“A good Hotel, in a noisy location.”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“A good Hotel, in a noisy location.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We Stayed in The George for one week early in March. We found the location useful for busses, restaurants and parking the car we had hired (car-park in basement, at the cost of about £50 for the week). However, the area is noisy, even in low tourist season. The rooms are clean and of a very good size. The beds were likewise large and comfortable. The breakfast was fresh, varied and nicely presented. My only complaint would be the Coffee-machine.(Tiny cups of coffee, only one machine, so queues formed.) We found the staff friendly and helpful. We had booked in for B and B only and were very glad that was the case, as we tried COMPARUCCI RISTORANTE (in the hotel) once- and were glad we did not have to return. Neither the food, nor the service was up to standard. However, the neighbourhood has several excellent restaurants.

Room Tip: The higher you are, the further you are from the street-noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne Gerd C
MalcolmMT, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Hi Anne,

Thanks for taking time in reviewing The George. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and as you correctly noted , we are in a very central location and with lots of restaurant and entertainment facilities around . This may at times generate more noise than is expected and in these instances we recommend that our clients ensure that the balcony doors are well closed. Our apertures are well suited to deal with the external noise and all rooms are air conditioned.

We can also confirm that we have added a coffee machine at breakfast to ease the waiting time. We now have various options of Illy coffee for breakfast. If you do have some time please contact me at ma@thegeorgemalta to explain what was not that good at Comparucci as we would be pleased to improve this too.

Kind regards,
Malcolm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I agree with the others; location is good, rooms are spacious and well furnitured but, the bed was very unconvertible, too many noises (construction in the day time and loud music at night) the AC was off and the room was too hot. you have to pay the TV, the breakfast was very minimal. the WIFI we very slow..... overall OK for yang people but not for business

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank HRH2000
Hi there,

Thank you for taking your time in reviewing The George. All our clients (business or leisure) demand fast and reliable wi-fi and internet service and we are continually trying to improve our connectivity. We have witnessed a huge increase in wi-fi traffic in the past few months and we are upgrading our hardware and internet speed on an ongoing basis.

We also offer complimentary wi-fi in all our public areas and extend this to in the rooms if clients book directly with us.

Please get in touch with me directly at ma@thegeorgemalta.com if I could be of any further assistance.

Kind regards,
Malcolm
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

The location of the hotel is good, the rooms are spacious and clean and it has all the necessary facilities for a business meeting hotel. What is lacking is a more friendly and customer-oriented reception staff that are willing and able to assist the visitor with info about Malta.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ABRAHAM T
Israel
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The George hotel is a lovely hotel in Malta. Great location in a quiet street but 3 minutes walk from whatever you need - buses. supermarket, restaurants .. you name it. Breakfast is very rich, rooms are large and comfortable. And it is not too big that you get lost or get alienated.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank nadi O o
Sussex
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The George Hotel is a very modern contemporary hotel. We were welcomed on arrival and then went to our room, which was lovely. A huge room with two king size beds, a small seating area and a very nice large bathroom. We had a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel. We could see the sea from the balcony, between the rather tatty streets and bleak run down roofs of houses. In all a very nice room. My bed was the most comfortable bed I think I have ever slept in!

The hotel itself is very nice. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Everywhere was immaculate. The spa was good with a lovely pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room.

The roof terrace looked lovely, but because it was winter the pool was obviously out of use, but I am sure this is a fabulous area in the Summer.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful, with a choice that would suit most people.

Would I return her - if the hotel were situated somewhere else then yes I would. However it is tucked down a side street, which is rather seedy, the pavements are all broken, there is building work going on and lots of small bars, which even in winter were loud - I should imagine in the Summer it is very noisy with lots of people having a good time.

Very difficult to rate this hotel - hotel on its own 4 stars, for location 2 stars I am afraid which is a pity.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Luv2TravelSussex
Portpatrick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Most Briton’s will understand the phrase, “it does exactly what it says on the tin” and the same can be applied to the George Hotel, save for one important area, the 'in-house' Italian restaurant; more about that later!

Returning to the Hotel for a moment, I would say it has many fine attributes. These include the rooftop terrace and swimming pool [which although far too cold to use in February] would definitely be an asset on a scorching hot summer day. Also, the rooms are spacious and the one my wife and me were allocated included two queen size beds, great if one of you snores as in my case! The breakfast too was good with plenty of selection though it was noticeable that when there are fewer guests the buffet disappears in favour of ‘order through the waitresses’; not so good if you want to go back for an extra piece of bacon!
The indoor swimming pool is fine though I would argue the water temperature should be a degree or two higher. The adjacent Jacuzzi was good and had enough space for
4 -5 adults.
In terms of location, the hotel is situated in a back street amongst many bars and restaurants. If you stray a bit further you will end up in a rather ‘seedy’ area which may well suite the younger generation but not, I would argue, anyone who is at the other end of the age spectrum. Just up the road from the hotel are the many bus stops with buses that will take you all over the island. Make sure you buy a weekly ticket for 6.50 euro’s which will give you unlimited travel anywhere.

Now to the in-house restaurant that purports to offer genuine Italian cuisine. My wife and me went there on the first night of our 14 night stay. I won’t go into the specifics here but suffice to say that I refused to pay the bill. The following morning I spoke to reception who advised that the charge had not been applied to my room account which I thought was fair enough. You can imagine my surprise when, some 10 days later, my wife and me were approached by the hotels operations manager who wanted to know why we felt it necessary to decline payment. He is now dealing with this internally and he agreed with us that we shouldn’t have had the experience we did. However, he did advise us that the two beers we had would remain on the bill which, frankly, I thought was a bit petty and not conducive to customer satisfaction. Our only other gripe is that the hotel does not offer any form of draft beer or lager and has a poor choice of bottle beers at over inflated prices.

What this actually meant for the hotel is that we took our custom elsewhere for the remainder of our stay so they have missed out on a sizeable spend which went to the adjacent Valentina Hotel and their Avenue restaurant just 50 or so metres away. Please see my appraisal of the Valentina Hotel because the difference between the hotels is stark!

Finally, I should add that two reception staff at the George were very helpful to us namely Laura and Edgars and Maryanne [who was in charge at breakfast] was delightful. These were genuinely nice people who tried their best to help their clients but it seems to me that their hands are tied by management rules and protocols. With regards to 'penny-pinching', I feel that charging 10 euro’s per hour for extended check-out i.e. for those with late flights is excessive as is the 23 euro charge for a taxi to the airport; the Valentina’s charge by contrast is just 17 euro’s!

So the question is, would my wife and me return to the George Hotel? The answer is regrettably no; on our next trip to Malta will be heading straight for the Valentina Hotel!

Room Tip: Go for a high floor at the front of the hotel or you will probable get lots of street noise, especia...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Annian1
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The George is a clean, neat and especially very welcoming. The staff is always friendly and willing to take that extra step for you. When we came in the reception staff was very helpfull with storing our luggage and point us out to the hotspots from Malta. And then the poolbar with a pretty view, cool water and refreshing drinks and good food from the italian restaurant in the hotel. The spacious rooms are very clean and look brand new. when you see a housekeeping empoyer in the hall you will always get a smile

overall, a VERY nice experience and will definitly return teo Malta and the George!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!