“Good food”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Been hearing about this place for the longest time but somehow every time we intend to go..something always comes up.. I guess with the many choices one has in the area.. it's very tricky. Tonight, managed to visit with a dear friend and we are both a happy customer. We came very early - obviously they are still setting up but they insisted that we take a table. The complimentary mini bruschetta is a welcoming treat... went for a Italian Frascati .. my friend ordered Penne salmon & prawn... I went for the highly recommended lamb shank. Both were very good. My friend went for Maltese ice cream and I for lemon sorbet... to top it all.. a limoncello on the house. Indeed a nice early supper... saved the coffee for later as the night was young..

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We recently discovered this restaurant after purchasing a voucher deal and have been back 4 times since, trying different items from the menu and have never been disappointed. We are looking forward to returning again in near future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We hadn't eaten at L-Ghonnella for years but were keen to go back especially as they had updated their menu. Friday night at 8:30 and the restaurant was almost empty, just two other tables of guests.

The interior looked just the same and the service was still faultless. We ordered some Maltese wine which was very reasonably priced and also tasted great - a Cab Sauv if I recall.

For starters my wife had the octopus which to me is a risky choice as it's often chewy but this was absolutely perfectly cooked. I went for the quail which was equally good.

For mains my wife had the rabbit and garlic and I had some kind of pork with apples. The menu on the website is out of date as they had just introduced the menu on the night we were there. The mains came with an order of fried potatoes. The food was very good and excellent value for money.

The total bill for 2 was only €76 which compared to some other restaurants in the area is very reasonable.

Surprised the restaurant was so quiet when the food is very good, the service excellent and the value for money hard to beat in St Julians

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I've been living in Malta for 3yrs. 2-3 times a week my friends and I try a new restaurant anywhere on the island (usually where there are some voucher deals). I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world (i love food and travel :) ) If you're a tourist and want 100% Maltese experience in terms of food and surroundings, go to L-Ghonnella. If you're a resident and want to have an excellent meal, go to L-Ghonnella. The restaurant is in a stunning medieval cellar / vault typically found in noble homes of that time and definitely worth spending a couple of hours in for atmosphere and the fabulous food. The menu is full of local specialities - we all chose different dishes for starters and main, and each dish looked and tasted fabulous. We all chose the Banoffee for dessert (photo below) - there's some wonderful bit of meringue worked into the creamy bit .. i've never had anything like it before, it was totally amazing.
Im definitely going back :)
Not sure about outdoor seating but personally those surroundings for a few hours is much more special than being outside.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Food & service at L-Ghonella was excellent. Romantic & relaxing atmosphere. Both the starter & main course well cooked & good portions