“Deep clean”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Julian's
Diamond Suites on Malta
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Deep clean”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Room was very poor. Dark decor, damaged furniture, missing crockery and an overpowering smell of cigarette smoke. Clearly no smoking ban in Malta. Apartment was over the entrance to the underground car park on the main circuit for the boy racers with the 'sports exhaust'. My special thanks to the blue Impreza advertising the radio station with speakers so loud it vibrates the whole hotel and sets off the car alarms.

No rep on site but a phone call from Diamond Resorts in Italy. Advised to ask reception for a deep clean of the room which they did the next day. Moderated but did not eliminated the smell. Baled out for the last two nights to the Knights in Malta B&B in Naxxar which I can thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Innes J

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We went to the Suites for a week in October before moving on to another resort in Malta.
The good side is that this was better then the second place. Getting to the suites is a little complicated as it is part of the intercontinental hotel and you have to go to the 7th floor along a corridor to another lift and then get to the floor your room is on. Our room was overlooking the garden and was quiet I'm glad we were this side not over the road. There was a musty smell on entering the suite but once in you forgot about it. Apartment clean but dated and looking tired.
The hotel has good facilites and the roof top pool is lovely but can be noisy from traffic overthe weekend. Used the Asian restaurant twice and it was really nice and we got a 20% discount as we were residents.

Other restaurants around were good especially if you went off the main drag a little. Was very close to club land but no noise and wasn't a problem.

The Gym was excellent as well as the indoor pool. I would go back to the place but not in a hurry.

Room Tip: Request rooms with a garden view as quieter
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Huntsalt
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My wife and I had booked this resort a few years ago and then found out that all Diamond Suites were above the road so we cancelled immediately. This year we wanted to go to malt and had already cancelled booking at Golden Bay for reasons beyond our control and we were a little bit dubious about noise. I had also read on review about musty smells and bad accommodation but wwas prepared to give it a go and I have to say that we have no regrets and would happily stay there again.

We arrived on a Saturday evening at about 8.00pm, check-in was quick and we found our way to the apartment, Suite 778, facing the road. On entering the apartment there was definately a slight musty smell of damp and a dehumidifier running, surprising but not too bad and the apartment was a good size, although not 5 star accommodation.

I opened the door to the balcony, which was actually two double glazed doors and the noise hit me from outside, a good job we had some idea what to expect. The bedroom was actually internal to the main apartment and when the door was closed there was no noise, except from the air conditioning.

We were in need of food and went walkabout and found a fantastic restaurant not far from the top of the steps at 'disco land' - not as bad as it sounds it was just were all the bars were to attract younger people and I have to say that there was no fear walking through here as we did not see any propbelms, the steps are a bit steep though.

Having eaten a good meal we bought some wine and went back to the apartment and sat on the balcony watching the traffic below. It became apparent that all of the vehilces were driven by locals who just appeared to like to show off and make some noise. They would hang back from vehicles ahead then rev hard and drive for about 50meters but could go no further. It would be quite simple to stop this by intalling traffic calming mearures about every 20 meters this would make it quiter for hetel residents but also safer for the many people using the area. It would just need all of the businesses to get together and push the local authority.

Sunday night was similar but the noise from vehicles stopped earlier as the locals had to get up for work next morning. The rest of the week was ok as well so only Saturday is bad.

We didn't hire a car for this holiday but used local busses which were very cheap and frequent. I would also recommend the sight seeing bus tour and the harbour cruise.

