“Best Experience”
Review of Boho Hostel

Boho Hostel
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I am a singer who travels around Europe and I stayed in Malta throughout Nov-Dec and came to Boho due to liking what I saw on the web. I wasn't disappointed. It's easy to give the usual cliche's "The place was clean", "The staff were friendly" etc, however these things should be expected for paying customers, right? I actually extended my stay in Malta for another 5 weeks due to the friends I made there and this includes the staff and owner, Penny. If there were ever any problems she was always quick to help and we could contact her at any time day or night (within reason :) ). I am very tall and was pleased to find comfy beds, we also had good lockers and power showers. The water was always hot and in December when it became cold we had heaters for the rooms. I will return to Malta one day and will make sure I visit or stay back at Boho. The hostel is a little far from the town centre but it's actually conveniently located inbetween Sliema and St. Julians. There's also a free taxi service arranged with Boho that picks you up from Spinola Bay 3 times a night.

This was my second time in Malta and it was Boho that really made the difference. Oh, the staff would bring the guests down to my shows every Saturday night too! Even Penny came once! Thanks guys, I'll always love you! ;)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MCharlerySmith

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My first experience with staying in a hostel, could not have picked a better place for it. Great experience and awesome people at the hostel, aswell as the whole staff. I stayed for 3 weeks and time was going so fast there.

One thing worth mentioning, this place is also kept very clean. I'm very allergic to cats and there's a cat in the hostel, but the place was kept so clean all the time that not once I had any allergic reactions whatsoever, which was very positive surprise for me.

If you go to Malta, definetly book your stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Janne K
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent a few days here recently. Owner well organised and so business run well, hostel spotless and tastefully decorated in shabby chic, staff friendly, guests have formed a real welcoming community, for me location was good, excellent value for money. What's not to like? Outstanding in my book much better than some characterless 3 star hotel chafing 5 times the price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The hostel is one of the most chilled places I have been at. The garden with the hammocks is amazing for a night drink and sharing stories, or simple to relax. Definitely my favorite part of the hostel. In general, rooms are pretty good, everything is nice and clean and on top of that, 10min walk to the center, 15 to the best pubs in Malta, in Paceville: Amazing!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed. Perfect location, very friendly staff (specially Penny, the owner who is very nice and helpful). The atmosphere of the hostel is amazing, very relaxing and there is always nice people from different countries around... it was perfect for me because I went there alone and made a lot of friends and enjoyed a lot. Also it was very clean!!!

If you go to Malta, do not hesitate to go to Boho Hostel!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I was recommended this hostel by a local friend, and it was definitely a great find.
Penny, the owner, is an absolute legend, she makes the effort to make sure everyone feels welcome and talks to everyone. She was very friendly and gave us very good tips on places to go within the island.

This friendliness is infectious and soon everyone is talking to each other. I met some really interesting people at the hostel… Atmosphere relaxed… There is a spacious garden available to use, so you feel like you are at home and it makes it easier to mingle with the other guests.

The hostel felt very safe. The rooms were all clean and spacious, they provide a kitchen with full of stuff. The bathroom was clean. The living room is very relaxing with bohemian décor and nice windows looking to the huge garden.

I appreciate the company of the staff and my hostel mates. It is a good melting point from all over the word.
One of the best hostels I've stayed in, if only there were more places like this in the world.
Great for couples, friends and solo travellers. I love it. I highly recommend it.

Lucy Harmon

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

First night, first bedbugs when I was looking for a relaxing week in Malta to escape the cold from Northern Europe in mid-November. I changed the room; there was some relief for some time, but my clothes were obviously still contaminated with these very unpleasant parasites. However, the staff denied and ignored the facts to me with the excuse of having only mosquito bits.

When I complained to the owner next morning, and I asked for washing my clothes free of charge, she threatened to throw me out by the police while I expressed my intention to write a negative review on this hostel problem of bedbugs. I was discredited by the owner of having a bedbug phobia, but finally I got my clothes (shirt and underwear) washed. Thus, I kept calm under pressure.

I thought that I got rid of the bedbugs, because parts of my clothes were washes. However, they reappeared around my neck (I have taken photos of the bits), and I could only get rid of them in washing my clothes, myself and my suitcase at home. I had nervous nights until being sure that I did not bring them into my own bed at home from Boho hostel.

It was a very annoying ignorant deterioration of my short holidays in this beautiful country of Malta! Next time to be avoided.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank D0nald313
HMalta, Owner at Boho Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Hello there,
We're so sorry, but we can't seem to find any 'Donald from the UK' showing up in our records as having stayed with us in November.
We're assuming you've used another name, so if you'd be so kind as to email us with your actual name and date of stay we'll be more than happy to look into the events that occured.
However, having gone through your other hotel contributions (as part of your Trip Advisor Profile seen to all), I can't help but notice that 3 out of the 4 hotels you'ven written on had the same title, 'Bed Bugs!', and I also couldn't help but notice according to your post, your actions followed the same pattern: You complain about bed bugs, have staff wash your clothes for free, threaten to leave a bad review, and finally get a refund.
So, with all due respect, I'm going to take this review with a pinch of salt and encourage readers to do the same.
Rgds,

#5 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Inhawi Hostel
Inhawi Hostel
#6 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Boho Hostel? Share your experiences!