“over all good”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Cologne, Germany
“over all good”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

2 nights in St. Julians on business trip. no room ready at around 10 am so came back later around 12.30 hrs, still no room (junior suite booked) ready. Got offer to upgrade to Penthouse Suite room for additional 15 € per night so took up offer. Room with separate living room with flat screen tv and sofa etc. Unfortunately, no tv in bedroom. tv only offers very few channels free of charge, everything else costs extra. breakfast average, nothing special. nice outside pool but not very private. rooms are made up very late (later than 15 hrs) so not surprised early arrival is a problem. On the other hand, I had someone knocking on my door for check out around 10 am when official check out was 11... Internet connection free of charge in lobby but did not work the first day... hotel is quite new but already wear and tear signs especially in bathroom, appliances (shower) fell apart and where not put together by anybody. Very nice & helpful reception staff (woman with Polish name).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom_B_1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Valencian Country, Spain
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I had a 3 day business trip to Malta and the hotel suited me perfectly. It is located in the center of St. Julian's with many good restaurants around and communication links to other parts of the ireland. The room was modern with a nice flatscreen TV. The only upset was to have a free Wi-Fi in the public areas and not in the room.

Room Tip: I have seen a couple of rooms and could not find a big difference with mine.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Breda, Netherlands
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Loved this hotel! St. Julians is a very nice neighbourhood with lots of great restaurants and bars around, and the hotel is right in the middle of the bustle.
Hotel itself is great, the lobby is spacious and very cosy with a coffee bar. The indoor pool with jacuzzi and steamroom were a great way to unwind after a day on the road. I didn't swim in the outdoor pool on the roof (too cold in April!) but man, it looks fantastic, and the view is great!
Rooms are spacious too, with big closets and enough cloths hangers, which I find a relief.
Shower is excellent, and the toiletteries are from Molton Brown!
Anyway, stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the hotel, you can see the sea from there, but it was pretty noisy at...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Nice hotel with helpful staff, very close to Dive Malta where my daughter was doing a PADI course. Centrally placed for bus stop to visit rest of Malta and very close to lovely restaurants. Breakfast selection was good. We got a very good deal on Voyage Prive and would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Darmstadt, Germany
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have been a couple of times in Malta and the last three years always in The George Hotel.
The personal is extremly flexible and friendly and the hotel amenities are new and clean.
We also like the location very much, its close to St. Julian Port and also to the beach.
What´s missing is the gym, but they have a great roof top pool and for running we enjoyed the coastal course to Slima. Its about 7 km back and forth.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for taking your time in reviewing The George. We are glad that you had a positive experience with us. I always recommend the walk / jog along to coast to Sliema, I believe it is a great way to stay in shape !!

Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I know there are no actual universal standards for the rating system, but you will be shocked if you are expecting the kind of hotel usually in this category. My first tip off should have been the surly and unhelpful gentleman who answered the phone the first time I called. He absolutely refused to take a reservation and told me to just go online and do it myself. He was barely willing to answer any of my questions-- again telling me to go online. I did, indeed make my reservations online, requesting in the space provided for this on the reservation form, a call back or email response to a question about the room. I never received this. When I called a second time, I spoke with a hurried and impatient sounding woman. By this point, I was pretty sure Id made a mistake, but I had a non-refundable reservation. We arrived after a very long journey and we were taken to our room. Ominously sitting in the middle of the room on the coffee table were incense sticks. Have you ever entered a hotel room with incense going?? Not a good sign!!! I opened the door to the bathroom and almost fell over from the mildew smell. Went down to the front desk and they acted like I was crazy. I asked them to come up...the person stuck her head in the bathroom and said "I don't smell anything, there is no problem". Really??? Then why the incense!!! It turned out that there were no more penthouse suites -- the whole reason Id booked at The George, so we had to take a regular room. The terrace was open to the next room, no privacy at all, bad view. The room was inhabited by noisy young men. I had been traveling for over 24 hours and the last thing I wanted to do was go up and down to the front desk, then tromp around looking at rooms -- none of which were odor free-- tho all better than the one they tried to trick us into taking at first. The desk staff said they would try to move us the next day, but I never heard a word on this for the entire week we were there. A big issue is that The George has a serious problem with odors!!! The hotel lobby REEKS of sewer gas odor. REEKS. As is often the case with sewer gas, the smell is much worse at night and consequently, in the evenings, they have incense sticks all over the place trying to cover it up. It is a very very strong smell and permeates the entire hotel. The room was basic. Fairly clean, but kind of shabby. The amenities are sparse. Each day you get one threadbare bath towel and one threadbare hand towel-- also with an unpleasant odor-- kind of like vinegar. No robes, slippers, etc. The carpet feels grubby and slippers would be welcome.There is only shower gel and lotion-- not the usual array of items. Your one measly little bar of hand soap will sit melting by the sink for a week ( maybe longer!) and you will not get a second! Our shower stall did not drain properly and by the end of a shower you were standing in 2 inches of water. The shower and bathroom floors were slippery when wet. The walls of the bathroom literally drip with condensation after a shower. Everything feels dank.The hair dryer is small, old, noisy and not very good. The toilet stinks! Really?? The toilets can't be cleaned well enough not to smell? Unacceptable, in my book. OK, the bed...This is no heavenly bed, mind you! The mattress is like a rock. The hardest mattress I have ever felt. There was just a thin sheet draped over a bare mattress-- not even a mattress pad. Kind of gross, in my opinion. When I complained about how miserable the bed was after a rather uncomfortable night, they did bring a foam pad , which helped somewhat. But really...you have to ask for this? The pillows were chunky and felt like they had hunks of foam in them -- very uncomfortable, and again-- no pillow covers, just a case over bare pillow. Every day they took the couch type pillows, ( not clean or ever changed) and put them on top of your sleeping pillows. Again, kind of yuk. I think the sheets were changed once all week. No option to request clean sheets like at many hotels. When the sheets were changed, they forgot to replace the top sheet.There is no internet in the rooms and no wifi zone. There are some computers in the lobby, but they do not always work. This s a hotel that caters to student tours and sports teams. To be fair, it is much less expensive than the nicer hotels...but you get what you pay for ! On the bright side, the lobby cafe has good cappuccino and nice fresh croissant every morning. Unfortunately, if you want to sit at the sidewalk tables you are likely to be breathing bus fumes and looking at one of the tour buses checking off kids and loading them up-- a process that probably lasts a lot longer than your cup of coffee. The hotel is well situated, but this is a small town and everything is in walking distance to everything else... including several other hotels!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TruestStory
Malcolm A, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for taking your time in reviewing The George. As you may expect we are extremely unhappy that our product and services did not meet your expectations. I would really appreciate if you contact me directly at ma@thegeorgemalta.com so we could clarify the matter further.

We would however like to clarify that the 'incense' in your room is actually a room scent diffuser which releases a background scent in the room. All our suites have these and most of our guests find these very pleasant. We also change our linen every 2 days as a standard and if this was not done it was certainly not up to our usual standard.

We also encourage our clients to book directly via our site as this will always result in the best possible rate and offer on at that current period and also as a guarantee of reservation both for our clients and for the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We had one of the penthouse suites on an offer in March 2013. It is a lovely room with a balcony. Unfortunately weather was not warm enough to use the balcony much, and the view is not exactly stunning (you can just see the sea but only just) but it was nice to have the space.

The indoor pool, sauna etc are very good. The only ciriticism facilites wise was a lack of WiFi for first two days with no explanation as to why or when it may be resolved - was OK towards end of stay but that may just be fewer people in hotel, if so it will be hopeless in peak season. It is a bit cheeky charging 9 Euros pd for WiFi in your room, albeit this also gives access to 150 TV channels too.

Our main negative was the service - nothing specifically wrong but it is all rather jobsworth; they do what they have to and no more. For example, we could have had a prepared breakfast on day we left at 0600 for early flight but we asked too late the day before; we could have been told that when we checked in. We had to tell them tto that we had free taxi as part of the deal when checking out - again, might have thought they would know that.

But we would recommend overall on bais iof great facilites, excellent accommodation and good position for buses to Sliema etc.

Room Tip: go fo penthouse if you can afford
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking your time in reviewing The George. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look into procedures that may add value to our service levels. I would also appreciate if you could e-mail me directly at ma@thegeorgemalta.com so we could identify your room number as need to address the wi-fi issue that you encountered on your first two days.

Thanks once again and regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!