“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Oslo, Norway
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

A very nice hotel with stylish big rooms and comfy beds. The A/C was a good one! Huge shower! Very central location, but still quiet. Nice spa. Friendly and serviceminded staff. Modern reception area with an available travelagent, a coffeebar and really comfy chairs.

I was under the impression that the hotel offered free WIFI(Internet) throughout the hotel, but this was only available in the rooms for quite a substantial cost. The free Internet was only available in the rooftop bar and in the reception area. There was also extra charges to get more than four TV channels The hotel could have had a bigger and better breakfast- the juice was diluted with water, the fruit was empty an hour before the breakfast was over and the staff took your plate before you finished. The pool on the rooftop was REALLY nice and peaceful, but the experience was ruined the last couple of days because of splashing, noisy children.
Laundry is REALLY expencive here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Roedovre, Denmark
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Great hotel in the heart of Paceville, but quiet and away from the noisy streets.
Clean rooms and a very excellent service.
Everyone were ready to help with places to visit and you can even book trips at a counter at the hotel.
We had a suite which I can highly recommend with a nice balcony including view of the Mediterrania.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Montreal
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Contrary to the comments in some of the other reviews, my own experiences at this hotel were less than satisfactory, to say the least. I had prepaid my hotel room charges (five nights). I arrived at about 3:30 a.m. (I had informed the hotel of this late arrival) and was assigned a room next to an elevator. When I requested a change of room, I was refused (told that no other rooms were available in the category I had booked, even though I had booked about three months in advance), and the night reception-desk fellow was argumentative and somewhat patronizing (again, to say the least...). Anyway, as I was very exhausted after a long journey from Heathrow (London), I reluctantly decided to accept this room assignment, but then discovered other problems: the double-bed was constructed by putting together two single mattresses, and one of the two mattresses had an enormous indentation at one end (almost strained my calf muscle and back when I first sat on the bed...); and the shower was clean, but the drain was poorly designed (the drain cover was about 1/4 cm above the floor), so there was considerable water accumulation during the shower. When I made my room reservation, I was under the impression (from the description on the hotel website) that Wi-Fi (Internet) was complimentary in all rooms and throughout the hotel (and included in the room rate). However, I was told on arrival that there was a charge (quite substantial) for in-room Wi-Fi, and it was complimentary only in the lobby (lounge area) and in a roof-top bar. In fairness to the hotel, I just checked its website a few minutes before writing this review, and they have made an attempt to explain this Wi-Fi service more clearly now. This hotel does have some strong points: the breakfast (included in the room rate) is very good; the location is excellent; the staff in the sky-bar, adjacent to a roof top swimming pool, and also in the breakfast restaurant, was courteous and competent; and the room-cleaning crew was very good. However, from the treatment and services I received, I thought this hotel was way overrated and unworthy of the "urban boutique" description on its website, at least in my frame of reference. I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Please see comments above. Based on my experiences at this hotel, I would not recommend it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ScholarGypsyMontreal
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking your time in reviewing The George. We apologise for any inconvenience encountered during check in and in your room. As the hotel was full it was difficult to allocate another room as all other guests had already checked in.

All our beds have a plush mattress enhancer as we believe a comfortable bed is a must. There may have been an issue with the one in in your room, so I would appreciate if you could advise your room number by contacting me at ma@thegeorgemalta.com so we could put this right.

Thanks,
Malcolm
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just back from staying in the George and I could not praise this hotel enough it should be a five star not a four. Great rooms so stylish and the bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The location was very central to everything also the staff where all lovely. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Juls111176
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a month and loved every moment of it. From the moment of arrival I was warmly greeted by the front desk and every staff member from that moment on was absolutely lovely and always willing to help. Housekeeping were fantastic and made sure the room was always cleaned. Air conditioning was amazing. My room (a big room with small balcony) was very clean and comfortable (once I found the pillow-top mattress cover under the mattress!!). Free internet in the lobby and at the pool deck area which was really good and the pool area itself is a lovely place to relax (though get up there pretty early as it can be difficult getting a sun bed). The location is great and within walking distance to a beautiful morning swim at Spinola Bay. Easy to get on the bus and go to Valetta or Sliema. Awesome time away and I'd highly recommend it to you. I'll be heading back there again for sure in the near future.

Room Tip: A higher floor room with a balcony is great if staying longer than a few days.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Landalu
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We are just back from a ten night stay in The George. We really enjoyed are stay we had a problem with the TV and it was sorted in a friendly professional manner straight away. Throughout are stay nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. Antonio was on hand to make sure our holiday was the best it could be . We felt the staff put your needs first. The hotel itself was excellent its location meant you were in the middle of everything St Julian's has to offer, it really is a lively resort but once you entered the hotel it was calm and refreshing. Our room was spacious the air con was amazing as it was usually around 35 degrees . We would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: It worked out just as cheap to book a penthouse direct via The George's own website.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SeamusSkelton
Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The George Hotel was amazing!!!! The location is great, very very very nice staff from the first moment, near a main bus station (which is very important), good food and very beautiful room!!!
The location of the hotel is also near the main street with all the bars and pubs and very close to the casino also. U will find a lot of restaurants near by, and every thing else that u need.
We couldn't ask for a better hotel and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor, and to the front side (just more quite)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends