“Good location and good value”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed here for five nights with my boyfriend.

Good points about the hotel:

*Excellent location for bars (in Paceville), restaurants (St Julians) and buses (to everywhere else!)
*We had a huuuuge double room, with large bathroom with good shower, tonnes of towels and a few complimentary products.
*Despite what other people have said on here, we couldn't hear a thing from our room - from outside or from the other guests - we were on the 5th floor and looking into the courtyard so this may have something to do with it.
*Good air con in the room
*Lots of choice for breakfast although slightly repetitive after 5 days - but served from 7.30am to 10.30am - perfect for hangovers!
*Very friendly and helpful staff - I was very ill one day and had to go to the doctors and they gave us all the info we needed
*Nice area on the top floor with swimming pool and sun loungers and bar - we only went up twice but there were always loungers free and someone at the bar. The pool had a few leaves floating in it but what do you expect? It is outside! They're not going to kill you.
*Free computers and WiFi on the ground floor which we found useful for planning trips.
*The cleaners were very thorough every day.

Other points:

*The computers can get busy so you might need to wait a few minutes.
*The drink prices at the bar are a lot higher than other bars in the area but this is to be expected.
*Don't compare this directly this with what you would expect from a 4 or 5 star hotel in England.
*The TV - there is only one English channel for free. The others you have to pay for and even then they're not great. We had to stay in one night as I was will and ordered the tv with films. Don't get your hopes up!!
*Room service costs an extra five euros.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay - and we (well, I) have very high standards!! Would recommend for anyone - please feel free to message me for anything else - we have some recommendations for some restaurants too.

Room Tip: We had a very quiet room on the 5th floor - room 523 which overlooks the courtyard rather than the f...
2  Thank Biscuit_Bec045
Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a week with my boyfriend. On the first night I found it difficulat to sleep due to the noise outside. I must have got used to this though as I didn't have any trouble with the noise for the rest of the week. Our room was clean and the bathroom had a powerfull spacious shower.

The staff were friendly and always eager to please. We had a problem with the TV in that the volume had a mind of its own and would sometimes completely go. The staff sent someone up to fix it the same day and it worked again - although it did go again nearer the end of our holiday.

The roof top pool area is lovely and has some fantastic views. The only down side is that the pool is filthy. There is a black ring around the edge and the bottom of the pool had bits in it. In all other hotels I have stayed in the pool has been cleaned daily, but I wouldn't like to say when the last time this pool was cleaned. One day it even had leaves floating in it. A member of staff did see this and said "oo la la" when she walked past but nothing was done about this.

The spa is also lovely and could have a lot of potential. However the pool is again dirty with what looked to be sand or something on the bottom of it. I certainly didn't want to get in it. I got in the Jacuzzi instead - it took me a while to figure out how to work it but then I realilsed the water smelt like pond water so I got out. The spa is great if you have a late flight and need somewhere for a shower after you have checked out. However the changing facilities could be improved. There are two small rooms with showers and a toilet but it does not say which is male and which is female. They would also benefit from a mirror as there was no where to do my make up so I had to use the toilets in the reception area. The spa has been done so nicely that I think it is a real shame that it isn't cleaned properly. There was also rarely anyone in the spa and there were no towels in it. We had to get towels from the roof top pool.

Despite the downfalls of this hotel I still think it is a lovely hotel to stay in. It is modern and the rooms and lobby are lovely. I found it quite frustrating that the roof top pool was not clean as you would expect from a hotel like this, and also that the spa could have so much more potential.

1  Thank Pickles2508
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Considering the hotel only opened in June 2010, it was looking a little faded in places. I realise that it was coming to the end of season, but the pool was in need of a re-paint as there was a grey water stain around the edges. On two occasions there were no towels available, so we were glad that we had brought our own.

Although the room itself was spacious and comfortable (a junior suite) there were various aspects that could be improved upon. It may have helped for the designer of the hotel to have spent a couple of nights in the room in order for improvements to be made. There was a huge walk-in shower, which really could have benefitted from a shelf on which to place toiletries. The room lacked tea/coffee making facilities which we would have been useful. There was no socket in order to plug a hairdryer in close to a mirror. Skirting boards stopped before the end of the wall (must have run out of supplies). The plaster on the walls near to the ceiling was bulging and close to falling off.

Having said all of that the hotel was in an excellent location for restaurants and general sight-seeing. It had a fridge, comfortable Queen-sized bed and an ipod docking station. We did not hear any street noise, but they may have been helped by the air-conditioning drowning out any noise. The hotel is opposite ESE (which is a language school) - I’m not sure whether it is used as an overflow for breakfast, but come 10am students would use the restaurant for breakfast, which I would not have expected at a boutique hotel.

Tip – if you have a late flight, look to see if you can book an extra night beforehand as it may work out cheaper. It cost 10 euros extra an hour to keep the room on and this could only be extended until 5pm as the cleaners needed to access the room in order to make it up for the next guests.

1  Thank JCTA
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights with the friend of mine. This hotel has a really nice and comfortable lobby area with free wi-fi access. In case you do not have a laptop with you, you may use the computers in the lobby free of charge. We stayed in the Deluxe Room, even though we had two queen beds, there was still enough space in the room to move around. Breakfast was ok. The roof pool in clean and there are enough sunbeds for all guests. Next to the pool, there is a bar, where you can order drinks or relax a bit in the shadows.

The staff at the reception was friendly and helpful.

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dusya0982
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Wonderful hotel with a nice atmosphere for the "fashionable crowd". comfortable rooms, pooldeck with bar and free wifi on the top floor was great. I also used the indoor pool & sauna. Lobby is really comfortable lounge area with couches & sofas. 24 hr shop and empty fridge in the room is much better then having a minibar.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed here for a week on a late deal and couldn't have been more delighted with our choice. The hotel staff from start to finish were always helpful and friendly and always smiled. The room was clean and more than spacious facilities were in the room were a little lacking no tea coffee etc. Pools were lovely and rooftop terrace is a winner overall excellent holiday and an excellent hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed one of the top expensive hotel in the Island but I was not happy with the service and staff was not at all helpful except the old man sitting alone in the lobby , I won’t mention the hotel name because I don’t want put off few people . Later then I moved to The George hotel as I came in I was surprise with the beautiful lobby and was approached by friendly and help full staff (Clint ) who was great and made me feel very special that what we come to hotel to feel special right otherwise stay home and then he explained me in detail about hotel facility and help me to my room and when I was in the room it was amazing and beautiful with lovely music playing I kept it on until I was in the room and great spa and swimming pool everything about the hotel is 100% amazing I must say very relaxing and especially the staff very friendly and help full until I left the exit door staff did there every best to make me feel comfy and help me in any kind of issue very professionally . Excellently satisfied and looking forward to come back always to The George always hope price remains the same.

Room Tip: 301 is the room i stayed i was happy about but try the expensive one aswell
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business