“Very nice hotel”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This hotel is lovely and the staff are excellent. The location is great, especially for lovely restaurants on the water. As long as you turn right out the hotel, you would not really know Paceville was a couple of left turns away!
The only downsides are it can be a little noisy, although you do get that in most places and the pool (which is amazing) really doesn't have enough loungers.
Finally the new spa is amazing, the staff are again excellent and the treatments fab and great value for money.

Room Tip: junior suit, with sea view and balcony, was definitely worth the extra.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

Reviewed 4 July 2012

We were impressed by the George hotel in many respects. Loved that we emailed a year ahead asking for a nice view as we were there in the days before our wedding and lo and behold we had a great sea view, which I was surprised about as it looks like it is far back from the sea.

The hotel is very modern, but comfortable. The walk in shower was the highlight! The rooftop pool area was nice, quite small but that didn't bother us. The bar on the roof closed early (6pm I think) which was a shame as it would have been nice to enjoy cocktails with the view...

The location is great as its a few minutes walk to Spinola Bay with all the restaurants and of course the lovely setting, and then a few minutes to Paceville for the nightlife if you can stomach it - but you don't get affected by the noise as its far enough away.

Only low point was the drinks seemed quite expensive at the bar, and the staff were not overly friendly (they were very poilte) but this is probably a downside of being in a large hotel, that you don't get the familiarity you get in smaller hotels that we normally choose.

All in all though we were very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Go high, and ask for a sea view - its not panoramic but its nice!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Everything was perfect, really good hotel, good situation close to transport, beach and Valetta.
Really good advise from reception and concierge.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We have stayed in this hotel for the 4th time and we feel that we always recieved excellent service, the friendly staff and the committment they always showed to help out their customers makes it a location to just sit and relax and sure of getting the value paid.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I read some of the negative reviews on this hotel and I was wondering if we are discussing the same hotel.... The Hotel is so welcoming, cleanliness is a priority in this hotel, wherever you go.. the staff are awesome. You feel pampered all the time from all the staff, always a service with a smile and served from the heart because the staff care for every resident in the hotel. The pool area is very quiet and peaceful with a pool bar that gives an excellent service. The room was spotless, the housekeeper made sure that everything was spic and span, what about the reception..... Impeccable amicable service! I am a very finicky person so to write this positive review I was very much impressed with everything! Whenever I am on holiday I expect cleanliness, excellent service and pampering and this is the service you get from this hotel. Well done to all the staff! I wish that everybody does his work heartily like all of you! Keep it up! I will definitely plan my next holiday in this hotel!

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Another disappointment to add to our list, ended up staying for 2 nights when we should have stayed for 5. The room was a good size although our room smelled of chemicals in which my partner couldn't breath properly during the night. We tried to aerate the room during the night and next day but we were a bit worried as the opposing neighbours could get across to our balcony easily as there were no walls dividing us just large plant boxes, and loud music was playing past mid morning so we needed to keep the sliding doors shut to get the little rest that we did. We addressed this with the hotel staff in which they had management come into our room swearing on his childs life that he could not smell a thing, but offered to have our room cleaned. Whilst this was being organised I had a good look through the room and it had definitely been re painted recently as there were paint chips on the floor and plaster dust on the curtains and door frames from sanding. After our room was apparently cleaned these discrepancies were still there (photo's attached). Also the shower would flood quite quickly due to a drainage issue so this was annoying as well. We did not feel comfortable staying at The George so we complained to concierge explaining our ordeal and seeing that we had already been charged for our stay on our credit card??? we politely requested that we stay for the two nights and get a refund for the three whilst we booked another hotel. This seemed hard to do by the staff and had the audacity to try and charge us for the third night because we canceled our stay. We wasted a whole day trying to sort the whole situation, then to be confronted by the hotel manager who seemed nice at the start of our discussion but ended up in my partner and I getting angry and I started to swear in anger as he would not move from the idea of charging us for the third night. After several minutes of arguing he finally came to terms with our frustrations and decided to only charge us for the two nights stay. It gets better, we decided to eat in the hotels restaurant as we didn't feel safe in the streets of Paceville (nightclub city) not St Julian's as we expected the hotel to be situated??? I ordered a mixed grill and my partner ordered a carbonara with a salad to share. There were two Italian cooks cooking for a room of twenty people and they seemed very disorganised, no pre preperation of food from what we could see so they were making everything from scratch, we waited for 50 mins for our food to come out and the pasta was tasteless, salad was cut into chunks with hardly any dressing, and I ended up being served raw chicken which could have sent me to hospital, although I only ate a little bit of the raw chicken I drank half a bottle of wine hoping for the best. I was so angry after all that happened that I showed the waitress the raw chicken expecting to get some sort of compensation, but to be gob smacked to see that they took 5 Euro's off the bill??? I could not believe my eyes and went straight up to the restaurant manager complaining that I could end up in hospital and he could not understand a word I was saying, and the waitress once again explained what happened and then he finally saw how angry I was and didn't charge us for the meal. What does one have to do to get through people's thick skulls??? 2 Stars **

4  Thank Gene C
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your time in reviewing The George.

I discussed your issue with you when you were here as I make it a point to speak to unhappy customers. Although we do may have some faults at times , we would like to assure all our clients that we thoroughly clean all rooms to our very best on a daily basis. As you were not satisfied we let you leave the hotel with no cancellation charge. I suspect many hotels would not have accepted that.

As regards to the restaurant in the hotel, the food may at times take a while to be served but as you correctly pointed out, all dishes are freshly prepared for maximum quality.

I sincerely hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay on our wonderful island.

Malcolm

Reviewed 27 June 2012

A modern hotel in the midst of the party-friendly St. Julien area of Malta. Surrounded by bars, restaurants, and clubs; it is an ideal place to have a great time in Malta. There is a bus stop only 30 meters down the road with connections to some of the nicer holiday locations on the island. Service was very friendly and quick. The rooms were nice furnished with good air-conditioning throughout the hotel. A nice pool to lounge around in on the roof makes this a good choice for any holiday on Malta. Sometimes it may get a little loud, especially if a window is left open or some special event is taking place in or around the hotel.

Room Tip: Book in advance a cheap room for a popular holiday time. If the rooms are still occupied, you get a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends