“Let down by it's 'in-house' restaurant, bar and 'penny-pinching'.”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Most Briton’s will understand the phrase, “it does exactly what it says on the tin” and the same can be applied to the George Hotel, save for one important area, the 'in-house' Italian restaurant; more about that later!

Returning to the Hotel for a moment, I would say it has many fine attributes. These include the rooftop terrace and swimming pool [which although far too cold to use in February] would definitely be an asset on a scorching hot summer day. Also, the rooms are spacious and the one my wife and me were allocated included two queen size beds, great if one of you snores as in my case! The breakfast too was good with plenty of selection though it was noticeable that when there are fewer guests the buffet disappears in favour of ‘order through the waitresses’; not so good if you want to go back for an extra piece of bacon!
The indoor swimming pool is fine though I would argue the water temperature should be a degree or two higher. The adjacent Jacuzzi was good and had enough space for
4 -5 adults.
In terms of location, the hotel is situated in a back street amongst many bars and restaurants. If you stray a bit further you will end up in a rather ‘seedy’ area which may well suite the younger generation but not, I would argue, anyone who is at the other end of the age spectrum. Just up the road from the hotel are the many bus stops with buses that will take you all over the island. Make sure you buy a weekly ticket for 6.50 euro’s which will give you unlimited travel anywhere.

Now to the in-house restaurant that purports to offer genuine Italian cuisine. My wife and me went there on the first night of our 14 night stay. I won’t go into the specifics here but suffice to say that I refused to pay the bill. The following morning I spoke to reception who advised that the charge had not been applied to my room account which I thought was fair enough. You can imagine my surprise when, some 10 days later, my wife and me were approached by the hotels operations manager who wanted to know why we felt it necessary to decline payment. He is now dealing with this internally and he agreed with us that we shouldn’t have had the experience we did. However, he did advise us that the two beers we had would remain on the bill which, frankly, I thought was a bit petty and not conducive to customer satisfaction. Our only other gripe is that the hotel does not offer any form of draft beer or lager and has a poor choice of bottle beers at over inflated prices.

What this actually meant for the hotel is that we took our custom elsewhere for the remainder of our stay so they have missed out on a sizeable spend which went to the adjacent Valentina Hotel and their Avenue restaurant just 50 or so metres away. Please see my appraisal of the Valentina Hotel because the difference between the hotels is stark!

Finally, I should add that two reception staff at the George were very helpful to us namely Laura and Edgars and Maryanne [who was in charge at breakfast] was delightful. These were genuinely nice people who tried their best to help their clients but it seems to me that their hands are tied by management rules and protocols. With regards to 'penny-pinching', I feel that charging 10 euro’s per hour for extended check-out i.e. for those with late flights is excessive as is the 23 euro charge for a taxi to the airport; the Valentina’s charge by contrast is just 17 euro’s!

So the question is, would my wife and me return to the George Hotel? The answer is regrettably no; on our next trip to Malta will be heading straight for the Valentina Hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor at the front of the hotel or you will probable get lots of street noise, especia...
4  Thank Annian1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The George is a clean, neat and especially very welcoming. The staff is always friendly and willing to take that extra step for you. When we came in the reception staff was very helpfull with storing our luggage and point us out to the hotspots from Malta. And then the poolbar with a pretty view, cool water and refreshing drinks and good food from the italian restaurant in the hotel. The spacious rooms are very clean and look brand new. when you see a housekeeping empoyer in the hall you will always get a smile

overall, a VERY nice experience and will definitly return teo Malta and the George!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed here for a week last January.
The hotel is located in the Paceville area just a few step from the disco area.
We had a studio room, well equipped with nice kitchen and sitting room.
The indoor pool and wellness area are a nice benefit during the Winter time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the upper level. Our room was very noisy due to the people screaming in the street...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mara28miao
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week (February 2014) as part of a Thomson holiday. This is a very modern clean hotel in a prime spot near the middle of Paceville but far enough away from the loud bars and clubs not to be a problem.

