and the orange was not fresh but concentrated and sickly sweet. I will not go there again!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank farsa999
Reviewed 1 November 2006

I stayed in the Miramare for 28 days on bed and breakfast terms. The attraction was the price, under £300.00 with no sole occupancy supplement, including direct flights from Manchester with British Airways.

The hotel is close to Spinola Bay and a ten minute stroll from the heart of St Julians or a twenty minute stroll to the shops in Sliema. Though, a shopping centre containing a good supermarket, newsagents and laundry is only a three minute walk from the hotel. A chemist is about a five minute walk from the hotel. Buses run regularly to and from Valletta from a stop outside the hotel. I had no problem with traffic noise. It's not too far from the night life and pubs in Paceville to walk, but far enough as to be quiet at night.

Rooms are basic and the balcony is small, but amenities include a full sized bath and shower, regularly changed towels and linen and a TV that provides BBC World Service and from time to time a movie in English. Most channels are Italian. I was more than pleased with the maid service. The maid went as far as to bring me an ironing board from her home and when my shoes needed to be resoled, she took them to a repair shop and returned them to me within a couple of days.

I only took breakfasts at the hotel. Basic, but a choice of cereal, then ham, cheese, boiled egg, bread and rolls, juices, jams, honey, coffee, tea, drinking chocolate etc...enough to get me going in the morning. Other guests paid about £5 for an evening meal which they said was quite nice. Lots of good value pubs and restaurants in the area offering meals at about £2 to £5. Some exclusive restaurants charge about £20 to £30, but are frequented by movie stars when a film is being shot at the film studio near Valletta.

Rooms at the front of the hotel offer a good view of the bay if you are allocated a sea view. Other rooms do not offer much of a view, aside the building about 30 feet away.

The hotel has one small lift. If you are on an upper floor, it can take a while to arrive. The stairs are quite narrow. One communial area with a TV in reception. Shops, an independent restaurant and a coffee bar come bistro on the ground level.

Most guests are on a low budget. But I found the company to be sober and cheerful.

The hotel suited my purposes and was very convenient for exploring the islands. I did a lot of walking, hence the need for shoe repairs!

Van.

#23 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Carlton Hotel
Carlton Hotel
#13 of 28 in Sliema

Been to St. Julian's Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!