“Excellent Service and Infrastructure”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have been a couple of times in Malta and the last three years always in The George Hotel.
The personal is extremly flexible and friendly and the hotel amenities are new and clean.
We also like the location very much, its close to St. Julian Port and also to the beach.
What´s missing is the gym, but they have a great roof top pool and for running we enjoyed the coastal course to Slima. Its about 7 km back and forth.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Hi there,

Thanks for taking your time in reviewing The George. We are glad that you had a positive experience with us. I always recommend the walk / jog along to coast to Sliema, I believe it is a great way to stay in shape !!

Regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I know there are no actual universal standards for the rating system, but you will be shocked if you are expecting the kind of hotel usually in this category. My first tip off should have been the surly and unhelpful gentleman who answered the phone the first time I called. He absolutely refused to take a reservation and told me to just go online and do it myself. He was barely willing to answer any of my questions-- again telling me to go online. I did, indeed make my reservations online, requesting in the space provided for this on the reservation form, a call back or email response to a question about the room. I never received this. When I called a second time, I spoke with a hurried and impatient sounding woman. By this point, I was pretty sure Id made a mistake, but I had a non-refundable reservation. We arrived after a very long journey and we were taken to our room. Ominously sitting in the middle of the room on the coffee table were incense sticks. Have you ever entered a hotel room with incense going?? Not a good sign!!! I opened the door to the bathroom and almost fell over from the mildew smell. Went down to the front desk and they acted like I was crazy. I asked them to come up...the person stuck her head in the bathroom and said "I don't smell anything, there is no problem". Really??? Then why the incense!!! It turned out that there were no more penthouse suites -- the whole reason Id booked at The George, so we had to take a regular room. The terrace was open to the next room, no privacy at all, bad view. The room was inhabited by noisy young men. I had been traveling for over 24 hours and the last thing I wanted to do was go up and down to the front desk, then tromp around looking at rooms -- none of which were odor free-- tho all better than the one they tried to trick us into taking at first. The desk staff said they would try to move us the next day, but I never heard a word on this for the entire week we were there. A big issue is that The George has a serious problem with odors!!! The hotel lobby REEKS of sewer gas odor. REEKS. As is often the case with sewer gas, the smell is much worse at night and consequently, in the evenings, they have incense sticks all over the place trying to cover it up. It is a very very strong smell and permeates the entire hotel. The room was basic. Fairly clean, but kind of shabby. The amenities are sparse. Each day you get one threadbare bath towel and one threadbare hand towel-- also with an unpleasant odor-- kind of like vinegar. No robes, slippers, etc. The carpet feels grubby and slippers would be welcome.There is only shower gel and lotion-- not the usual array of items. Your one measly little bar of hand soap will sit melting by the sink for a week ( maybe longer!) and you will not get a second! Our shower stall did not drain properly and by the end of a shower you were standing in 2 inches of water. The shower and bathroom floors were slippery when wet. The walls of the bathroom literally drip with condensation after a shower. Everything feels dank.The hair dryer is small, old, noisy and not very good. The toilet stinks! Really?? The toilets can't be cleaned well enough not to smell? Unacceptable, in my book. OK, the bed...This is no heavenly bed, mind you! The mattress is like a rock. The hardest mattress I have ever felt. There was just a thin sheet draped over a bare mattress-- not even a mattress pad. Kind of gross, in my opinion. When I complained about how miserable the bed was after a rather uncomfortable night, they did bring a foam pad , which helped somewhat. But really...you have to ask for this? The pillows were chunky and felt like they had hunks of foam in them -- very uncomfortable, and again-- no pillow covers, just a case over bare pillow. Every day they took the couch type pillows, ( not clean or ever changed) and put them on top of your sleeping pillows. Again, kind of yuk. I think the sheets were changed once all week. No option to request clean sheets like at many hotels. When the sheets were changed, they forgot to replace the top sheet.There is no internet in the rooms and no wifi zone. There are some computers in the lobby, but they do not always work. This s a hotel that caters to student tours and sports teams. To be fair, it is much less expensive than the nicer hotels...but you get what you pay for ! On the bright side, the lobby cafe has good cappuccino and nice fresh croissant every morning. Unfortunately, if you want to sit at the sidewalk tables you are likely to be breathing bus fumes and looking at one of the tour buses checking off kids and loading them up-- a process that probably lasts a lot longer than your cup of coffee. The hotel is well situated, but this is a small town and everything is in walking distance to everything else... including several other hotels!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TruestStory
Malcolm A, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Hi there,

Thanks for taking your time in reviewing The George. As you may expect we are extremely unhappy that our product and services did not meet your expectations. I would really appreciate if you contact me directly at ma@thegeorgemalta.com so we could clarify the matter further.

We would however like to clarify that the 'incense' in your room is actually a room scent diffuser which releases a background scent in the room. All our suites have these and most of our guests find these very pleasant. We also change our linen every 2 days as a standard and if this was not done it was certainly not up to our usual standard.