It boasts both a roof top pool and bar and an pool and spa inside free to all hotel guests.

Great breakfast buffet included in the price 7:30 to 10:30.

Cheap upgrade to Deluxe room is worth it as includes Queen size bed(s).

Minor disappointments:
Bar - Not open late and no draught beers/lagers
TV - Only a couple of news channels available for free. Various older films and room Wi-Fi at a price.

A great place to stay nevertheless.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris666Mann
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed for one night, taking advantage of a free stay earned through a hotel loyalty programme.

Check-in was brief and functional.

The penthouse suites - rooms 617-619 - are located on the top (6th) floor with easy access to the rooftop pool and sun deck.

The room measured 7m x 5m, subdivided into bedroom with double bed and lounge area with sofa, chair, fridge, TV (150 channels at additional charge), espresso maker, and air conditioning.

The room overlooked the rooftops of Paceville and beyond whereas rooms 614 and 623 have lovely sea views.

Double patio doors opened onto a private sun deck balcony (3m x 5m) with sun loungers, table and chairs.

The double bed had a very firm mattress which we did not find comfortable. There was some construction noise audible from a building site opposite the hotel. It was disappointing that there was no TV in the bedroom area.

The bathroom was fitted with a bath and separate shower cubicle, with lovey Molton Brown toiletries - always a treat.

Room service included tomato pizza €6, Beef fillet & porcini mushrooms €22 and breakfast (coffee/tea, orange juice, croissant and yoghurt) €10 - none of which we tried. We did not take breakfast.

We have stayed at the George before. This penthouse room is perfect if you want your own private sun deck but if that's not important to you then a courtyard room offers better value and comfort with similar fixtures, fittings and amenities.

1  Thank Bellagi0
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Hi there,

Thanks in taking time in reviewing The George. We are glad you enjoyed your stay in our Penthouse Suite all be it for a very short stay !!

We are surprised to learn that you found your mattress a bit too hard. All our mattresses are orthopedic however have a mattress topper (soft and comfortable) to ensure a great night's sleep. I would appreciate if you could let me know what your room number was at ma@thegeorgemalta.com as it may be that the topper was missing for some reason or another. I can also confirm that we are placing TVs in the bedroom area for all penthouse Suites in the coming weeks. Hopefully they will all be installed on your next visit.

Thanks once again and look forward to hearing from you.

Malcolm

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We visited this hotel as a last minute booking via Thomson. My summary is that it is trying to be boutique but failing. The decor in reception is not bad and the breakfast okay, but we paid extra for a junior suite which appears to be 2 arm chairs in a normal sized room instead of 1. We also had to pay €30 for in room Wifi which for a suite is poor. This didn't work in our first room so, having unpacked, we had to re-pack to move to another one. When we reported it, we got the strong sense that it was a known problem and nothing had been done about it. Oh, and if you were expecting robes in the room for the Spa, forget it - well yours for €2 a day.

We ate in the restaurant for an evening meal on our first night and it was by far the worst of our week long break - avoid.

The roof pool was shut for the winter but I have to report the the Spa pool was mouldy and cold. We asked 3 times for temperature to be turned up but no joy. Steam room was broken and Sauna is on a timer so you have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for it to heat up. Jacuzzi isn't much warmer than the pool.

Thomson's brochure describes the hotel as situated in "lively" Paceville. For that read noisy - bring your earplugs as the hotel is en route from bars to the clubs. It is also opposite a student centre and noisy when they finish at 3pm.

So why not Terrible? The staff are very helpful and friendly and the balcony in the morning was a nice place to sit and read. Location is also good for St Julian's etc. although you'd be better staying there.

4  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I been to malta now 8 times and stay at the George hotel 6 times this hotel is very clean and very friendly. i stay in few of the different rooms now which they offer earch one of them was very clean and excellent lay out.and a special mention to the management and staff are very help full and friendly will be back again soon.
thanks to the George for a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank clive m