The Diamond Suites are in a fantastic location with many good restaurants neraby and I would certainly be happy to stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank CPD5
Kingsburg, California
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in the "Diamond Suites on Malta" which are located on certain floors of the InterContinental hotel. I will admit that the rooms are probably 4 star and not 5 star like InterContinental's other rooms, but we had a pleasant experience. Our room consisted of 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, living room/dining area, kitchenette, and balcony. There were flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom. The bathroom attached to the bedroom had a tub/shower combination and the bathroom off of the kitchen had a shower only. There was a set of wardrobes in the bedroom, as well as 2 sets next to the 2nd bathroom. Our room was bright and cheery (room 875) and overlooked some sort of waterfall and coy ponds. The kitchen did not have a dishwasher nor an oven, but did have a small fridge, stove top, microwave, toaster, and the usual dishes/utensils, I also think it had a blender. A bottle of water and carton of milk were given to us (which I found odd) and if you would like, you can call the hotel in advance and have some food supplies (orange juice, bread, butter, jelly, eggs, milk...) awaiting you upon your arrival for €18. We may do that next time.
The hotel is not directly on the beach, but has it's own beach area about half a block to a block away. The staff will bring you drinks here if you'd like. I must note that for American travelers: this is a family beach, but there will most likely be a handful of topless sunbathers. Just a warning in case you do not want your children exposed to that. The same is true of the rooftop pool (which is VERY nice), but the indoor pool obviously doesn't have that problem. on one side of the hotel there is a movie theater (English movies yay) and on the other side is a strip that is lined with bars/lounges/night clubs/strip clubs that are open practically all night. We did not hear any noise from the strip, but we did hear a couple complaining to the front desk about the noise. Across the street is an outdoor mall with shops and restaurants. DO NOT GO TO THE HARD ROCK CAFE ACROSS THE STREET. It was the worst experience I have had at a Hard Rock ever. There are many restaurants within walking distance, including those at Spinola Bay (this hotel is on St. George's Bay and Spinola is very close). There are also several restaurants within the hotel and there is pricey room service.
You do have to pay for internet use, and there is not a hotel airport shuttle, but you can purchase a roundtrip ticket for the malta transfer service at the airport for €14 per person (a cab is €21 each way)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank beeeechbum
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Had a wonderful stay in diamond suites on Malta. stayed in a one bed suite. Two bathrooms one en suite. Rooms lovely and spacious, over looking the Bay hotel. Expected loads of noise due to location but our room was really well sound proof. Surprised at the other reviews as our stay was fantastic. Room facilities great and nothing leaked. Shower warm and in full working order and good kitchen facilities. Great for buses and shopping. Cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2010
7 Thank greenbee99
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2010

We stayed at the Suites in December and were happy with the suite. As mentioned in the previous review, the toilet handle leaked and there was a musty odour to the room but ntot enough to spoil the holiday. We had a one bedroom suite which was very large and comfortable. The service in the hotel was excellent but we suggest you don't stay if you like peace and quiet. We were prepared for noise as we knew that we were in the heart of Malta's nightife but we were not prepared for the endless cars streaming past the hotel with music/bass blaring and exhausts extremely loud. I would not recommend the suites for this reason unless you are prepared to be disturbed. It's a great pity as we're sure that rooms facing the garden would have been excellent but obviously not for Interval customers!! Don't be put off just accept that you will be disturbed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank anothercumbriatwo
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 18 November 2010

My husband, sister and 13 year old niece and I (4 persons) booked 2 bed / 2 bath 'suite' in the 'Diamond Suites' situated on dedicated floors within the 5* Intercontinental Hotel...itself a beautiful hotel with good facilities. The roof pool was lovely and the public areas were well maintained and spotlessly clean...though the indoor pool and hot tub were very disappointing...

The 'Diamond Suites' were a different matter...these are merely rooms set aside but unfortunately they are NOT 5* . I had paid through Interval World a 'getaway' fee of almost £600 for the week. We had the misfortune to be allocated Room #871. As soon as we opened the door to the 'suite' we were overwhelmed by the stench of foul, mouldy air. The sitting room comprised a small kitchenette, 3 seat sofa(bed) and 1 armchair - this was the lounge seating provided for up to 6 persons!!! There was an ample dining table and a writing desk.

It was the darkest, tiniest, gloomiest room we had ever seen and the weirdest layout. Even the brightest sunlight could not penetrate the gloom...one small patio door along a 'corridor' (L-shaped room) provided the only source of natural light, making it necessary to keep ceiling lights on all the time in order to see. The TV on the wall was about 4ft away from the seating - far too close to watch and nowhere near enough room for4 people to sit comfortably - let alone 6!! The carpets were stained and very grubby...