We also encourage our clients to book directly via our site as this will always result in the best possible rate and offer on at that current period and also as a guarantee of reservation both for our clients and for the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We had one of the penthouse suites on an offer in March 2013. It is a lovely room with a balcony. Unfortunately weather was not warm enough to use the balcony much, and the view is not exactly stunning (you can just see the sea but only just) but it was nice to have the space.

The indoor pool, sauna etc are very good. The only ciriticism facilites wise was a lack of WiFi for first two days with no explanation as to why or when it may be resolved - was OK towards end of stay but that may just be fewer people in hotel, if so it will be hopeless in peak season. It is a bit cheeky charging 9 Euros pd for WiFi in your room, albeit this also gives access to 150 TV channels too.

Our main negative was the service - nothing specifically wrong but it is all rather jobsworth; they do what they have to and no more. For example, we could have had a prepared breakfast on day we left at 0600 for early flight but we asked too late the day before; we could have been told that when we checked in. We had to tell them tto that we had free taxi as part of the deal when checking out - again, might have thought they would know that.

But we would recommend overall on bais iof great facilites, excellent accommodation and good position for buses to Sliema etc.

Room Tip: go fo penthouse if you can afford
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking your time in reviewing The George. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look into procedures that may add value to our service levels. I would also appreciate if you could e-mail me directly at ma@thegeorgemalta.com so we could identify your room number as need to address the wi-fi issue that you encountered on your first two days.

Thanks once again and regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed at the George for two days in March on a business trip.
The hotel is in a good location for the area, walking distance to the main attractions.
The staff were very helpfull from the reception to the bar staff.
The Rooms are spacious and modern, however they are not sound proofed so you hear every little noise, more so if you are near the lifts.
The bathroom is well appointed, but I suggest slip proof flooring in the shower.
No tea or coffee facilities in the room.
There is a good TV service and wifi is available at a price.

Breakfast is a relaxed affair and the offerings are good unless you are a fan of the full English breakfast.
The bar is in a comfortable area but closes too early in my opinion.
I had a take away salad from the service area next to the bar and I'm sorry to say it wasn't good, and overpriced.

Not a bad hotel, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the lift
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Hi there,

Thanks for taking your time and reviewing The George. Your feedback regarding our deficiencies will certainly help us in improving overall customer satisfaction. We are just in the process of introducing coffee machines in our Penthouse Suites and our Studios have full cooking facilities including a kettle. We will also look into the food quality at our 24/7 store as you noted.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 March 2013

My wife and I are just back from this wonderful hotel. We booked one of the penthouses and it was a perfect room to enjoy our stay. I have traveled to Malta for a long time and this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. There was a good mix of people ages/couples. The 24 hour shop in the hotel is very convenient and very good value. The hotel is located inland within walking distant of restaurants in Spinola Bay and night life, so you get the best of both worlds. All the staff we encountered, professional and pleasant and we felt very relaxed in this hotel. We look forward to a return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 98David
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We visited here in late 2011 for a weeks break (sorry Tripadviser for getting the dates wrong!). It was a very nice stay. Malta is lovely and the hotel was clean and a great base for exploring the island. My partner was unfortunatey unwell on one of the nights we were there but we were confortable enough in the room watching trash films and ordering room service on that night!

Good value for money and great location in Saint Julian's.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This was a very luxury hotel, staff very attentive, although the whole place was quiet and not many people around due to the season. There was no issue with noise from the Paceville nightclubs mainly due to the season, but we also made sure we booked a sea outlook room which is the other side of the hotel from the nightclubs and bars.

We booked a penthouse suite which was excellent, 2 rooms lrage balcony, very nice for sun bathing when we got some very good February weather! All very modern. Main complaint on the roon is the TV channels, there are lots of international channels but mostly in non-English and you have to pay for them seperatley, for englich speaking you have Sky News and BBC World, i think this is poor for this standard of hotel. You do get free internet wifi in reception though.

The other main complaint was when we arrived at the hotel we were told that the pre-booked meal be had ordered as part of the booking could not be honoured as the restaurant was closed that week for renovations. This was poor, we booked a special offer for meals when booking the hotel and to be told on arrival we could not have this was not good, a courtesy email beforehand would have been nice. They offered a refund of the meal cost only, some sort of other gesture would have been nice to make up for this. The restuarant did look nice and did not appear to be getting work done, I suspect it was closed due to the seaosn for that week to let all staff off on a break.

Health Spa was good, nice pool, not large but room ebough for swimming lengths, spa and steam room also. The changing rooms were small, not really sure how they would work with more people around the hotel. Roof top pool looked great and would be super in the summer, perhaps limited seating though if the hotel was busy. We also too advantage of the health club treatments, the facilities here were very good for massages etc, again it was very quiet but the facility was still open and staffed well, we were suprised when we had to pay seperatley and return robes etc as this spa is run seperatley from the hotel so bills cannot be added to your room bill

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family