The bedrooms were fine - fairly spacious, large patio doors onto the balcony gave plenty of light and the beds were very comfortable and clean. However, the terrible mouldy, damp smell permeated the whole suite, including the wardrobes. On calling reception desk a member of housekeeping was despatched and he plugged in ONE small air freshener into the sitting room socket, promptly turned and left...we were all speechless!

The next day 'Liz' from Diamond Resorts called and listened whilst I listed the complaints...a promise of a 'deep clean' was made (preferred it to have taken place BEFORE our arrival!) but no deep clean ever took place despite our telling them when we would be out for the whole day and giving permission to enter the suite to carry out the necessary clean and repairs more later). The cupboard door housing the room safe was inaccessible because one of the hinges was damaged...that too remained unrepaired during a week long stay, so unable to use the safe..

So bad was this suite I asked Liz if we could move - but was told (triumphantly) that the resort was full. I asked if we could move into one (or two) of the hotel's own rooms or suites (at my own expense!) but there was a wedding taking place over the whole weekend and other scheduled functions which rendered the hotel full for most of the week. I called the Hilton and the Westin Dragonara - all full...so other than move well out of the area we wanted to be and find a comparable deluxe hotel - we had to endure it...

As for Liz, the 'customer service manager / rep' - there was not a word of concern or apology - in fact, the attitude was distinctly 'couldn't care less...' All she parrotted back was 'we're full...' as if that was some kind of vindication. The Diamond Suites office was located in room #525 but no-one could be bothered to take the lift 3 floors up and come and meet us or inspect the rooms...the irony of the term 'customer service' was evidently lost on Liz and the staff.

We happened to pass Suite #872 (directly opposite ours) as the maid was cleaning it. I stood at the doorway and spoke to her, asking if something could be done about the horrible smell in ours. I was struck by the bright and spacious layout and asked how many the suite accommodated and was informed It was a 1 bed suite (up to 4 persons with the sofabed) but it looked twice as big as ours and although the decor was identical, dated and dreary the rooms were brighter by virtue of the better layout and large patio doors.

Clearly, our suite was wholly inferior. .. in terms of cleanliness, lighting and general maintenance. The paintwork, carpets and furnishings are in desperate need of upgrading...it looked like something out of the 70s - the only nod to this decade was the flat screen TV - the one too close and so poorly situated that we all retired to our respective bedrooms to watch programmes. There was simply no comfort in the lounge area so minimum time was spent there.

The lavatory in our en-suite leaked from the handle whenever we flushed. Our showerhead leaked so bad the pressure was a mere trickle. The showerhead in the second bathroom also leaked but not so badly so we all used that one bathroom. despite the obvious inconvenience, on two occasions, to save time, we showered in the roof pool toilets because the showers in there were much better.

We had a lovely visit to Malta itself - however this accommodation was the only blight on the whole trip. We have stayed at better motels in our time and are fortunate enough now to be able to afford top hotels and resorts around the world. We usually do not stay in less than 4* and have had luxurious stays at, among others, various Marriott Resorts around the world - we are actually booked into Marriott Resort Marbella in February - 2 bed / 2 bath with every conceivable facility - for considerably less than the £600 I paid for this grubbly, gloomy, stinking rabbit hutch. In fact the Marriott (5* resort) cost only £109 for the week through Interval World exchange scheme...

I responded to Diamond Resorts 'customer satisfaction survey' and included photos to support my complaint immediately on return in mid October - sadly, I have yet to receive a response from them. I am very disappointed that they seek opinions and feedback but fail to respond to it. I have also sent a scathing report to Interval World.

I think Intercontinental should ditch this substandard company who are leeching the hotel's high star grade to mask its own poor quality accommodation, facilities and service to the detriment of the hotel. I am surprised it has been tolerated...

I will monitor feedback for this resort to see if things improve and to learn of other guests' experiences, particularly those who stay in #871.

I would not recommend this particular Diamond Resort (Malta) to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family